Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TOI4PHKc

It is one of the best programs RTÉ have made and the jokes are just absolutely fabulous. :)

of course the jokes are fabulous joan rivers is very funny

ever if it was the best comedy show rte ever made it would still be crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

Love the bit when the guy gets locked in the confession box and the priest runs away with his daughter.

Classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

The glamour, oh the glamour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Love the bit when the guy gets locked in the confession box and the priest runs away with his daughter.
    Classic!
    The previous week's one was funnier - some guy in an art gallery with a little girl standing beside him and a painting of a priest behind him. When the guy looks back the little girl is in the painting sitting on the priest's lap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I watched the sex in Ireland episode and have to say it had it's moments and by that I mean hilarious moments. It was unpolished and I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I think with some proper producing it could be a world class show only for the fact he's focused on Irish specific comedy.

Like it's already been said, the bit with the priest running off with the child was seriously laugh out loud funny.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I watched the sex in Ireland episode and have to say it had it's moments and by that I mean hilarious moments. It was unpolished and I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I think with some proper producing it could be a world class show only for the fact he's focused on Irish specific comedy.

Like it's already been said, the bit with the priest running off with the child was seriously laugh out loud funny.

Well if its good enough people should get it even if its about Ireland. I think its far from world class but with a lot of production you might have a show you can sell. Maybe it would do even better because people outside Ireland do not know who McSavage is, from speaking to friends that don't like the show it is mainly due to the fact that they hate him.

In its current form its not good enough to sell abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

It seems to be popular to hate McSavage.

Based on this show he is a top-class comedian. Never failing to entertain. When will this show be out on DVD. Hopefully by next Christmas. It shall do wonders in the charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

It's on again now.... deadly buzz......;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

more RTE employees on boards.ie trying to plug their mates shows? surely not. i love when this happens. it validates us calling the show pathetic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jazzy wrote: »
    more RTE employees on boards.ie trying to plug their mates shows? surely not. i love when this happens. it validates us calling the show pathetic :)
    I'm an RTÉ employee? You're very far off the mark there, I can tell you. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

el diablo wrote: »
    He knows to much, I'll do the deed, you bring the shovels and lime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

el diablo wrote: »

Jonny Unfunny or whatever his name is did it for nightlive. looks like the same is happening here too

The Savage Eye is Savage.

Jazzy wrote: »

I work in Canadian TV a friend of a friend told me to take a look at the show will I was home for Xmass. He said it was the best RTE comedy in years. I don't know if the guy (the friend of a friend) works for RTE or in the making of the Savage Eye. But some of the stuff that I was told about the show has been said word for word here on boards. So yes lots of plugging going on here.

By the way no hope of us buying it. Jokes are old, its two hit and miss. Very average show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It seems to be popular to hate McSavage.

on boards.ie it is anyway (esp after hours)

well i think he's entertaining, so what if he takes the mickey out of people when he's out busking its only a bit of banter:rolleyes:

He's is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TOI4PHKc wrote: »
    I work in Canadian TV a friend of a friend told me to take a look at the show will I was home for Xmass. He said it was the best RTE comedy in years. I don't know if the guy (the friend of a friend) works for RTE or in the making of the Savage Eye. But some of the stuff that I was told about the show has been said word for word here on boards. So yes lots of plugging going on here.

By the way no hope of us buying it. Jokes are old, its two hit and miss. Very average show

I miss all those great Canadian comedies. You working for CanWest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RABTMOUSE

RTE didn't produce The Savage Eye, they commissioned it. It was produced by an independant production company, like alot of comedy on RTE (see credits).

RABTMOUSE wrote: »
    RTE didn't produce The Savage Eye, they commissioned it. It was produced by an independant production company, like alot of comedy on RTE (see credits).

That doesn't give RTÉ either credit or a get out of jail card on the comedy front.

Elmo wrote: »
    I miss all those great Canadian comedies. You working for CanWest?

I'am afraid I don't make them. My job is to buy them in from Briton, the US, OZ etc any where that speaks English.

I work for Showcase so in a way I kinda work for CanWest.

I would get kill that work if I showed up with the savage eye. The too Irish bit is fine as I said funny if funny people would get it but the jokes are taken from so many other place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

The haters are claiming new members who like the show are joining just to plug it.

What does that make haters who are new members? Old members "in disguise"?

Who can we trust?

And TOI4PHKc apparently works for Canadian TV. And can barely construct coherent sentences. And is unable to explain the why aspect of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

ScumLord wrote: »

Why shouldn't it be Irish specific comedy? It is the point of it after all. They are taking the mick out of Ireland.

As for "world class", what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

I really f**kin hate RTE.
    Fair City, Tubridy, 99% of their home-produced programming, the really cheap looking sets and terrible camerawork, repeats of "Murder she wrote".
    It really pisses me off to have my licence fee every year for this s**te.

HOWEVER, I love "The savage eye". Finally something to look forward to on RTE, wow..

InisMor wrote: »
    The haters are claiming new members who like the show are joining just to plug it.

What does that make haters who are new members? Old members "in disguise"?

Who can we trust?

And TOI4PHKc apparently works for Canadian TV. And can barely construct coherent sentences. And is unable to explain the why aspect of the job.

Sorry about the lack of copherent sentences more of a talker then a writer. You are not the first person to say it to me, my boss is always giving me **** for it :). I do work for Canadian TV you can believe what you like I dont care. I buy in comdey shows for a Cable television company. I have a very small office and get pay a lot less then people in RTE (I think, I have no idea what their paid, but I get paid very little)

I never said I hated the show. I think in some ways its a good show, RTE should be very happy with it. All I'am saying is that the jokes are old.

You can trust who you like, I dont think it matter. If people like the show they will watch it. I dont think it matter what people on this website say anyway. I do think most of the people giving out about it do so caz they hate McSavage, I would think a lot of people who work on the show (RTE or McSavage team) are on here plugging it as anyone would. However if you watch the show and like it or hate it why should something like baords change your mind. I just came to the website to see why all my friends who still live in Ireland refuse to watch the show. I wanted to learn more about it, that is why I 'am a new member. I would like to think that McSavage and RTE would not waste their time reading what we think. The show is a good start, but it needs work and new jokes, I hope there spending their time on that,

@ TOI4PHKc

You are right to suggest that many people are bias toward RTÉ espically when it comes to comedy. I also think you are right to think that McSavage is not liked by many people. I also agree that the comedy is alright but it needs a bit of work, however how often has that been said on boards about RTÉ Comedies, they always seem to pilot programmes.

If you work for a CanWest owned cable TV station I won't be impressed. How big is the company you work for? Also perhaps you should write to RTÉ sales about the show rather than wasting time on a message board. You would get feedback since you are in charge of imports. I hope some day to watch some Canadian programming that you plan to export.

As for the people making the decisions in RTÉ, they possibly don't look at what people on boards have to say, however I think they would be mental not to note down the absolute shambles of an entertainment department that they currently have. And this has been highlighted in the press.

Last Sunday's Sunday Business Post critic slaughtered this show and I agree with him some of what he has said.

I for one think the show is a bit strange and funny in parts, I really don't know what to make of it. However I am guessing that it is not produced for International consumption as it is a satire and they rarely do well over seas, there are a few exceptions to that rule

Can't wait for the dirty barman tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's about time someone made a Jade Goody joke on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don't get why people find this funny..

.. maybe I'm just not "getting it"! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

basquille wrote: »
    I don't get why people find this funny..

.. maybe I'm just not "getting it"! :confused:

You didn't laugh at the young fella shouting "shove it up yar hole"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

some funny bits on it tonight,better than previous efforts anyway.

Advertisement