Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get pictures of Mammatus clouds in Galway on Saturday?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi
    Just wondering did anyone get any pictures of the amazing Mammatus cloud formations in South Galway near Gort / Ardrahan on Saturday, I have a dozen cameras but none in the van with me on Saturday, was just after 4pm and light was perfect catching the formations, balls and tubes of light coming down out of the grey sky, really amazing to experience, someone must have captured them.... maybe they'll appear online in the coming weeks, hope so

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hi Saint.
    I tried to capture some of those mammatas clouds here in North Galway on Saturday after a thunderstorm but didn't get to capture them well. If these are any use...:o

Around 2.30pm when the shower had moved a little to the north:

DSC02112.jpg

About 15 mins later, there was some incredible mamma but camera did not pick up on them due to bad tone of light: :o

DSC02122.jpg

Shower had moved in over Co Roscommon at this stage but too far away focus in on larger mams:

DSC02135.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

While the shower moved away, the stark clearence coming up from the Bay struck me and was quite notable:

DSC02136.jpg

The vauge cumulus you might be able to see at the bottom of the sky are actually over the Burren in North Clare, that is, about 30miles from here, such was the clearness of the sky once the squall cleared. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Second pic is great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Got this one Saturday in Galway after the thunderstorm was going away, I thought one time it was going to turn into a tornado.

P1010017-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

That is a fine shot Storm 10.

I took this picture around the time the thunderstorm was approaching Galway City:

DSC02104.jpg

The hugeness of the clouds are apparent as I am 20 miles north of the coast! Within 10 mins I could here deep rumbles, which were quite eerie sounding as it made its way northwards. I was stunned at how rapidly the storm moved in. Within 15 minutes, it has reached here and I was awed at how dark and eerie it became as the storm beared down over Tuam:

DSC02110.jpg

I recorded my 2nd highest rain rate of 2009 during that shower, an incredible 136.9mm/ph! No hail though but it was an experience and an honour to witness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The_Saint

Hi they're all great photos!
    Deep Easterly - second and third shots are catching those Mammatus pretty well.
    What I saw was lit by the light around 4pm and light was hitting everything just under the main cloud showing balls and even huge tubes of cloud coming downwards - was overhead and as surreal as the sky gets
    Thanks for the photos, enjoying them all

• Advertisement
Advertisement