Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

This is woeful. At least the first two episodes had stolen jokes to roll your eyes at. There wasn't any laughs in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

basquille wrote: »
    I don't get why people find this funny..

.. maybe I'm just not "getting it"! :confused:

I think you're looking for wit/subtle humour and observations or even properly off-the-wall stuff like Vic and Bob. This is none of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

I still don't think it's a "classic" in a broad context of TV comedy, but tonight's property episode was better again, with some quite funny bits indeed.

A stark contrast to most RTE-associated comedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its broad and its funny. Like a panto review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

boards.ie is full of nerds. its like its cool in your basements to swipe at anything mainstream i feel sad for u losers. well done mcsavage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

I think the man is a genius. A lot of his stuff is so funny and lots of my friends think he is great as well. He is one of Irelands top comedians.
    I was so really bored with Irelands current comedians.

Perhaps some of you made bad property investments in the middle of nowhere and some of all this is close to the bone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

boards.ie is full of nerds. its like its cool in your basements to swipe at anything mainstream i feel sad for u losers. well done mcsavage
    You're right... goddamn my inability to not share the same views as others. My parents are so ashamed of me.

Please teach me the way oh wise one!

I'm so nerdy I don't get the irony in your statement!

Oh not this ****e again. He's not edgy, he's not close to the bone. "ooh did he make fun of you once?" No he didn't, I get into slagging matches all the time with my mates, it's some of the best craic goin, he's just no good at it.
    In this particular show he's just throwing out tired clichés and hoping some will stick. Paedo priest jokes. Jaysus I bet me da didn't hear that one 30 ****in years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I just watched The Savage Eye for the first time and I actually laughed out loud. His Mary Robinson impression is a hoot, the shooting pheasant/peasant gag was great and yer man shouting obscenities at his missus was fun. One of two sketches were a tad long but overall, I really liked it.

amacachi wrote: »
    Oh not this ****e again. He's not edgy, he's not close to the bone. "ooh did he make fun of you once?" No he didn't, I get into slagging matches all the time with my mates, it's some of the best craic goin, he's just no good at it.
    In this particular show he's just throwing out tired clichés and hoping some will stick. Paedo priest jokes. Jaysus I bet me da didn't hear that one 30 ****in years ago.

dundalk and sligo no wonder u hate him, he parodies everything you represent and cherish the church backwardness conservatism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

dundalk and sligo no wonder u hate him, he parodies everything you represent and cherish the church backwardness conservatism

Ah now...:D

Bit hit n miss tonight.
    Liked the Castaway idea - good comment on the commuter belt reality.
    Still better than most of the muck on telly:o

How's that talking out of your arse going?

talking+out+of+his+arse-+image.jpg

A ****ing Derryman talking about church backwardness!? Now that's one of the richest ****ing things I've ever come across I have to admit. Bloody brilliant. And to be perfectly honest if figures were available I'd be fairly sure you'd find that church-going figures would be somewhat higher in Derry than in Dundalk.
    Conservatism in Dundalk. Massive LOL. Well done. I think we're known for our massive love for Thatcher and of course look how many Fine Gael TDs come from here.
    ****ing hell.

For the love of god, McSavage has ZERO edge. The only time I laughed was when the continutity annoucer called him an "incindery commedian".

As a busker and a stand up McSavage's only mode is that of the pathetic bully. He only goes after easy targets. (Episode one, failed artists, wow their union/ entertainment lawyers are gonna be pissed.)

Notice how in the "goverment section" he didn't mention Fianna Fail's (back)hand in the property bubble. This is not satire. It's old stolen jokes with a lot of cursing and vulgarity to fool the simple into thinking its edgy.

The idiots who run RTE genuinely believe the audience is even thicker than they are. ("That's very high brow. Will the boggers get it?") Hence dumber and dumber shows, All Ireland Talent Contest, Val Falvey and this muck. Please stop proving them right.

A ****ing Derryman talking about church backwardness!? Now that's one of the richest ****ing things I've ever come across I have to admit. Bloody brilliant. And to be perfectly honest if figures were available I'd be fairly sure you'd find that church-going figures would be somewhat higher in Derry than in Dundalk.
    Conservatism in Dundalk. Massive LOL. Well done. I think we're known for our massive love for Thatcher and of course look how many Fine Gael TDs come from here.
    ****ing hell.

my parents are from derry i was born and lived in paris till i was 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

basquille wrote: »
    How's that talking out of your arse going?

talking+out+of+his+arse-+image.jpg
    ****ing hell.

touchy.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    touchy.
    Not at all... it was a ridiculous statement to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

People were being interviewed in Sligo. He must have a thing for the town.

:)

It was absolutely fantastic tonight. McSorely played a good part. Shouting at his wife. The language was beautiful and very creative.

When's this out on DVD!

The Dirty Barman -Mick "The Bull" Daly is hillarious too.

"Ridin a house...WAAAA, imagine rhidin a house. It'd be like bnging your head of a brick wall."

• Advertisement

Easier to get a mortgage than get a taxi, how true.

Sill waiting on tonights prog to appear to send to mates abroad

http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=search&q=savage%20eye

worded wrote: »
    Sill waiting on tonights prog to appear to send to mates abroad

http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=search&q=savage%20eye

How are you going to send it to them. The player can only be viewed in Ireland. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...brilliant show....in stitches the whole way through...cant believe rte lets him away with it!!

How do rte let him get away with it? Because it's no threat to anyone. Because underneath the noise it's saying nothing. An empty vessel.

A Wise Man wrote: »
    This is not satire. It's old stolen jokes with a lot of cursing and vulgarity to fool the simple into thinking its edgy.

(Is it taboo to quote yourself? No matter, I am, as in all things, an innovator.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

How are you going to send it to them. The player can only be viewed in Ireland. :)

You can download it, then send it

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RABTMOUSE

You strike me as a bit of a loser, along with some of the other people writing here- before you get offended, let me explain: You claim to dislike McSavage, to dislike his work "he's just no good at it" etc- YET you have gone to the effort to tune into his show (probably ever week since it's started), and not only that but you've logged onto a forum to talk about it! You(s) have a lot of spare time to spend on being a negative begrudger(s), and in my book that makes you a bit of a loser(s).

As for yourself and others referring to the jokes in sketches as being 'old' and/dated- If you haven't noticed this is a satire documentry about IRELAND. We haven't changed much in the past couple of decades except perhaps for the illusions we cultivated for ourselves since the celtic tiger came about. And as cosmopoliton as todays Irish society might think we are, we are really only two yards from being cow ****e. Let's get our heads out of our arses and embrace it.

I thought tonights episode was very appropriate given the 'current climate' and mirrored the vein and greedy illusions that have as of recently, come crumbling around our feet. I wouldn't call that dated, I'd call it on the money.

I'm very impressed with the shows so far, I wonder what next week will bring...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

RABTMOUSE wrote: »
    If you didn't find any of that funny, you either hate mcsavage personally OR you're the most boring person in the history of the world in dire need of a personality transplant.

I'm sure i've heard this line come out of the mouth of McSavage himself in the past. Where do I go to claim my prize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I for one, love McSavages' brand of comedy and his new show. Its edgy, zany, hilarious. I think he is up there with Tiernan as one of the best comedians in the country. The guy is genuinely nuts. I'd love to see him appear on the panel some night I bet he would tear strips out of Maxwell, McWilliams & co.
    The only unusual thing which I dont like about him is that he happens to be Ryan Tubridy's cousin & comes from a family of govt politicians. But I guess that aint his fault.. no wonder he's nuts..

Advertisement