Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boingy spring sound

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭

I have an M4 I put together here a while ago and just fired it and realised there's a "boing" sound in the gearbox when it's fired.

I swapped the spring in it when it got here to an MS90 and I've a feeling I put the tight coils inside the piston rather than on the spring guide:o

Is this the reason for my boinging?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

CA's are always boinging.

Just depends on the spring brand really, and if there is much slack in them at full extension, try a longer spring or a bearing spring guide to reduce play, but watch your fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

CA's are always boinging.

Just depends on the spring brand really, and if there is much slack in them at full extension, try a longer spring or a bearing spring guide to reduce play, but watch your fps.

Funnily enough the spring is one from a Sportsline:pac:

I'll try flipping it around and see how that goes then I'll get a new one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

if thats the spring from your sportline it ALWAYS bonged like that,I remember it at gorse hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I got the same sound from my Bar-10 a layer of tape around the top end solved it.

weeder wrote: »
    if thats the spring from your sportline it ALWAYS bonged like that,I remember it at gorse hill.

Let me down then and it's still letting me down now, go CA!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

CA equal quality... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

lol, not surprised its a CA.

Get a real spring ye cheapskate :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

long time ago, my old CA M15 Sportsline always made this sound,
    Jack in the Box. Boinnnnnggggg. :rolleyes: Got rid of it. ;)

Looking like a new spring so, thanks to all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

hitman_ wrote: »
    long time ago, my old CA M15 Sportsline always made this sound,
    Jack in the Box. Boinnnnnggggg. :rolleyes: Got rid of it. ;)
    Did you fix it or get rid of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

.22 Lover wrote: »
    Did you fix it or get rid of it?

Nah, Got rid of it, one of my first, so knew nothing of fixing back then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My CA m15A4 (pre-sportsline) suffered from 'boing' despite being a reliable performer otherwise. The boing was the result of a shorter spring if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

I have the same gearbox in my Dboys SPR its soon to be replaced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

knock off the CA bashing... they are a relatively good brand...

Ok, springs, coils ought to be at the back, if its boinging, buy a varied pitch spring, they tend to be longer, thus eliminating the boing without upping the fps (ie its longer and softer, (oh matron)).

Also check your piston, has it got one of those weight things in the back of it holding the head on, or is it just screwed in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

CA, in msot cases are a piece of cr@p.

The reason ya see it with their springs though, is because their spring is slightly thinner than most other springs and it clangs on the inside of the piston when it decompresses. you can stick a small piece of shrink wrap on the spring just below the point where it goes in the piston and it acts as a damper but its easier to just use a promethius spring instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Nearly every M4 I've handled makes that stupid boingy noise, I wouldn't blame CA for it.

Masada wrote: »
    CA, in msot cases are a piece of cr@p.

The reason ya see it with their springs though, is because their spring is slightly thinner than most other springs and it clangs on the inside of the piston when it decompresses. you can stick a small piece of shrink wrap on the spring just below the point where it goes in the piston and it acts as a damper but its easier to just use a promethius spring instead.
    I entirely disagree.... Classic Army are in most cases excelent Aegs.... some lines, namely sportline are a bit crap... don't tar the whole company with one brush... one of the least common brands I see coming to me for repair work actually... G&G are FAR more common, as are ICS and the chinese brands.

Anyway, this can go in a 'ca are a piece of cr@p in msot cases' thread if you wish, lets not clutter this one.

Oh well, your own opinion.
    You obviously haven't seen as many repair jobs as i have., and CA guns (which is common sense with 90% of people) are one of the most common breakdowns across the board.,

back on topic:
    A promethius spring will fix it for ya blay. :)

Think I already mentioned last page a promy would fix it :P

Anyway Masada, lets not go pulling tech rank, i have no interest in such antics, I'm giving my opinion, you yours, I think we ought to agree to disagree. Heaven knows, this place gets too much 'he said shes said' at times.

As i said, its your opinion.

nothin to do with Antics. I know ive seen more broken CA than any other gun and ive been in the business long enough to know. see, theres my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

+1 on CA are crap I bought a sa58 and rpk and both died a dramatic death after 10,000 rds y:(

Back on topic, had a similar noise with a clone m4 and I remidied it by putting fiber washers ( avalible in all good motor factors) on the spring guide and a disk of rubber made from an inner tube between the spring and piston.

Advertisement