Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Style help

• 23-11-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HoneyBabs

I'm 16 and I have no style! :( I don't like following fashions because they usually look awful. I just wear jeans and hoodies but I don't like doing that all the time and its not warm enough for winter. I have no clue about what looks good or anything.
    I need fashion help. Please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I was like you when I was 16... my way of finding my style was walking down the street and taking a mental note when I saw someone who I thought looked good. Same goes for magazines. Just find what you think looks good on other people and keep an eye out for similar things in shops. This will get you to try things you wouldnt have thought of before and eventually you will start combining this with bits that catch your eye in shops and youll end up with a personal stye.
    Definately the thing that helped me the most was just trying on things that i never in a million years would have imagined actually wearing...and while a lot of them were justified in that, there was an equal amount that looked pretty good on!
    Experiment.
    Also, an honest friend along with you can be good when youre finding your feet-sometimes you will need that extra lil push to buy something other than jeans and hoodies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HoneyBabs

I'd like to bring a friend, but my friends are either really fashionable (which sounds great, but they all seem to hate mainstream shops) or are kinda poor, which some of my friends are. It sounds so bitchy but some of my friends get antsy when I spend €20 on a single piece of clothes.

Where are some decent shops. I don't like shops like Penneys, Topshop, etc. I hate any of the shops with clothes that you throw away after a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

try googling street fashion and check out the websites from around the world, the japanese are esp cool and see what you like and then try to mimic it. I'd also recomend shopping in the charity shops because you can buy lovely things so cheaply and then if when you get home and don't like it in your own mirror or can't figure out how to wear it it's no biggy cos it cost feck all anyway. It's also a good way of getting you to wear clothes outside the box a bit because it's so random.
    Most of all just try be yourself and if you can't figure anything out then maybe just try and accept that fashion isn't really your thing and move on, there's so many more important things in life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HoneyBabs

I don't care about fashion that much. I just want to look my best, or reasonably not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

I use online shopping a lot plus just browing online, looking through new stock of online stores (my favorites are Dorothy Perkins, New Look, Topshop) and seeing what you like. Also, remember to search for voucher codes if buying something online. You'd usually get 10-30% off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

If you dont spend more than 20 euro youre going to get crap that youre going to have to throw them out pretty damn quick.

Try a dress over leggings with boots maybe? Or long tops with skinny jeans. They tend to look good on everyone. With regards the cold, just get a decent winter coat. Penneys do great ones for 30 or 40 quid that keep you warm. Penneys are also great for warm knitwear.

What looks good depends on your figure, but you should invest in some wardrobe staples, good jeans, good boots etc.

For everyday clothes, I often wear jeans with cute ankle boots, a top layered over a vest, a boyfriend cardigan and a nice scarf, with dangly earrings and sometimes a chunky ring. It's not exciting, but it's a lot smarter and nicer than wearing jeans and hoodies all the time and it's easy to throw on in the morning before a lecture. You can really mix and match with that kind of outfit as well, you just need one or two cardigans from Zara or wherever, a good pair of jeans. then you can buy a load of cheap tops and bright scarves. I really like dresses as well, just casual ones to wear with a cardigan and thick tights and boots. If you don't get anything overly trendy, you'll be able to wear it for ages.

Advertisement