Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best tyres for wet road???

• 23-11-2009 11:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭

after a very light crash i decidet to change my no name tyres on the front wheels..my 03 laguna is sliding at 30-40 km/h on the wet road, if i push the brake hard..and i blame the tyres.. NCT passed no long ago. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How long are these Rods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I had Goodyear eagle NCT 5's on my last 2 cars and thought they were very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Stekelly wrote: »
    I had Goodyear eagle NCT 5's on my last 2 cars and thought they were very good.

I have them on my Integra and they really struggle for grip in the wet, reviews had stated they would be bad in the wet but i didn't think they would be as bad as they are!

I had bridgestone turanza er300's on it before and they were excellent, very good grip in both wet and dry, they just didn't last very long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

my 03 laguna is sliding at 30-40 km/h on the wet road, if i push the brake hard

your abs is broken :D

Semperit if you can source them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

peasant wrote: »
    your abs is broken :D
    i was thinking about that

i feel like the back wheels dont help to much,,but i past nct 4 month ago,and i put the car tu a tester, and no error show on the ABS. Brake pads all new. what else i can do to be sure the abs it ok??? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i was thinking about that

i feel like the back wheels dont help to much,,but i past nct 4 month ago,and i put the car tu a tester, and no error show on the ABS. Brake pads all new. what else i can do to be sure the abs it ok??? thanks

You could try jamming on in the dry to see if you skid, should be quite noticable.

Obviously this is doen with no other traffic around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I've got two Toyo Proxes on the front of my Civic, I think they're doing a great job of keeping me in line. Back wheels have a set of Potenza 888's I think they're called.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

draffodx wrote: »
    I have them on my Integra and they really struggle for grip in the wet, reviews had stated they would be bad in the wet but i didn't think they would be as bad as they are!

I had bridgestone turanza er300's on it before and they were excellent, very good grip in both wet and dry, they just didn't last very long

I found bridgestone and Conti's to be excellent in the wet, but they both lay down a lot of rubber, thus as you said, they don't last very long at all... maybe that's the price you pay for proper traction.

One of my brother's has P4000 on his car... they've lasted years, but I'm always disgusted with the grip when I take his banger for recycling duties on a wet day... no grip whatsoever... tire spins on a swift take-off and have no road-holding on corners, but then again, I just called his car a banger, so my low opinion on the Pirelli brand might be due his motor, but I have ample driving experience to judge an iffy tyre when I drive one.

... I've said it on this site before and I'll say it again... Vredrestein(sportrac 3) are excellent in the wet... More for handling and acceleration... touch wood, but I haven't had the need to slam-on the brakes(in the wet) since I put them on... on regular braking in the wet, they're class... great groove pattern that disperse water and very reasonably priced at camskill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

B11gt00e wrote: »
    Vredrestein(sportrac 3) ..... at camskill
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I've got two Toyo Proxes on the front of my Civic, I think they're doing a great job of keeping me in line. Back wheels have a set of Potenza 888's I think they're called.

Toyo Proxes are made of a soft compound so have huge grip in the dry but once the rain comes down they're not as good. They're good tyres but not one to be recommended for wet roads specifically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

Replaced my tyres the other day with them again because they were so good the last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Uniroyal rainexpert or uniroyal rainsport tires.
    Nothing comes close to their performance in the wet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I can tell you some not to buy:

Hankook, Kumho, Triangle, Sava, Roadstone. Just awful....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

RoverJames wrote: »
    Semperit if you can source them.

I agree i have low profile semperits cant remember which ones but they are alpines and have had no grip issues in any weather not that expensive either.

Saab Ed wrote: »

Hankook...

I am surprised to see Hankook there to be honest, they are a very good tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

EPM wrote: »
    Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

Replaced my tyres the other day with them again because they were so good the last time

+1
    Have them on an audi quattro. Superb holding - wet and dry.

federal any good? or they are in the bad tyres list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Goodyear F1 assymetrics all the way - best tyre i've ever had,not available is small sizes though i don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

high horse wrote: »
    Toyo Proxes are made of a soft compound so have huge grip in the dry but once the rain comes down they're not as good. They're good tyres but not one to be recommended for wet roads specifically
    I'm getting new tyres all round for winter this week or next, so I think I'll get some of those Vredestein's.
    Then when the time comes I'll get Proxes* all round :D

*Drivers side front is giving up on me with a damn puncture/sidewall damage =[

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Saab Ed wrote: »

Hankook, Kumho, Triangle, Sava, Roadstone. Just awful....

A friend of mine recently put Hankooks on his Evo 9 and thinks they are a big improvement over the originaly fitted tyres.

The best all round tyres I have used, particularly in the wet, were Pirelli P5000s. Unfortunately theuy don't make them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can always check http://www.eiretyres.com/ on different tyres.

First of all, you'll find what sort of price you can get the tyres at. If it's within 20-30 eur of the local tyre garage, I buy them at the tyre garage, if not, I buy them on eiretyres.

The other good thing is, that Eiretyres lists tests of each individual tyre and some of them include points on how they react in different conditions, like wet, snow, dry etc.

Surf a bit around between the tyres for your car, see what sort of money you are willing to spend and check what the tyre properties are. Then try to call the local tyre places and ask, if they have that tyre and what it'll cost.

Besides that, I've been quite happy with Pirelli's and currently i'm on Conti Sport Contacts.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

B11gt00e wrote: »
    I found bridgestone and Conti's to be excellent in the wet, but they both lay down a lot of rubber, thus as you said, they don't last very long at all... maybe that's the price you pay for proper traction.

One of my brother's has P4000 on his car... they've lasted years, but I'm always disgusted with the grip when I take his banger for recycling duties on a wet day... no grip whatsoever... tire spins on a swift take-off and have no road-holding on corners, but then again, I just called his car a banger, so my low opinion on the Pirelli brand might be due his motor, but I have ample driving experience to judge an iffy tyre when I drive one.

... I've said it on this site before and I'll say it again... Vredrestein(sportrac 3) are excellent in the wet... More for handling and acceleration... touch wood, but I haven't had the need to slam-on the brakes(in the wet) since I put them on... on regular braking in the wet, they're class... great groove pattern that disperse water and very reasonably priced at camskill...
    The 2.5yo/25k mile P4000s on mine are *excellent* in the wet. They replaced ~40k miler P4000s that were absolutely *lethal* in the wet because frankly they were ancient & almost bald - like your bro's per chance? ;)

Will probably switch to Vriesdesteins when the time comes tho'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same here, they're very grippy but I hear they don't last too long.

OP, I'd recommend some Vredestein Ultracs.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Same here, they're very grippy but I hear they don't last too long.

OP, I'd recommend some Vredestein Ultracs.
    this are the tyres!! I am thinking to get them

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s16p12402

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

EPM wrote: »
    Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

Very good in the wet but soft as s*** and dont expect to get more than 10000 miles out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'm very happy with my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I find them very good in all conditions, except ice! :p

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=69

Report link
    http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this are the tyres!! I am thinking to get them

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s16p12402

Got a set on my mothers car, they come recommended and they're reasonably priced too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I've had Pirelli P6000, Goodyear NCT5, Continental Sport Contact and Vredestein Sportrac on my car.
    Vredesteins the best so far IMO,
    Good Year NCT5 - awful, awful in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

SV wrote: »
    I have these, never a bother in the rains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If this rain continues we'll all be shopping for paddles not tyres.

Third day in a row my car has slid to a stop either at traffic lights or roundabouts. I guess I'm in the market for new tyres too. These slick sexy bald looking things just don't perform as good as they look. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

SV wrote: »

what he says:)

Third day in a row my car has slid to a stop either at traffic lights or roundabouts.

Ever occur you might be driving too fast or braking too late? after the first day of sliding to a stop you should have adjusted.

I know that sounds like the typical boards moral high ground reply but i didn't mean it to come across that way,we all have to adjust our driving style in the current conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Marlow wrote: »

Conti Sport Contacts.

Same here and I have never had any problems what so ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

tossy wrote: »
    Ever occur you might be driving too fast or braking too late? after the first day of sliding to a stop you should have adjusted.

I know that sounds like the typical boards moral high ground reply but i didn't mean it to come across that way,we all have to adjust our driving style in the current conditions.

It sure does :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It sure does :rolleyes:

Yeah well if that's all you take from my little message it's no wonder this country has some of the worst drivers i've ever seen in my life,you try offer a fellow motorist advise and it's thrown back in your face.

2 words - Situational awareness!

Look at your op again...
    Third day in a row my car has slid to a stop either at traffic lights or roundabouts

It's akin to posting third time in a row i've stuck my hand in the fire and it got burnt!

Is it going to take you hitting the back of another car or worse before you learn that it might be wise to brake a bit earlier/slow down?

Now that is a moral high ground reply so take your roll eyes giff and....

:D

Advertisement