Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I love this show, caught it on the RTE iplayer thingy.
    Website, it's called a website. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ScumLord wrote: »
    Website, it's called a website. :pac:

:eek: w....e.....b.......s........i........t.......e...... tell me more about your strange ways and fancy shmancy media outlets. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

to sum up this show up....is awesome!
    The only ones who seem to not like it are probably victims of his temple bar stand up..and the catholic church.

The music in it is really good..especially the british rule one and cathlolic church.

Mick 'The Bull' Daly is already a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Just watched the property one
    Quality!!!

really enjoyed it

the
    renting sub'd for gay
    was VERY VERY obvious and dragged out, but it was supposed to be id say!?
    SASR wrote: »
    Though for me, John Colleary is the best thing about it, anything he says comes across as funny.

He is a bit good alright

Colleary dressed as Britain hitting Ireland with the stick to stop it getting on the ladder was very funny

"AND When we run out of pheasant we shoot peasant"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Didn't laugh as much at the 3rd episode, but getting being stranded in the housing estate was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Didn't laugh as much at the 3rd episode, but getting being stranded in the housing estate was good.

+1

I know of a genuine case of a woman who is the only person that bought a house in an estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

The sex in Ireland episode is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. The part where yer man gives the Garda a handjob through the window to avoid getting a speeding ticket sent me into absolute hysterics..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RABTMOUSE

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'm sure i've heard this line come out of the mouth of McSavage himself in the past. Where do I go to claim my prize?

Your right on the money- I follow him with a dictaphone day and night and then anytime I need an opinion on anything I quote him line for line. You're a genius:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is that really how dogs bark in Belfast? ROWR ROWR ROWR, ROWR ROWR? :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The Joe Duffy bit had me in tears. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Some begrudgery now?

Brilliant episode, not only the best satire on Irish TV, but up there with the best from the UK too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,171 ✭✭✭✭briany

Oh my god yes, funny stuff! I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the inward looking Irish humour but that was a funny episode. It seems that the programme is beginning to hit it's stride. This programme may yet join the ranks of the handful of WATCHABLE homegrown comedy programmes that RTE has produced. I'd love to see them turn their view outside of Ireland in the future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

i wouldn't because it would be from a bland anglo perspective. its good to get an irish perspective in a funny tone. im sick of all that bland brit crap. dave mcsavage you are a legend. 9/10. thankyou. top quality. lol do a french one if you do go outside ireland lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Its terrible joe- its wa? How BAD does it make ya feel caller? TERRRRRIBLLLE-LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

briany wrote: »
    Oh my god yes, funny stuff! I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the inward looking Irish humour but that was a funny episode. It seems that the programme is beginning to hit it's stride. This programme may yet join the ranks of the handful of WATCHABLE homegrown comedy programmes that RTE has produced. I'd love to see them turn their view outside of Ireland in the future though.

Agreed. It's sharp, in places, very funny, but it's just a bit dated. The latest recession never looks nor feels like the last one. Savage Eye is made to look too much like the 80's. However, it's still about the only thing I look forward to on RTE each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

delaad wrote: »
    . However, it's still about the only thing I look forward to on RTE each week.

Sadly, moi aussi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hge19

Finding it hard to decide whether McSavage is actually sane or not? The whole Joe Duffy thing was ****ed up altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

hge19 wrote: »
    Finding it hard to decide whether McSavage is actually sane or not? The whole Joe Duffy thing was ****ed up altogether.

Badly needed to be done. However Gerry Ryan's the Master tear harvester - repulsive.

hge19 wrote: »

Mmmhmmm, but if you think that was crazy, you should check out an episode of Jam sometime. More Twin Peaks/Horror than comedy even though it bills itself as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Libero

8 out of 10.

For a sketch-based show, some of it was very strong and memorable.

Putting on an impression of Joe Duffy (and his callers) sounds tired and hackneyed. But I can't remember when I last laughed as much, at least in front of an Irish TV comedy, as when the dwarf came out and started blowing the horn and gyrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

How come it's taking so long to go up on the RTE player? First two episodes are, but last weeks still isn't.

*insert conspiracy theory about RTE not wanting the ratio of viewers for this to Val Falvey to be known, somehow involving Ryan Tubridy here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

MikeC101 wrote: »
    How come it's taking so long to go up on the RTE player? First two episodes are, but last weeks still isn't.

I think the IT fellows have to convert it from a .TV file to a .whatever file for the player. They may have it ready, but just upload it when they get in the morning at 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

worded wrote: »
    I think the IT fellows have to convert it from a .TV file to a .whatever file for the player. They may have it ready, but just upload it when they get in the morning at 9am

Yeah but that's yesterdays episode, fair enough.

The one from last week still isn't up though. (Or have I managed to black out for a week again? There should be three up there, and four when last nights one goes up right?)

I wasn't a fan of McSavage before this but I have to say I'm really enjoying the savage eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Watched it last night. Found it a bit weak and short on punchlines to be honest.

Ooohh cutting edge and controversial!

All fine and good. However I'd like a few decent jokes with that please.

Although having said that it's better than the last Irish sketch show, Stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

MikeC101 wrote: »

*insert conspiracy theory about RTE not wanting the ratio of viewers for this to Val Falvey to be known, somehow involving Ryan Tubridy here*

I watched it Monday night on the player, is it the property episode ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mark Surname

I didnt see the latest. but i am not a huge fan of dave mcsavage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 ferneo

came across this thread and I had to stick up for the savage eye, its got to be the funniest thing I've seen on Irish tv in a very very very long time, I take my hat off to him, long may it last..will it come out on dvd I wonder?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hate McSavage but i watched this last night and am ashamed to say i laughed at a lot of it, pity hes such an enormous dickhead

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    I hate McSavage but i watched this last night and am ashamed to say i laughed at a lot of it, pity hes such an enormous dickhead

Yes well I have heard of the hate for McSavage, but I myself could never profess to hate someone I do not know on a personal level. Now on the subject of his Temple Bar stand-up, I have to say I think that it can be pretty mean spirited and if you were a sensitive person and were the victim, in the street mind you not in a comedy club, of a pretty cutting remark accompanied by a crowd laughing at you that could certainly hurt you and probably wouldn't make you to fond of the man. Still he stands apart from all the other Irish comedians on television because he isn't trying to be one of the lads in an effort to appeal to the man on the street, he's looking down his nose at the country and sneering, which I like.

Advertisement