Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did anyone hear Roddy Collins tonight on MNS?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

The panel were talking about how Paul Cook was gracious in defeat and then Roddy says that he goes home then and batters his wife.

Right up there with Pardew and Big Ron imo

First time ever watching that programme, only compounds my belief of how much of a joke that league is when you hear sh1t like that on its weekly programme, certainly not a way to attract new fans

I really cant get over how much of a fuss this has caused! It was said in jest, which to me and me da was clearly obvious! We fell around laughing, as did everybody else in the studio!

It was a bit of humour and banther, which happens in football between football people! Im sure Paul Cooke would not be offended in the slightest!

Best MNS of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The amount of sh1t on this thread is unreal, half of you more concerned with the fact that if some of us don't go down to your little corrugated sheds in fields to watch matches then we are not real football fans than the fact that your only highlights show has just become made a highly inappropriate comment about one of the managers in this league. The LOI is a joke boys, and 99% of the country agree with that. And most of that 99% are not in the slightest bit worried about your PONTIFICATING on message boards

Well done trying to deflect the issue but that's clearly not what people have a problem with in your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

The amount of sh1t on this thread is unreal, half of you more concerned with the fact that if some of us don't go down to your little corrugated sheds in fields to watch matches then we are not real football fans than the fact that your only highlights show has just become made a highly inappropriate comment about one of the managers in this league. The LOI is a joke boys, and 99% of the country agree with that. And most of that 99% are not in the slightest bit worried about your PONTIFICATING on message boards

Inappropriate as it was, and it was, it was funny.

I'm very much a LOI fan, I don't, however, like the notion that we are better fans than anyone else. Saying that, I don't like the Sky Sports mentality at all where Stoke V Portsmouth is SUPER AWESOME SUNDAY!!!! 11 !!

LOI can't compete with Sky on production values, number of cameras at games, overall quality of football (although we have sent over some incredibly talented players) but where we can compete is having characters. As bad and all as Roddy is, he gets people talking, Jamie Redknapp, Alan Hansen or Alan Shearer never do. MNS has some great pundits who fuel conversation so I think we need more of that. (Minus the wife beating jokes.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I dunno about anyone else, but this particular phrase or a slightly different phrasing of it would be a fairly common one for me to hear. Common in so far as I've heard it from people a few times in the course of my life as a joke.

Storm in a teacup!

I highly doubt that Collins meant his statement literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

It's a variation of the old go home and kick the dog joke, just a lot more tasteless in some people's eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

lol, no-one should pay attention to Roddy Collins or anything he says, anyone who has seen the classic tv series The Rod Squad knows how much of a chancer he is.

Who's Roddy Collins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Collins joke is a bit tasteless for prime time TV alright but c'mon ffs are we all that pissy that we can't accept a low brow joke without throwing toys out of a pram?

Between this and the Zaki thread yesterday its convincing me that this forum is getting ultra PC in its old age. Seems like its finally getting sanitized in the way the powers that be want it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Any youtubeage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Collins joke is a bit tasteless for prime time TV alright but c'mon ffs are we all that pissy that we can't accept a low brow joke without throwing toys out of a pram?

Between this and the Zaki thread yesterday its convincing me that this forum is getting ultra PC in its old age. Seems like its finally getting sanitized in the way the powers that be want it to be.

It's moral indignation week. You didn't get the memo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Maybe he meant this Paul Cook?

paulindex7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do you think any girls / women tuning into the show would have made of the "low brow joke"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Go and ..... Stop f*cking WUMMING.

Next person I see that says "stop wumming" to another poster in a LOI related thread gets a two week ban. Cheers.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Next person I see that says "stop wumming" to another poster in a LOI related thread gets a two week ban. Cheers.
    I'm guessing it's a popular term but what does it mean? I've never heard it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's a popular term but what does it mean? I've never heard it before.

W.U.M = Wind Up Merchant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Eh, its you that's pontificating, who in their right mind would want you to go to a LOI game? You are right tho, I have little to no interest in anything Roddy Collins has to say, not really sure why I should.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    W.U.M = Wind Up Merchant
    Oh. Cheers.

Why don't people just say Troll?

Troll(ing) makes sense, Wind Up Merchant(ing) doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You guys keep firing out technicalities.

It's a pretty big technicality in fairness Lloyd. He's not the first pundit to come out with an incredibly dumb faux pas, and he won't be the last. I don't think anybody called the CL a joke when Big Ron made his racist comment on an ITV-produced show, and I don't think anybody called the Premier League a joke when Rodney Marsh made a a tsunami joke on a Sky-produced show. There are many debates about what's wrong with the league, but controlling the idiotic comments of one loud-mouth on an independently produced show shouldn't fall into that scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

MNS is hardly in the top Irish programme listings though. A lot of people have probably only heard of Roddy Collins but I will say he is one of the most annoying pundits anywhere.

I wouldn't give two ****d about what he says. I know he made a comment that is a sensitive issue that wasn't called for and this only confounds why I hate him. Over the top in every ****ing manner.

I doubt that people will now boycott Irish football or anything like that. Attendances will still be bad and people will still make these "I am a better fan than you" to make excuses for why they go to the matches that only 2000 people will go to on a good week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I genuinely cannot believe that a wind up thread has gone this far. For shame.

It was a joke, get over it.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    What do you think any girls / women tuning into the show would have made of the "low brow joke"?

Football is not for women. Apparently there are "man" jokes all the time on Oprah.

• Advertisement

I don't know. Some might laugh, some might take offence, some might think (justifiably) that Roddy Collins is a bit of an eejit. I can't answer for womenkind, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

roddy collins is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I hate all this "oh looks like the PC brigade have won" garbage, what he said was highly innapropriate and unproffesional, it's not about political correctness it's about having a bit of cop on which as everyone know Roddy Collins has a severe lack of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

he didnt say he goes home and beats his wife. it was only a comment in response to cooks 'take it on the chin' attitude after the interview... 'ya wanna see him when he goes home to his wife'... cracked up everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

A FEMALE friend of mine was watching it and she found it very funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Danye wrote: »
    A FEMALE friend of mine was watching it and she found it very funny!

Regardless, wife-beating jokes CANNOT be allowed onto football highlight shows.

Christ, that one female found it funny matters not a jot.

I'd find it amusing if Lineker, Hansen & Lawrenson started joking about wife beating tbh. Stan Collymore on the otherhand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd find it amusing if Lineker, Hansen & Lawrenson started joking about wife beating tbh. Stan Collymore on the otherhand....

Or Andy Gray demonstrating it on his touch screen thing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It's a pretty big technicality in fairness Lloyd. He's not the first pundit to come out with an incredibly dumb faux pas, and he won't be the last. I don't think anybody called the CL a joke when Big Ron made his racist comment on an ITV-produced show, and I don't think anybody called the Premier League a joke when Rodney Marsh made a a tsunami joke on a Sky-produced show. There are many debates about what's wrong with the league, but controlling the idiotic comments of one loud-mouth on an independently produced show shouldn't fall into that scope.
    That is because neither the PL or CL are jokes, but the LOI clearly is a joke, no matter what anyone on here says.

I watched Barca v Inter tonight from my warm armchair. It was a great match. If someone here thinks I am not a real fan because of that, I quite frankly could not give a fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

That is because neither the PL or CL are jokes, but the LOI clearly is a joke, no matter what anyone on here says.

I watched Barca v Inter tonight from my warm armchair. It was a great match. If someone here thinks I am not a real fan because of that, I quite frankly could not give a fcuk

Well its nice that you've a thick skin, but if you think this is merely a LOI fan thing, I suggest you ask a Barcelona fan from Barcelona or an Inter fan from Milan, and see how they view the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I also watched this game

but I also watched Sligo Rovers and Sporting Fingal from a pissing down gale force windswept Tallaght and it was also a great game , except for the result :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

gustavo wrote: »
    I also watched this game

but I also watched Sligo Rovers and Sporting Fingal from a pissing down gale force windswept Tallaght and it was also a great game , except for the result :mad:

No joke, that was only a mild winter wind in Tallaght. There's far worse to come yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Did a video of this appear online? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rumour has it he may be the new Cork City manager he left his post in Malta thats for sure and was on newstalk there that he was talking too Cork City.

We will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Danye wrote: »
    I really cant get over how much of a fuss this has caused! It was said in jest, which to me and me da was clearly obvious! We fell around laughing, as did everybody else in the studio!

It was a bit of humour and banther, which happens in football between football people! Im sure Paul Cooke would not be offended in the slightest!

Best MNS of the season!

Just reading the OP and thinking of Roddy saying it had me in stitches.

PC brigade strikes again!! Give it a rest, will ye?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Will this allow people to think the league is more of a joke?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1216/collinsr_corkcity.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mayordenis wrote: »
    Will this allow people to think the league is more of a joke?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1216/collinsr_corkcity.html

Cork are a joke at the moment. The Roddy joke will be subsumed within that.

That said, why do you care if the league is a joke or not?

Advertisement