Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Card Skimmed in the space of three months - unrelated?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Last August my Laser card was most likely skimmed after I noticed transactions were made in the Middle East. The case was settled with my bank and the amount in question was subsequently refunded to me. My card was cancelled and I was issued with a new one. The bank told me that Gardaí found mine and other's card details on a raid during which arrests were made.

Last week two further Point of Sale transactions were made on my account which I did not authorise.

My question is purely speculative - is it possible that the same people made these new transations, or have my new details been simply obtained by others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Very unlikely as the new card should have new information.

Most likely an unfortunate co-incidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My question is purely speculative - is it possible that the same people made these new transations, or have my new details been simply obtained by others?
    Ensure that you ALWAYS hide your hand when entering the PIN number (with your wallet, or something else), and ensure the machine "feels" solid by giving it a bit of a waggle before putting your card into it. Most likely whatever place your card details were swiped last time, they may have been swiped at a similar setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

and if you used those cards online, make sure that your anti-virus software is up to date.

Advertisement