Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duffys baikal deal

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

was looking at duffys website, the baikal deal they have caught my eye, i had planned on an air rifle but my neighbour said a shotgun would be better. has anyone any info on the gun, its only a month offer, if i put a deposit down would that keep it at same price until licence came through

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

The best advice I can give you now is for you to go and hold it in your hand before you go paying any money...Believe me...Photographs can be misleading...I looked and looked and looked and spent hours doing searches..but it all made snese when I saw it and worked the action etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

jap gt wrote: »
    was looking at duffys website, the baikal deal they have caught my eye, i had planned on an air rifle but my neighbour said a shotgun would be better. has anyone any info on the gun, its only a month offer, if i put a deposit down would that keep it at same price until licence came through

you wont go far wrong with a baikal for a first shotgun i traded an old baikal single barrell and bought an o/u new around 16 years ago and it's still going strong,a friend of mine got one a year before me and is still as good as the day it came out of the box;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

From what i have seen the modern Baikal is not a patch on the old ones.

well...I heard that Baikals are not the same anymore...There is a thread under Target shooting sub category about Baikal. on the particular model you were looking at. I actually went and looked at it. Some people are happy some aren't. Just in case if you aren't wouldn't that be rather dissapointing after paying the deposit and applying for a license for it etc...?

Since when you apply for a Baikal you'd be applying for the serial number of a gun which shop picks for you unless you pick one yourself so if in anycase there is something wrong with it, you'd be back and forth between Cork and Galway.

Try a website called irishguntrader.ie to shop around as well...

If you like the gun, make sure the one you want to buy works...

Because I hear a lot of mixed reviews about that particular model...

Beware of internet shopping russian guns! In terms of quality, It can be as risky as shopping for a used car on Ebay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

thanks for the info, maybe someone could give a few tips to best type for a first shotgun, like o/u single barrel etc

• Advertisement

Have you shot shotguns?

yea i go hunting with my neighbour from time to time, only fired off a few rounds would'nt have a load of experience with which would be best type, we mainly just do handling the gun and being safe

Was there anything you liked or did not like about?

he has any o/u, its a nice gun really light nice to shoot but its worth 2 grand so it kinda out of my price range, im thinking o/u would be best as i have a little bit of experience with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Baikal OU kicks like a mule, I've shot one and didn't like it. Have a Baikal Mp-153 which I like well enough for all it's got to do, which isn't a lot in fairness.

What type of shooting do you want to do exactly, as airgun and shotgun shooting could be very different.

• Advertisement

i wanted the airgun to shot crows and rats, but my neighbour was saying shot gun would be better cause i could keep the crows away and hunt with him

It will be you that will be shooting not your neighbour! A shotgun is very loud so it may not suit your environment. A shotgun is the answer if you want to shoot game birds etc. I'm not sure whether you can shoot crows with an air rifle from a legal point of view. I'll leave that to someone else to clear up.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    It will be you that will be shooting not your neighbour! A shotgun is very loud so it may not suit your environment. A shotgun is the answer if you want to shoot game birds etc. I'm not sure whether you can shoot crows with an air rifle from a legal point of view. I'll leave that to someone else to clear up.

yea i know il be shooting it, i value his opinion though cos he is hunting with years, i think shotgun is the way to go cause i really enjoy the game hunting.

yea i know il be shooting it, i value his opinion though cos he is hunting with years, i think shotgun is the way to go cause i really enjoy the game hunting.

If you enjoy game shooting then defo get a shotgun. If i was you I would go and see a few local gun dealers and see what they have. Have a look around before you commit to any brand. You might find a gun with a rough stock but could be a good brand and it could be spot on for you etc. You dont need to buy new either. Good luck with the shooting.

Also maybe you could bring your neighbour with you when you go to the gun dealer for a bit of advice and moral support.

he has any o/u, its a nice gun really light nice to shoot but its worth 2 grand so it kinda out of my price range, im thinking o/u would be best as i have a little bit of experience with them

Fow hunting, the people I know spend 600 max. My work colleague picked up an AYA sidelock for 500.

Second hand off course.

But he was very happy with it.

For hunting I think you'd have wider varieties to pick from. Not quite if you want to go trap shooting.

Fow hunting, the people I know spend 600 max. My work colleague picked up an AYA sidelock for 500.

Second hand off course.

But he was very happy with it.

For hunting I think you'd have wider varieties to pick from. Not quite if you want to go trap shooting.

Where did your buddy get a sidelock aya for 500? It must be a no1 or 2. Now that was a bargain of the century.

Where did your buddy get a sidelock aya for 500? It must be a no1 or 2. Now that was a bargain of the century.

He was delighted. Really delighted. It was a private deal...between friends.

He was delighted. Really delighted. It was a private deal...between friends.

Ah sound, must get myself some new friends:D

By the way,

After the introduction of new gun laws, there will be a lot of people letting go redundant guns. Watch out for bargains!!!

Stay tuned to the www.irishguntrader.ie!!!

Ah sound, must get myself some new friends:D

It is good to have friends.:D Especially the generous ones!!:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement