Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 diesel recommendations!!

• 23-11-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just looking for some advice! I’m thinking about buying a 08 diesel (new tax rates) in the New Year. I’m fairly open to suggestions but at the minute I’m thinking either a Ford Mondeo/Citroen C5/Mazda 6/VW Passat. Has anyone got anything good/bad or indifferent to say about any of these?? It’s a car that I’d be intending on keeping for 3/4 years and would think that I’ll be clocking somewhere between 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year. With this in mind reliability and economy are pretty important but I also want a comfortable car to drive.

Mondeo – is there much of a difference between the 1.8TDCI and the 2.0TDCI engines? What are they both like economy wise?? Any reliability issues with this car? Seems to be a good all-rounder from what I’ve read.

C5 – anyone have experience of the new C5? I really like the look of this car but what is it like reliability wise? What’s the 5 speed 1.6 HDI engine like, does it struggle with the size of this car??

Mazda6 – again I like the look of this car but have read some horror stories about the old model Mazda6 diesel’s going badly wrong! Anyone got experience of the new one?

VW Passat – I’ve driven a Passat and it’s a nice comfortable car but I heard that they have been plagued with reliability problems so I’d be nervous about owning one. The last thing I want is a car that constantly has small/medium problems. Also I’m aware that a new model Passat can’t be much more than 12/18 months away!

Any/all comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Mondeo 2.0 has a 6 speed gearbox and is a more modern engine than the 1.8. Of the 2 the 2.0TDCi is the one to go for.

C5 1.6 is not too bad at all, the C5 is heavy but the 1.6 will surprise you, it's a good engine. The C5 seems to be doing well in reliability surveys and owner satisfaction and is a lovely car overall. If you can stretch to the 2.0 Exclusive you have a very nice car indeed.

Mazda6 is nice but Mazda missed a trick by not making it more refined and plush inside, the manual gearbox also takes some getting used to, fine in a MX5, not great in a family saloon. Mazda launched new diesel engines recently, I would avoid the early ones that had the old engine.

Passat gets a lot of bad press for reliability, family member has one and has given no trouble, another friends was loathed and gave endless trouble, both 1.6 petrol. If reliability is a big concern i would avoid.

For me it would be the C5 or Mondeo hatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Here's one for the mix
    Subaru Legacy

My uncle had a 2004 1.6HDi C5 up until last year, never gave any trouble, he has an 09 one now and loves it. He is a rep and does about 20K miles a year. Previously he had 2.0 626 diesels, he reckons the C5 is a far nicer car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

go for a 3 year old bmw 318d or 320d ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Personally i would go with the Mazda 6 or the Ford Mondeo. Both recently launched new models and will still be very fresh in couple of years time if you were ever thinking of Trading.
    Mazda is generally very reliable, however servicing can be expensive.
    Mondeo is a fantastic looking car, i'd go for it, with the Mazda close second.

I would stay well clear of the C5,fantastic looking car with plenty of extra gadgets, but can be troublesome and poor residual values.

Passat is simply a boring car for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Boards favourites: 320D/520D, Mondeo, Accord. Or for the slightly unconventional: a Subaru.

Finally there's always the Octavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

cmpunk wrote: »

To hell with that idea.

On a more constructive note I'd recommend a Legacy or a C5. The Citroen has a well proven engine and it drives well while the Subaru has AWD and it's much more exclusive than a boggo 3 series. Mondeo is nice but looking dated already IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

avoid the passat like the plague,particularly if its running out of warranty in the few months i owned an 07 i've had to get it towed back to garage no less than 5 times !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another vote for the Legacy Boxer diesel here.

08's will be in the mid to late teens.
    Also Skoda Superb Greenline (used ones rare enough though)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

for reliability and looks i'd go for honda accord like this one
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/2.2CTDi-/200947195947208/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

JHMEG wrote: »
    ..Or for the slightly unconventional: a Subaru.

Yeah, that's me;)...

2nd choice for me would be the Mazda. Citroen is good looking but..um...that's it... Performance, economy are poor (too heavy, high CO2) and it tries too hard to be German (probably why many here seem to like it), unlike it's big brother the C6 which is glorious but flawed. Also, the C5 is based on the older 407 which makes it pretty dated for a car so recently launched (under the skin at least)

In fairness it'll probably be comfortable for the high mileage.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Another vote for the Legacy Boxer diesel here.

08's will be in the mid to late teens.

Cripes, buying a brand new car for the first time just before the worst recession/deflationary period in living memory wasn't the smartest move in hindsight. Ah well, eventual cost-to-change should be similar and anyway it's only money :rolleyes:

What about the new Vectra or are they all 09? That would be a strong, strong option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

What about the Bravo Eco 1.6? €104 tax for the year, very economical, has all the gadgets you need, and is really comfy to drive. does 50mpg when you're not even trying to save fuel.
    go north to save €6k too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd pretty much agree with all that's written above.

In that segment last year, the Mondeo was our big seller - mainly in 1.8Tdci 100ps LX guise which is the one to avoid as it's underpowered for a car that size and the specification isn't great. The 1.8Tdci 125ps Zetec is adequate for that size of car - bit slow off the mark until the turbo kicks in, and surprisingly easy to stall for a diesel. Later ECOnetic models have lower emissions, but only a 5 speed gearbox and smaller fuel tank (alloys were also only optional on that model). Emissions on the 2.0Tdci 140ps version were 156g so currently €447 to tax against €302 for the 1.8. Much better engine if you can find a decent priced one. Only issues we've had with the new Mondeo's is the push button start on the Titanium X version. Think we've 4 of those and all have had the control unit replaced.

The Mazda 6 is a great looking car from the outside, but the interior is very bland. Executive model is very spartan and plasticy inside, Executive SE is a bit better but not great. I'd also avoid the 2.0D due to it's reliability.

The 1.6Hdi in the C5 isn't too bad for a car that size. Spec on them is also pretty reasonable and the car looks great, but I just couldn't handle the steering wheel and I don't find the seating position great.

Don't bother with the Passat. It's comfortable to drive, but it's overpriced and unreliable.

If you could stretch to a 09 then the Insignia is the way to go. SC isn't bad (especially with the plus pack), but either SRi or SE with the 160ps engine would be the way to go. I'd take the SE over the SRi because the electronic handbrake gives you a more usuable armrest.

If you can find one, and get over the questionable styling, the new Superb is a hell of a lot of car for the money. Massive inside and a decent amount of kit as standard.

Other option would be to import a new model Accord from the UK where they aren't ridiculously overpriced. Engine, ride & handling is fantastic on the new model and even the basic version has an acceptable level of kit.

Haven't driven the Legacy diesel but it does get good reviews. I sat in one briefly and the interior didn't really do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Father has a C5 1.6 HDI and its a great car, no problems to date. Have to say it surprised me in terms of quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

whycliff wrote: »
    I would stay well clear of the C5,fantastic looking car with plenty of extra gadgets, but can be troublesome and poor residual values..
    Funny, my C5 isn't troublesome in the slightest and I have yet to hear of anyone with significant problems.

OP: C5 is a bit of a barge (but you knew that right?) but is very smooth and quiet on the road. I have a petrol (for sale!) but the 1.6 HDi seemed to have reasonable performance; 2.0 HDi would be preferable naturally.

Mazda6 has a really crappy interior (I had the older model which was as bad). 2.0D engine seems to be dodgy and I doubt you'll find a 2008 2.2D.

Mondeo is a great driving car, if a bit enormous. I believe the 2.0 TDi has a variable trubo, which the 1.8 doesn't.

Passat dunno.

Legacy has been mentioned - fantastic car if you don't mind the cheap interior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Mazda6 has a really crappy interior (I had the older model which was as bad). 2.0D engine seems to be dodgy and I doubt you'll find a 2008 2.2D.
    Legacy has been mentioned - fantastic car if you don't mind the cheap interior.

The 2.2 Mazda 6 has gotten a lot of good reviews so if it the interior is rather bland it shouldnt be discounted if you are recommending the Legacy based on the same criteria.
    As pointed out though the 2.2 Mazda 6 only came out this year. Stay away from the 2.0 version. I'm actually considering going for a 09 2.2 Mazda 6 myself. Very rare 2nd hand here though, will have to go to the U.K. for it.

Don't see why there are a few negatives about the interior of the Legacy

I think it's a nice place to sit and this is after 10yrs being spoilt in Alfas. Its well laid out, not too confusing and has all the essentials with Aux in, 6 CD/MP3 player, MFSW, etc.

Personally I prefer darker/black centre consoles and that was one thing that threw me off the Mondeo. It was too metallic looking. Each to their own though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Matt406 wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice! I’m thinking about buying a 08 diesel (new tax rates) in the New Year.
    A 3 year old BMW won't have a '08 registration ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Why? The reason he's going for a 2008 is because of the new tax regime, a 3 year old would be 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I have a 08 Passat 2.0 140bhp. Love it !

In all the cars I had over the years, it was either comfortable or had power. Never had both. This has both. Such a comfort to drive & a flier. I get 1230mls to a fill - aprox €60 - €70 & never had a problem at all with it.

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    I get 1230mls to a fill - aprox €60 - €70 & never had a problem at all with it.

you mean 1230 km?

Even still thats good going or you drive light footed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

jenzz wrote: »
    I have a 08 Passat 2.0 140bhp & never had a problem at all with it.

That's because it's still in warranty. Just wait until the 2 years are up - that's when they are programmed to start failing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd recommend a SEAT Altea , they've lowered the price now and theres an eco model out with the stop and go tech. I've a 05 2.0TDi and apart from one small running issue, I've never had a problem, 155,000 kilometers on now so just ran in.. ;) its actually aged very well and theres the bonus that you don't look like a company sales rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Cant beat the two good old reliables, Mondeo and Accord. The old man has an accord now, its a 00 with 170k on the clock, we got it almost new. No problems till now and touch wood none in the future either. A few friends have the mondeo, 02-06 range and again they seem a great car by all accounts. Super reliable.

This is only IMHO again, but i'd stay away from the french makes. My dad had the old XM in the mid 90s for a few years and gave nothing but trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Cant beat the two good old reliables, Mondeo and Accord. The old man has an accord now, its a 00 with 170k on the clock, we got it almost new. No problems till now and touch wood none in the future either. A few friends have the mondeo, 02-06 range and again they seem a great car by all accounts. Super reliable.

This is only IMHO again, but i'd stay away from the french makes. My dad had the old XM in the mid 90s for a few years and gave nothing but trouble
    Do you honestly think that is a good reason to "stay away from french makes"?

we should be boycotting the French full stop...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Generally French cars a lot more softer than other manufacturers and if you dont really look after it or your thinking of holding onto it for a while, you will get problems with it.
    It will happen.

Did you consider an 08 Audi A4 the old shape one. There seems to be really good deals out there on those at the moment due to the new model being launched in 08 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Generally French cars a lot more softer than other manufacturers and if you dont really look after it or your thinking of holding onto it for a while, you will get problems with it.
    It will happen.

Did you consider an 08 Audi A4 the old shape one. There seems to be really good deals out there on those at the moment due to the new model being launched in 08 also.
    Why - Cliff?
    Do you have stats or data to back that up? I think the OP was looking for an 08 car (cheap tax.)
    The Audis don't come out of the relibilaty index too well, but I don't have the data to hand, so I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Thanks all for your replies. Just to answer a few of your questions/observations –

Subaru Legacy – looks like a fine car alright but I don’t think that I can stretch to it price wise, on a quick search of www.cbg.ie they are all 09’s with the cheapest at 24,850. I’m not going over the 20,000 mark and hope to do it for less!

3 series BMW are over rated and over priced so not interested.

Honda Accord – again a fine car but I think that it would be hard to find one for under 20,000. Also I’d prefer to buy a new/current model car so that if I am trading in 3/4 years it should still be the current model.

Opel Insignia/Fiat Bravo/Seat Altea – I just don’t like to look of any of these cars, also the Bravo is a bit on the small side.

A few people have commented that the C5 can be troublesome and that French car’s are “soft” but I don’t know what they are basing this on? I currently have a Peugeot 406 with 155,000 miles on the clock (45,000 of which I’ve covered in just under 2 years) and it’s never missed a beat! Based on that I’m not afraid to go French again!

I’m still thinking that a Mondeo and C5 are still top of my shopping list!!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Have been told but no sure if it is true that the main fleet companies are refusing to take the passat on anymore due to reliability issues . Apparantely along with many other issues the electric steering gives trouble and if out of warranty its 2.5k and can only be fitted by the main dealer as it needs to be programmed online with the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thanks all for your replies. Just to answer a few of your questions/observations –

Subaru Legacy – looks like a fine car alright but I don’t think that I can stretch to it price wise, on a quick search of www.cbg.ie they are all 09’s with the cheapest at 24,850. I’m not going over the 20,000 mark and hope to do it for less!

Could be worth chancing your arm if you're paying cash. Cheapest on Carzone is €23995. They're offloading brand new ones now for €27k before haggling. Lack of cars for sale (niche car and all that) will probably hurt your chances though. You could always ask a dealer to give you a shout if he gets an 08 in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭halkar

A few people have commented that the C5 can be troublesome and that French car’s are “soft” but I don’t know what they are basing this on? ...

Most is pub talk.
    I had 2 Citroens past 10 years. Xsara and my current C4. I do high mileage and never had single problem with either car. My C4 still drives like the day I left the forecourt 5 years ago. I am going for C5 next year. After 10 years of worry free, confortable driving I would be too scared to try anything else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

http://www.kiamotors.ie/~/media/Files/Upload/IE/2010%20pdf%20website%20prices.ashx
    Thinking outside the box.
    New Kia Ceed Diesel prices have been reduced.
    They've still got a nice long warranty and are easier on fuel than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not in the same size category as the cars listed by the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

As I said, thinking outside the box.

the 1.6 litre engine won't be as hard pushed as some of the other 1.6 litre cars that have been suggested.
    It's easier on fuel, cheaper and has a 7 year warranty.
    It gives you a compelling reason to downsize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It will happen.

What a load of auld cobblers. You're just basing your opinion on stereotypes as far as I can see and if this accusation is inaccurate you've left yourself wide open to criticism such as this. You're forgetting that PSA are one of the most experienced manufacturers in diesel tech and this factor is becoming ever more relevant in the era of high tech common rail direct injection turbo Ds. More and more I'm reading evidence anecdotally and statistically that diesel engines don't have the reliability and longevity they once had. The exception seems to be PSA who have been leaders in the field for years now. You really don't know what you're talking about to be honest. A Citroen may feel a bit baggy after a few years but they're decent cars and although Peugeot have gone astray recently with the likes of the 307 the diesels engines are among the best of the best. I know of 406s, 407s, C5s, Focii with the 1.6 engine with mileage all in excess of 200,000 miles and all have been deemed by their owners to be excellent cars. Not saying they're perfect but they can be relied on. Renaults...I dunno. I wouldn't touch a Laguna or a Megane with yours but maybe there's hope for the latest generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cadaliac wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that is a good reason to "stay away from french makes"?
    No

But i was explaining MY block towards them

Advertisement