Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a chance winning PRTB case?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello

Im having serious problems with my landlady and other house tenants. I am being seriously intimated by fellows house mates (once pyhsically threatened) and have constant verbal abuse directed at me. The landlady has sided with the other tenants as there is 5 of them and only me. She told me before that she was worried they wd all move out. and now wants me out instead.

I have contacted the PRTB in ref to an evication letter she sent me. I am contesting it on the grounds of an illegal eviction as I have not done anything wrong. She citied peaceful enjoyment. I have paid rent, nothing broken I am not noisy etc. I am in the property almost 2 years. However, She has become unbearable now doing weekly inspections against my will and saying the kitchen (that I share with now other) is not being kept up to standard (even though the other tenant never cleans it, I do all the cleaning). She is adament to get me out and am worried she will win this case. Just because of 'majority rules'. I like the house Im living in and will move out but I refuse to be pushed out. They bullied a previous tenant out. The 5 tenants are all foreign and I think they are racist towards me also.

Im jus anxious to know what angle to take at this meeting, should I say Im looking for somewhere else to live? or that I want a truce in the house (which I have already tried) jus any advice wd be greatly appreciated.

Also I have asked my sister and mother to come to the meeting, is this a good idea? will they be asked any quesitons??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have to say, i'd be inclined to think you were the problem too. There's no smoke without fire and if there's FIVE housemates complaining about you you must have done something to annoy them? And from the landlady's point of view, of course she's going to take the option of evicting one person rather than evict and replace five...

If it were me, i'd just leave (ensuring I got my deposit back). You could go to the PRTB but it'll probably take at least six months and you'll need witnesses to prove the other housemates were bullying you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Honest answer ...

No.

Cut your losses and leave.

Whatever you do dont play the Racisim card in a formal hearing. Unless you can prove it, it makes you look terrible.

Unless your sister is a witness to anything then i would say its pointless having her there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 747

both parties are jus as much to blame, both sides have created arguements etc, but i have tried to make amends to which they are not interested. The landlady taking their side has made it even worse because they shout at me any chance they get. The house is seperated so I dont even see them that much.

Can the landlady throw me out jus because I am not liked?

I agree about not saying anything bout racism

Thanks

747 wrote: »
    Can the landlady throw me out jus because I am not liked?

No she can't throw you out for being 'not liked' but she can certainly ask you to leave if you're causing trouble, and tbh this is a 5 against 1 "he said-she said" situation so unfortunately I don't see how you can defend yourself.

And besides - do you really want to continue living in that sort of atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Agent J wrote: »
    Cut your losses and leave.
    Agreed.
    Unless your sister is a witness to anything then i would say its pointless having her there.
    Having a witness at any meeting is useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Why would you even want to stay if you can't get on with your housemates?

I want to stay because I like the house Im living in, and as I the house is seperated, I have my own ensuite and kitchen, there are 2 kitchens, so I never see them that much. Also why should I leave jus because they say so? they have caused the problems with me. They were never very friendly anyway so its not that much different. Also, I am being intimated and bullied and i dont think they should get away with that. Their behaviour is unjust.
    I just hope Im not wasting all this energy to be told to leave anyway. Its being going on since May. Its such a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 14,914 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why would you want to live with 5 people who hate you? (unless of course they were your family :pac:)

seriously, move out. Life's too short - even if you were to win at the PRTB, you'd still be living with 5 people who hate you and landlady who'd continue to make your life difficult - do you want to be under that kind of mental stress indefinitely? There's plenty of alternative accomodation out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I want to stay because I like the house Im living in, and as I the house is seperated, I have my own ensuite and kitchen, there are 2 kitchens, so I never see them that much. Also why should I leave jus because they say so? they have caused the problems with me. They were never very friendly anyway so its not that much different. Also, I am being intimated and bullied and i dont think they should get away with that. Their behaviour is unjust.
    I just hope Im not wasting all this energy to be told to leave anyway. Its being going on since May. Its such a nightmare

I think you sound unreasonable from what you have said. It isn't a case of them saying to you leave it is a case of you not getting on with the the other tenants. The average person is not going to believe 5 people just don't like you but that you have annoyed 5 people or at least there is a simple mismatch.

If a group of people dislike you I am sure it feels like bullying. I would expect somebody to physically threaten you at least once after such a prolonged period. It really is best you leave and I can't see many people seeing it otherwise. By staying you are antagonising them regardless of the original reason. If you don't see the sense in you leaving and feel hard done by you really don't sound very rational or easy to get on with. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong most of the time.

What started everything?

It sounds like there's a lot more to this story than the OP is letting on. What started all this, OP?

Are you refusing to move out in the hope you will antagonise the other 5 into leaving? That's the vibe i'm getting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

loyatemu wrote: »
    seriously, move out. Life's too short - even if you were to win at the PRTB, you'd still be living with 5 people who hate you and landlady who'd continue to make your life difficult - do you want to be under that kind of mental stress indefinitely? There's plenty of alternative accomodation out there...

A big +1
    There is no house in the world that should make you want to put up with that.

There is tons off accomodation going now and you will probably get even cheaper rent.

There are times to fight on principle. This is not one of them.

I didnt post to ask who was right in all of this, I know myself that I have been unfairly victimised in a really awful house situation. And I feel it necessary to stand up for myself. The last tenant in the house was also bullied out. I dont need to prove my innocence here, I know it already.

Kipperhell - I wd never expect anyone to threaten me phsically, esp when it is uncalled for and I have never threatened any of them. Also, why should I leave just because they say so? I think I have rights as a tenant not to be discriminated against. By not leaving doesnt mean Im being unfair, means Im standing up for myself, and thats why i contacted PRTB.

The fact that there is 5 of them really makes no difference and hence my orginal question being does majority rules scenario come under any law??? I dont think so. Anyway the 5 foreign tenants are all sheep that dont the capacity to think for themselves. I would never under any circumstances take part in a bullying situation. I would never ostrasise a person like that, and I really think they get a alot of pleasure doing it to an Irish person.

That all said, I agree... it is better to move, but I wont be pushed out.

Cheers

Little overly defensive there 747.There 2 sides to every story.

But seriously, life is too short. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I know myself that I have been unfairly victimised in a really awful house situation. And I feel it necessary to stand up for myself. The last tenant in the house was also bullied out. I dont need to prove my innocence here, I know it already.
    Without hearing their side most people would not believe you at your word. Given your tone and language you sound quite unreasonable. Your story seems strange that after 2 years they suddenly just turned on you.
    Kipperhell - I wd never expect anyone to threaten me phsically, esp when it is uncalled for and I have never threatened any of them. Also, why should I leave just because they say so? I think I have rights as a tenant not to be discriminated against. By not leaving doesnt mean Im being unfair, means Im standing up for myself, and thats why i contacted PRTB.

Again sounding very unreasonable. I didn't say it was right that you were threatened just that it is expectable. If you sound anyway like this in the PRTB I would expect them to think you are an unreasonable person. The number of people will count against you too.

The advice is ultra clear move out and probably drop your case as you are unlikely to win given how you are speaking. I doubt you will learn from this experience as you haven't picked up on what has been explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 chrisr001

You should find a decent place of your own. There's no point living with clown's or paying rent to someone who doesn't care

Also Kipperhell isn't the kind of person I'd recommend you converse with, he seems antagonistic to you, maybe he's like that in general. Don't answer people like that.

Agent J is very suspect too.
    Don't waste time asking for answers here, this country has a long way to go, if it ever even goes in that direction, before property owners learn the difference between right and wrong, It's probably never going to happen, people are either good or bad of their own choice.

chrisr001 wrote: »
    Don't waste time asking for answers here, this country has a long way to go, if it ever even goes in that direction, before property owners learn the difference between right and wrong, It's probably never going to happen, people are either good or bad of their own choice.

Are you new to the internet? Do you understand that Agent J and Kipperhell aren't actually the OP's housemates? :confused:

eth0,

why dont you just break wind instead posting rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You should find a decent place of your own. There's no point living with clown's or paying rent to someone who doesn't care
    Also Kipperhell isn't the kind of person I'd recommend you converse with, he seems antagonistic to you, maybe he's like that in general. Don't answer people like that.
    eth0,

lol. Welcome to banned-ville. Population -> YOU

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eth0,

Chris- 2 week holiday from posting in this forum. When your rights are restored- do not be personally abusive towards other posters.

Im suspect?

I'd take that as a compliment actually.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dustintheturkey

Agent J,
    you'd take a compliment if someone said you looked like Pat Kenny,
    the lot of ye can't help the poor unlucky person who thought they'd get some
    intelligent answers about the men and women in black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just move out, I've been in house shares where there were rows and tension.
    I'm never sharing with a couple in a houseshare again! And they expect the others to take sides sometimes??

When you come home 747 you should be able to relax. Even if you don't want to talk to anyone you shouldn't have to avoid. You say you hardly see them, do you stay in your room all the time? Not so much wrong with that but it's not a good situation.

If your five housemates and your landlady want you out and now you think it's racism then it's hard for me to believe you haven't done something wrong here.
    Time to go, maybe get a bedsit for yourself. There are no shortage of houseshares either.

Cuddint a sed it better meself.
    Good on ya mickeymac!

Many people living in a foreign country worry they could be subject to racism,
    and it seems to be happening because that's what your mind could be filtering out.

You might not have done anythiong wrong but you might be expecting abuse.
    Just relax and let racism go away from your mind.

Try to feel welcome.
    There are always decent people around, but try to find somewhere good if where you are is troublesome, you deserve a happy life.

Guys- calm down.
    If you disagree with what another poster posts- refute the post- without attacking the poster. If you're incapable of being civil to each other- I can and will ban you from this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Go on ya good thing!!

Go on ya good thing!!

This is not after hours- if you want to be boisterous go there.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

i am sorry to hear about your hassle but i don't agree with you reason for staying just because you say the house is nice if this is causing you and others hassle cut your losses and move on, staying on principle isn't the way to go here and going by what you have said the ptrb are going to do nothing for you as there is absolutely no proof of what what you saying.

oh and by the way if you were physically treatened you should have gone to the gardai simple as that

and the way you say "I have contacted the PRTB in ref to an evication letter she sent me. I am contesting it on the grounds of an illegal eviction " this looks like you know your going and just want to make as much hassle as you can before you go

i am sorry if this not to your liking but unless you give all the information all i can say is your wasting your time lookin for vindacation here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RayDarcy

What is missing here is a sense of humour and the positive things in life.
    The comments to the person who started the thread are negative and positive.
    Maybe these type of posts should be properly edited to weed out the negative stuff.
    I think the person initially wanted constructive advice or suggestions.
    Instead they are getting "you're wrong" and "this is what i think of you" etc.

That was just Dustin's way of offering support.
    He wasn't being derogative.

Advertisement