Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet recommendations?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wheeker wrote: »
    What do you all think?

I researched extensively when going to buy a new lid a few months back and I could find nothing from a review or safety test which said the internal visor is in any way dangerous. I have nothing against SHOE or Arai but I don't believe that if something is prohibitively expensive its justifiably better. I know too many people in marketing to ever believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Wheeker wrote: »
    Was immediately told that internal sun visors are only found on "cheap & nasty" helmets & compromised the safety due to the gap where the visor retracts :confused: He told me as regards safety the best are Arai & then Shoei, other helmets being "well below" these brands.
    That's a whole lot of sh!te Wheeker. Of course the "salesman" will tell you that! They're the most expensive helmets! But have a look at the SHARP Test results online and you'll see that some €500 EUR Arai lids are only getting 3 stars... :rolleyes:

I had an Arai helmet (for racing) and I only wore it once. It was the noisiest helmet ever! And it didn't really suit my head shape but I can't hold that against Arai...

I tried a few Shoei helmets on and they're comfy but IMO the inner foam feels "cheap" and nowhere near as comfy as my current RSR2.

I tell you what, go into a shop that sells good helmets (I recommend Cotters where at the moment you could pick up a fantastic bargain!) and try helmets from all 3 manufacturers (Arai, Shoei and Shark and why not try AGV too?) and see which one fits better. A €500 EUR, 5-star helmet that doesn't fit properly is far more dangerous than a €100 EUR, 3-star helmet!

When it comes to helmets, you can't decided via a forum. There are just too many factors:

Price
    Looks
    Safety Rating (depending on who's testing...)
    Ventilation
    Type (full face - flip-up...)
    And most importantly "Fit"!

So go and try helmets on!

That being said, I still highly recommend the Shark RSR2! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Similarly, it's just my head.

Anyway the deal is done and the winner is the XR-1100. Used it coming back from Newry. Very comfortable and pinlock is very cool.

Edit: Oh and although Heine Gericke website only has the one grey XR-1100 they have 3 or 4 of the models. Got mine there.

I was over at the NEC on Friday and was going to pick up one of these. However, there were no deals on them at all. The very best I could get them down to was £365 but then they didn't have my size. I was being told that the suppliers were forcing the retailers not to drop the price.

How have you found the lid so far? Did you have an XR1000 before this?

Was there any savings up in Newry or are they £380 there aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Not had enough time to be able to review it. I like it, it is well made and comfortable and I like the pinlock and whole visor system on it. I didn't own a XR1000, so couldn't say what improvements have been made. Newry are charging £380 as well.

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Not had enough time to be able to review it. I like it, it is well made and comfortable and I like the pinlock and whole visor system on it. I didn't own a XR1000, so couldn't say what improvements have been made. Newry are charging £380 as well.

OK Cheers.

• Advertisement

I was over at the NEC on Friday and was going to pick up one of these. However, there were no deals on them at all. The very best I could get them down to was £365 but then they didn't have my size. I was being told that the suppliers were forcing the retailers not to drop the price.

My XR1100 Hadron just arrived today!! Santa is leaving it under the tree for me so haven't had a chance to test it yet.

The fit is good though and the vent mechanisms seem to operate easier than the XR1000. a couple of Irish winters might put a stop to that though.

I got a good bargain from the UK £300 delivered. Bikeworld are looking for €550. The cheapest Irish store I've seen are Lee Motorcycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Sunglasses?

Perfect until they shatter in a crash and poke through your eyeball.

Advertisement