Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW dilemma!

• 23-11-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Okay, I'm freaking out.

Was shooting at a gig on thursday night (Steve Aoki)
    was on the stage the whole time taking photos, shooting in raw,
    but the last half of my photos are the best ones, the ones backstage and stuff,

and for some reason, photoshop cant recognize the file for the OTHER half of the photos, the last half.

even though i was shooting raw the whole night.

i tried opening the files through bridge but even bridge couldnt see them,

please help, theyre suuuch good photos its seems like such a waste and im freaking out!!

ah!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

did you put the card back into the camera and see if the images are there.

its more than likely that you are trying to open RAW files in photoshop and its not recognising the file format:

To open a file using the Raw format:

Choose File > Open or File > Open As (Windows).
    Choose Raw from the file format list, and click Open.
    For Width and Height, enter values for the dimensions of the file.
    To reverse the order of the width and height, click Swap.
    Enter the number of channels.
    Select Interleaved if the file was saved with an interlaced data option.
    Select a color depth and, if necessary, a byte order.
    For Header, enter a value.
    If you are missing the dimensions or header value, you can have Photoshop estimate the parameters. Either enter the correct height and width values to estimate the header size, or enter the correct header size to estimate the height and width, and then click Guess.
    To have Photoshop retain the header when you save the file, select Retain When Saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If it's a case of half the files being unrecognisable, there's a chance the card might have corrupted (For a number of reasons). If it's not working, try getting your hands on some recovery software.

Don't worry, they're probably not all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Koushki

can cards be corrupt even if its the first time using them??

The thing is the photos are still on the card. showing perfectly. just my computer wont read the files. but only the last 50 files. the rest are fine

this is why im confused...

That is odd alright.

Go to Adobe's website and download the trial version of Lightroom (Any version) and see if that can import them.

Are you importing them through the camera or through a card reader?
    can cards be corrupt even if its the first time using them??
    Yep, a lot of cards do, too.

i have a canon 50D, is there anyway to convert the images into a jpeg through the camera before i put them on the computer?

• Advertisement

im importing them through the usb cabel atm while i wait to get paid to get a card reader, however ive never had a problem with the usb cable before tis and ive been shooting in raw with this camera for weeks now.

Not at this stage. Tbh, at this stage, I don't think it's just because they're RAW. I think you're just gonna have to get them off the card in a different way.

so if i got a card reader do you think they'd be okay?

I just dont understand why this never happened before. it always seems the way when the photos mean the most to you they decide to fcuk up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Can you see the images on the camera? I had a similar situation to this once and unfortunately I had no luck but I could not see the images on camera. Have you tried on other software? If not I wouldnt mind if you wanted to email over and I can try on corel, obviously if it accepts your raw files.

Can you see the images on the camera? .

yeah i can! thats why im so confused! have no idea whats going on...I'll give it a go through lightroom and see whats up, need to download it first!

• Advertisement

you know when you have all your images and they would say something like photo.jpg next to it?
    well the photos i cant look at say CR2.

anyone know what that means and how i can open it??

thanks for the replies so far
    really appreciate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Isnt CR2 the Canon raw extension. Best bet is prob a card reader, encountered similar things myself and card reader usual works out.....

May also need to get an update from adobe for photoshop to open the files

Koushki wrote: »
    so if i got a card reader do you think they'd be okay?

At the moment, I'd say yes. That's liable to change if a card reader dosn't work...
    Can you see the images on the camera? I had a similar situation to this once and unfortunately I had no luck but I could not see the images on camera. Have you tried on other software? If not I wouldnt mind if you wanted to email over and I can try on corel, obviously if it accepts your raw files.

I don't think it's a matter of even being able to send them without sending the actual CF card tbh - When transferring with Canon through the camera, it's quite limited - I've no experience with what happens on other brands. It's going have to be taken off the card in the first place.
    you know when you have all your images and they would say something like photo.jpg next to it?
    well the photos i cant look at say CR2.
    The CR2 ext. stands for Canon Raw 2, as in their second type of RAW file, so that's all as normal. Nothing to worry about there.

I think card readers can be picked up for as little as 10 quid for one of the cheaper ones, if you were to get one in the morning (Or possibly your college would have a few hanging around?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw. Here it is. It might/should solve the issue of bridge not recognising them.

oshead wrote: »
    Download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw. Here it is. It might/should solve the issue of bridge not recognising them.

The only thing is, I don't understand how it'd understand half of them, and not understand the other half. Not at all putting down your suggestion, and I'd 100% agree to download it and try, but it's a big odd.

Tellin' ye. This wouldn't happen with a roll of TriX :pac:

Windows is a funny thing, me thinks (I presume Windows). She could also power on and off the comp. :confused:

Windows is a funny thing, me thinks (I presume Windows). She could also power on and off the comp. :confused:

Don't forget turning the wifi off.

</3 Windows...

i have a mac!

In that case, see what happens if you try importing with iPhoto (Assuming you've the newest update)

Something I did before.... It's a long shot.
    I once changed settings on the camera in the middle of shooting, ie from jpeg + RAW to RAW. Had me for a while, that is till I discovered I was able to only read the jpegs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Hi just to let you know Tesco sell card readers for €4.80 or close enough, cheap and cheerful, haven’t had a problem with my one and using it for months on end now.;)

Have you tried opening the raw images with the supplied canon software.?

Also before you used the new card did you format it?

Something I did before.... It's a long shot.
    I once changed settings on the camera in the middle of shooting, ie from jpeg + RAW to RAW. Had me for a while, that is till I discovered I was able to only read the jpegs.

oh crap. i did that to like one photo by accident cause my friend was handling the camera and asked me to change it back (they had changed it to jpeg and took a photo so i changed it back to raw)

so...

what happened to you? did you get your files back in the end??

ALSO iphoto wont allow me to open the raw files either, already tried!

PabD wrote: »
    Hi just to let you know Tesco sell card readers for €4.80 or close enough, cheap and cheerful, haven’t had a problem with my one and using it for months on end now.;)

Have you tried opening the raw images with the supplied canon software.?

Also before you used the new card did you format it?

thanks for telling me about the tesco stuff!! deffo going there!

i have tried opening the files with ''digital photography professional'' and EOS utility, photohop, bridge, lightroom and iphoto.

and no i didnt format it... should have i when i first got it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I wouldn't take any more photos using this card until you've got your photos off, could make things worse.

Before you worry about raw (cr2) etc, the first thing to do is copy the files to your mac's hard drive:
    Connect the camera to the mac with usb and switch on the camera.
    Open Finder (the OSX file manager) and see if the 50D card appears as a new drive, if so click in and see if you can find your photos to copy and paste from the card to your macs drive.
    If Finder soesn't work, try using "Canon Utility", a program which comes on CD with the 50D.
    hth

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

i always formatt my cards when i buy them, take a look at this

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/2500/FIRST-STEPS/cf-format.html

Im sure the images are on the card somewhere, just my opinion but if it happened to me i would connect my camera directly to the printer using the usb lead and try to print a shot off just to see if the images are ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i did the poster for that gig, lawlllllllll

id get a card reader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

download picaso and see if it picks them up.. I know it reads CR2 files on my 40D as i've set it to raw+jpeg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

You can still mail off the file even if you cant read it. I once received a cr2 file from someone in email who needed a bit of help repairing, my photoshop could not read it at the time but I simply downloaded an update and it was handy enough. However I cant understand it reading some and not others. I have only ever once encountered a file type the paint shop pro couldnt read and that was the d40x as far as i remember so if you can download a trial give it a go, if not as i said email me and I'll try for you.

There ar eplenty of people who need to recover pictures from memory cards and I'm sure if you contacted one of the professional camera stores they may have recovery software on site to get them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Use a linux live CD, e.g. Ubuntu, and install UFRAW. This has openned everything I've thrown at it even if Windows/Mac refuses to recognise the file's existence.

Maybe give UFRAW/GIMP a go in Windows/Mac but Linux's different file handling could make the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I use a Canon 400d and have no problem opening the Raw files on PS3 (windows) but at the weekend I was using my friend's 500d and took some of the pics off his camera. It was all shot in Raw, same file type - CR2 and they won't open on PS3 for me.

He told me I had to get a Photoshop update that will have newer codecs or whatever that will open them. I haven't got around to it yet to know if that works, maybe you have a similar problem.

I use a Canon 400d and have no problem opening the Raw files on PS3 (windows) but at the weekend I was using my friend's 500d and took some of the pics off his camera. It was all shot in Raw, same file type - CR2 and they won't open on PS3 for me.

He told me I had to get a Photoshop update that will have newer codecs or whatever that will open them. I haven't got around to it yet to know if that works, maybe you have a similar problem.

That's because the actual codec from one camera to another is different.

OP, can you actually get them off the camera and on to your own hard drive then? Or are they stuck on the camera?

If they're stuck on the camera, it's time to start with some recovery software.

Thanks for all the replies and help, seriously!

i downloaded picasa and it could read the files!!!
    im delighted, thanks everyone so much.

ill still get a card reader and format my cards everytime i get new ones now, thank you all so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Thanks for all the replies and help, seriously!

i downloaded picasa and it could read the files!!!
    im delighted, thanks everyone so much.

ill still get a card reader and format my cards everytime i get new ones now, thank you all so much.
    Happy days!
    Just to be sure, format the card in the 50D using it's menu, not on the mac. That way you're more sure the camera can write to the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Solarina

Lol! A, cause you told me about this yesterday I was reading this thread sadly thinking how lovely all the advice was but what a shame you still couldnt get the photos in the end (yeah I forget to look at times&dates) so ****in YEEEAAH! You got em!

I was going to say, once I "lost" photos from a card, and I use a card reader and couldnt see them but could on the camera, turned out they were in a "hidden" folder....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That's because the actual codec from one camera to another is different.

I don't get to use the internet at home too much so haven't got to download any new updates for PS3 but would I just need to update it with whatever updates I've not got yet or do I need something more specific to update the codec?

• Advertisement

Just the general PS updates should cover it. Although I think each version of PS will only update to a certain point.

Advertisement