Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS Personal Statement

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm sorry about posting this, but I'm really confused, and it is something that is important.

Basically, my career guidance teacher is useless. He won't tell us anything about the UCAS Personal Statement because he says there is a list on the UCAS website about do's and don'ts. However, my cousin who lives in a different county, has a competent careers teacher who has given them handouts and notes on how to write a good UCAS statement.

I am really in a state of panic. I don't think the guide on the website is enough, as I'm still not sure how to lay it out.

If anybody could help me out, that would be really appreciated.

I have a few questions
    1. I know it's a silly question, but how do you start it?
    2. I have only ever worked at one part-time job, which was one hour a week doing the bottles at a pub. It has nothing to do with my career choice (actuary) - do I include it?
    3. Should I mention my Junior Cert. results, even though I already entered them separately under 'Education'.
    4. Are there any sample Personal Statements around? Not so I can copy it, but so I can see how to structure it
    Also, my friend said it is better that you only enter one 'choice' for the UCAS choices - as you have more of a chance of getting it this way. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk is a UK students websites, lots of info on the UCAS system. They have a library of personal statements, but make sure you don't copy anything at all. They run everything through an automated plagiarism checker.

Basically, your personal statement is why you want to the course, and why the university should pick you.

I'm pretty sure that more choices is better. Afaik, one university doesn't see where else you've applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/

i sent mine of a few weeks ago.. found this helpful!

just be honest but write it in a way that makes u stand out from the crowd i think is the key!
    best of luck!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Thanks for all the advice! Those are some great links! I'm glad to know that I am not alone in my confusion over the PS.

Another question. My careers teacher said he will be looking over each UCAS application before he sends them off (but judging from past expierence, he will just glance at them and say that they are fine). Do I need to pay the fee with a credit card before or after he signs it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

do it before hand. You have to fill up your UCAS form and have it paid for and then send it to your career guidance teacher who will then add in the referencees and send it to UCAS.. you cant send it to the teacher if you havent it paid for before hand.:)

OK, I have a meeting booked with my career guidance teacher tomorrow to review my UCAS application. I paid for it tonight. However, now that I have paid for it, it won't let me edit anything!

If my career guidance teacher points out that my personal statement is lacking something (e.g. career aspirations, hobbies etc.) I won't be able to alter it, right? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Your guidance teacher might be able to edit it on their end. Maybe.
    It's designed so that you're supposed to finish everything on your end before sending it off.

OK, I have gotten into a major panic now!

The other day I asked my guidance teacher what fee code do I choose? He said pick number 1 (Private Finance). I pointed out that number two (something like SAAS/EU/NIBD) seemed much more appropriate, but he just to trust him.

However, I still think he is wrong. Surely I should pick the one that says 'EU' as I live in the EU. Also, three of my choices are in Scotland and therefore SAAS is very important!

And the worst thing is that I have already paid for my UCAS application and therefore I am unable to edit it!! I have a meeting with my career guidance teacher tomorrow - hopefully he is able to edit it!

What fee code should be picked?

OK I sorted it out today. My career guidance teacher rang up somebody and found out that the Fee Code should be 02. He was able to send the application back to me, and I made the change there and then, and sent it back.

He wrote the reference, put in the predicted grades (it appears the teachers have more confidence in me than I do in myself!!) and sent it off.

Thanks to all those that helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

What universities are you’re applying to??

Woop_01 wrote: »
    What universities are you’re applying to??

Queens, Belfast
    Imperial, London
    Uni of Glasgow, Glasgow
    Heriot-Watt, Edinburgh
    Uni of Edinburgh, Edinburgh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hey, I know the OP has already sent off their personal statement, but I have a piece of advice for everyone.

Your personal statement should really be geared towards the course / courses you are applying for. You should give reasoning why you are interested in this course (e.g. I was applying for Speech and Language Therapy, said I wanted to work with other professionals and work with client on a daily basis), explain why you think you have the necessary skills for admission (waffle!- highly motivated, hard worker, not afraid of a challenge, I believe this is reflected in my reference etc) and then also if you any sort of experience in the area you are applying for include it (e.g. Even if you have just met up with someone who has the type of job you will aim to have after the course, attended a lecture on the course etc)

Make sure it sounds like you know that it's the course for you and say you feel confident that you would be a good addition to any university. Basically brag, but don't sound full of yourself! Hope this helps some of you... This is the strategy that worked for me - I got four offers and I'm now in uni in the north!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

jc2008 wrote: »
    Also, my friend said it is better that you only enter one 'choice' for the UCAS choices - as you have more of a chance of getting it this way. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Also just to clarify even though the universities can't see what other courses you have applied for, you generally have an advantage if you have applied for the same type of course everywhere because you can really gear your personal statement towards that course
    e.g. I feel that (course name) is the course I want to pursue as the skills required as (e.g. teamwork, communication, outside reading etc) I feel that I already have a foundation in these skills as evidenced by ( e.g. you play a sport, high grades in school, good reference, job outside school etc). I believe that this will place me in a strong starting point for entry in (course name)

Advertisement