Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did anyone hear Roddy Collins tonight on MNS?

• 23-11-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

The panel were talking about how Paul Cook was gracious in defeat and then Roddy says that he goes home then and batters his wife.

Right up there with Pardew and Big Ron imo

First time ever watching that programme, only compounds my belief of how much of a joke that league is when you hear sh1t like that on its weekly programme, certainly not a way to attract new fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Didn't see it but turned on after the break and they were apologising for him and Tony Donoghue took his place on the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

First time ever watching that programme, only compounds my belief of how much of a joke that league is when you hear sh1t like that on its weekly programme, certainly not a way to attract new fa
    Can't believe you're using that incident to bash the league

When you saw those Pardew and Atkinson incidents did you think "Oh the Premiership and Champions League are jokes of leagues"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Glad to see Roddy Collins out of another job. I don't think Pardew's "rape" comment was that bad, it certainly wasn't appropriate for TV but its a common enough phrase. Ron Atkinson's on the other hand... words fail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gustavo wrote: »
    Can't believe you're using that incident to bash the league

When you saw those Pardew and Atkinson incidents did you think "Oh the Premiership and Champions League are jokes of leagues"
    No because in the weeks preceeding these incidents I hadn't heard stories of bus drivers not being paid, Inter Milan haing their electricity cut off or Didier Drogba having two contracts

It is just a further factor that gives the vast majority of Irish people the impression that the league is a joke, that is why we stick to going to Ireland matches or going over to England / Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ron Atkinson's issue wasn't serious at all. He's just old-fashioned and thought nothing of it. Why are people bringing this up years later?
    No big deal. Sure looks at his signings and the precedents he set if you wish to judge his character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What did Collins say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What did Collins say?

Probably should read the first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Des wrote: »
    Probably should read the first post.

Too far away, someone repost it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

First time ever watching that programme, only compounds my belief of how much of a joke that league is when you hear sh1t like that on its weekly programme, certainly not a way to attract new fans

So did you think all Champions League clubs were KKK members when Ron Atkinson had a go at Desailly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is Collins still employed in Malta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

The panel were talking about how Paul Cook was gracious in defeat and then Roddy says that he goes home then and batters his wife.

Should look at bit closer to home, sure his own brother Steve knocked 40 bells out of his missus on a daily basis till she got the courage to leave him and drag him through the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Can't believe he said that on tele :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I intended to watch this after work but was absolutely wrecked after the shift, mad thing to say, especially on television. There could be legal reprecussions not to mention never being asked onto that show again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Can't see why Roddy Collins would turn you off our fantastic league, just because MNS isn't up to MOTD standards please don't knock the League of Ireland.

When you decide to get up off your arse and get yourself down to a couple of LOI games, i don't feel you have the right to comment on the condition of the LOI. From a Shamrock Rovers season ticket holder for the past 12 years, a proper football supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Can't see why Roddy Collins would turn you off our fantastic league, just because MNS isn't up to MOTD standards please don't knock the League of Ireland.

When you decide to get up off your arse and get yourself down to a couple of LOI games, i don't feel you have the right to comment on the condition of the LOI. From a Shamrock Rovers season ticket holder for the past 12 years, a proper football supporter.
    CantGetNoSleep
    First time ever watching that programme

Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Em, it wasn't live, what was the exact wording too? The editor's at fault too in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So this is another excuse not to go to football matches???

F*ck sake!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Villain wrote: »
    Didn't see it but turned on after the break and they were apologising for him and Tony Donoghue took his place on the panel

This was the last episode of the season and every panelist was there so they were swapping the panelists around after each ad break!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

From a Shamrock Rovers season ticket holder for the past 12 years, a proper football supporter.

Be careful on that high horse, just because someone doesn't go to LOI doesn't mean they aren't a proper soccer fan, I've played soccer for 20 years and managed under age teams for years I have never been to a LOI match but if you think I'm not a proper football fan I'd love to debate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

only compounds my belief of how much of a joke that league is when you hear sh1t like that on its weekly programme, certainly not a way to attract new fans

You were going to get slaughtered for this, what a silly thing to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

As a LoI fan I never get involved in these arguments, but to say a league is a joke because of a comment from a pundit makes no sense at all.

There's about 100 legitimate reasons to say the league is bad, but Roddy's comments ain't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

So you have to go to LOI games to be a 'proper football supporter'?! Utter tosh, maybe if most of the teams played 'proper football' that was appealing to the public, the league wouldnt be in such a state. I remember my father bringing me to countless god awful LOI games in god awfull stadiums which severly tested my love of the game, they were of course some games that were exceptions, but that was the point an exception..

EVERYONE as a football supporter has the right to comment on our national league, whether they go to games or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If you want your love tested you should of gone to terryland park when the new stand wasn't there everyone in horizontal rain bad times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

SantryRed wrote: »
    Em, it wasn't live, what was the exact wording too? The editor's at fault too in all fairness.
    Why? Isn't it a live show? I don't see what the editor can do. If he's been dropped after the break and they've apologised for him, there's not much else they can do.

I missed the show but I can imagine Roddy won't be allowed back, thank God. The guy's a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

If anything this should encourage the OP to go to more games to form an opinion for himself rather than listening to the ideas of some of the panelists who clearly haven't got a clue.
    Though, in fairness I think some people are taking it out of context and even though it was an idiotic thing to say his point was that Cook wasn't taking his anger out on the ref, Collins' opinion of where he was was stupid and disrespectful, but the original point was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If you want your love tested you should of gone to terryland park when the new stand wasn't there everyone in horizontal rain bad times

Summer football, eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

If thats the premise for liking of disliking a league surely Andy Gray has turned millions off the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone have a clip of this? Cant seem to find it on the Rte site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If thats the premise for liking of disliking a league surely Andy Gray has turned millions off the EPL.
    How many wife-beating comments has he made?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If it gets on the rte player tomorrow it's bound to be edited. Maybe someone taped it and will youtube the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Everyone has know for years that Roddy Collins is an idiot and now thankfully he'll probably never be allowed on rté again.

Rte dont seem to show MNS on their Rte Player site so its unlikely they will show this. Hopefully someone has it saved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Although not appropriate i thought it was hillarious. Great programe tonight much more enjoyable than a stale MOTD.

Rte dont seem to show MNS on their Rte Player site so its unlikely they will show this. Hopefully someone has it saved

Yes they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

sd08 wrote: »
    If anything this should encourage the OP to go to more games to form an opinion for himself rather than listening to the ideas of some of the panelists who clearly haven't got a clue.
    Though, in fairness I think some people are taking it out of context and even though it was an idiotic thing to say his point was that Cook wasn't taking his anger out on the ref, Collins' opinion of where he was was stupid and disrespectful, but the original point was true.
    Couldnt make head nor tail of that post sorry, after reading it 4 or 5 times:confused::o

• Advertisement

Yes they do.

There is one 50 second clip on RTE player about MNS. They do snippets and smaller bits on their site but dont seem to upload full episodes. Send me the link if you find them

There is one 50 second clip on RTE player about MNS. They do snippets and smaller bits on their site but dont seem to upload full episodes. Send me the link if you find them

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1059721

Tonights will probably be there at some stage tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

GerCPM wrote: »
    Couldnt make head nor tail of that post sorry, after reading it 4 or 5 times:confused::o
    Well anyone basing their opinions off of a bumbling fool like Roddy Collins and should instead go out to matches to see for himself.

As for my second point, yeah it was a bit confusing.:o What I was trying to say was that the panel make the point of Paul Cook not critising the ref and then Collins comes out with that, my point was that the thing about the ref was true and Collins just took away from that with the idiocy of his comments afterwards.
    Hope that clears up any confusion.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The indignant hand waving reaction in this thread is ridiculous. The LOI has received a ton of bad press recently (the majority of which is well merited). When a loudmouth in flashy attire - who was a successful LOI club manager in his time - comes out with a comment like that and doesn't reappear in the studio after the next break, it surely serves to reinforce negative stereotypes about the league as a backward, unprofessional two-bit organization.

Everyone back-snapping with "but what about Andy Gray / Atkinson / etc" would have a point if the EPL or CL had done much in its past that was incompetent and unprofessional to the same degree as LOI clubs being forced on the radio so as to appeal for bus fare. The timing of this is unfortunate for people who are passionate about the league, and RTE may very well be smart enough to minimize its impact.

But to claim that it won't impact negatively with guys dipping into the show tonight in the wake of a dramatic nationally televised cup final is very Ostrich like in nature:

ostrich-head-In-Sand.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The LOI has received a ton of bad press recently (the majority of which is well merited). When a loudmouth in flashy attire - who was a successful LOI club manager in his time - comes out with a comment like that and doesn't reappear in the studio after the next break, it surely serves to reinforce negative stereotypes about the league as a backward, unprofessional two-bit organization.
    If the FAI produced MNS, then you might have a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

djpbarry wrote: »
    If the FAI produced MNS, then you might have a point.

You guys keep firing out technicalities. It's much simpler than that for people casually tuning in to MNS. They will associate it with the LOI / FAI, because guess what - it's about the LOI!! And tonight, it is extremely likely that the show would have had an above average number of casual viewers giving it a whirl following the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The amount of sh1t on this thread is unreal, half of you more concerned with the fact that if some of us don't go down to your little corrugated sheds in fields to watch matches then we are not real football fans than the fact that your only highlights show has just become made a highly inappropriate comment about one of the managers in this league. The LOI is a joke boys, and 99% of the country agree with that. And most of that 99% are not in the slightest bit worried about your PONTIFICATING on message boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No it only compounds how much of a fool you are for basing the League on one person.
    Villain wrote: »

Wrong, they were changing the panel after each break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The amount of sh1t on this thread is unreal, half of you more concerned with the fact that if some of us don't go down to your little corrugated sheds in fields to watch matches then we are not real football fans than the fact that your only highlights show has just become made a highly inappropriate comment about one of the managers in this league. The LOI is a joke boys, and 99% of the country agree with that. And most of that 99% are not in the slightest bit worried about your PONTIFICATING on message boards

Go and ..... Stop f*cking WUMMING.

Right the LoI is some what of a joke, the standard isn;t great BUT the conference in England get roughly the same average attendence as over here in the Premier division and I can tell you Drogheda Utd could beat any conference team and the standard is a lot better here. Now what does that say about the Oirish fans? They don't have pride or passion to football, simple as.

Whether I see Shels in a field playing in the LSL or in the Champions League against Man Utd in Tolka, it's Shels, they're Irish, they're my club which I put time and effort into going to every match, selling progammes, DVD's, etc... they may be sh*t but they are (were) my local club and well that beats supporting any poxy British club on a poxy TV every 2nd week.

Standard is only a small part in football to the majority of the worlds football fans, the rest is pride, passion and an identity, only to the Oirish is supporting a foreign club the norm in any country in the world.

FTA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Not really I know people in Malta who only support foreign teams, A couple of them follow Italian clubs (Inter is one and Juve is the other I think) and about 4 support English teams (United and Liverpool) So its not just Ireland and yes Malta does have its own national league. People seem to be pushing the LOI down peoples throat just so they can go "I liked it before it was cool", you should be happy no one goes, you get that place that you always stand/sit you never have to worry about the place being sold out, you don't have to pay for flights over to England to watch your match. Fair enough that's what you want, but other people want different.

So "real supporters" fine call yourself whatever you want when your standing in the freezing rain with 5 lads around you, shouting at lads who aren't arsed as they are not getting paid as the midfield dosn't get the ball as the ball flies over their heads. Sure call yourself the pope, no one is listening.

Oh and before anyone asks, I used to play football every week but had to quit due to injury, I go out every week and stand on the sidelines watching the lads play in the rain and all that jazz without any sort of shelter. So am I more of a real supporter than you lot?

Speaking of Pardew. Try typing his name in a text message using predictive text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Go and ..... Stop f*cking WUMMING.

Right the LoI is some what of a joke, the standard isn;t great BUT the conference in England get roughly the same average attendence as over here in the Premier division and I can tell you Drogheda Utd could beat any conference team and the standard is a lot better here. Now what does that say about the Oirish fans? They don't have pride or passion to football, simple as.

Generalisation and Dogmatic
    Whether I see Shels in a field playing in the LSL or in the Champions League against Man Utd in Tolka, it's Shels, they're Irish, they're my club which I put time and effort into going to every match, selling progammes, DVD's, etc... they may be sh*t but they are (were) my local club and well that beats supporting any poxy British club on a poxy TV every 2nd week.

Generalisation and Dogmatic
    Standard is only a small part in football to the majority of the worlds football fans, the rest is pride, passion and an identity, only to the Oirish is supporting a foreign club the norm in any country in the world.

FTA

And i wouldn't agree with that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You guys keep firing out technicalities.
    Please don’t tar everyone with the same brush.
    It's much simpler than that for people casually tuning in to MNS. They will associate it with the LOI / FAI, because guess what - it's about the LOI!!
    Maybe, but that doesn’t make it any less ridiculous. If it was Paul Cook who insulted Roddy Collins, then you might have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

All sport is parochial in nature lads, like it or lump it. If you choose to follow a team that you have no personal or geographical attachment to, you may really, really enjoy it, but there will always be something missing.

In relation to MNS, I'd be more embarrassed about the MNS Factor slot, than the ramblings of a tool who should never have been on in the first place. If anyone uses him or the show as an excuse to bash the LOI must surely have though the premiership was muck when ITV had highlights, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Roddy managed Bohs to a league title in 2001 and I will always
    be grateful for that.

He's not a bad manager but should stay off the telly as he talks rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement