Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dosed Cattle

• 23-11-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I dosed some yearlings and weanling 10 days ago for Fluke and Worms.... they are coughing heavily in the last day or two .... is this normal???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Yes..............but too late to be the dose. More likely a respiratory virus.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

whats the best treatment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

why is it too late, I had cattle that did the same thing after dosing, it passed, just assumed it was the wormer doing its job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

adne wrote: »
    whats the best treatment??

if they are eating and not off form leave alone (virus will not resond to antibotics) however if they are off food and/or showing a high temperature they might need to go on something like alamycim for 3 to 5 days, also a shot of cortisone would help to clear out the airways.

Watch them very carefully, they can go downhill very fast, we had an outbreak last weekend and had to get the vet to administer iv antibotics to one of them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

why is it too late, I had cattle that did the same thing after dosing, it passed, just assumed it was the wormer doing its job

I could be wrong but if it's worms being coughed up then I'd have thought it would be sooner.....levamisole based wormers I've used would have them coughing in well less than an hour. I know the white doses are slower but I wouldn't think that slow.

On the other hand, it's about the right time of the year for pneumonia to take off.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement