Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ivan wrote: »
    Angels and Rainbows. I must have that song. Fúcking brilliant. Stark, insightful and satirical at the same time is something I can get behind.

A must watch show for me, these episodes have confirmed that for me.

If you want something done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I think The Savage Eye is great. One of the rare RTE comedys that I really enjoy.

I love Mick The Bull. When he was talking about the 2 'quaars'. One who had a hook for a hand and the other who sprouted fairy wings I was in stiches. Then when it cut to the guy with 'A GAY' on the screen and he had a hook for a hand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...love the savage eye but what happened to the ..."why are the nordies so nordie episode"....the trailers for it looked hilarious but the night it was advertised it didnt show and was replaced with the "so unhappy episode"..its not up on player either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ...love the savage eye but what happened to the ..."why are the nordies so nordie episode"....the trailers for it looked hilarious but the night it was advertised it didnt show and was replaced with the "so unhappy episode"..its not up on player either
    The Nordies was just a small part of that week's episode. Have a look about half way through I think.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Who could have thought putting Aphex Twin and communion together could be so funny? Haven't laughed as much in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Seriously a poor attempt at a sketch show. Jokes that go nowhere a format stolen from Little Britan and Langerland TV.

Jokes that have been done over and over a million times by previous shows especiall Joe duffy. The bar man character is an extension of hte bar man in killnaskully.The politicians again been done to death

I would love to know who he is blowing at RTE to allow this tripe to stay on tov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Ah come on, this is the best RTE comedy I've ever seen. Myself and my friends have loved the Savage Eye and really hope this isn't the end.

Tired of the moaners, lets remember some of the brilliant quotes!!

Book of Kells? Book of queers!

Shoved a carrot up me ghoul and gave it a good f*ckin shake.

An bhfuil cad agam dul go dtí an clitoris?

The glamour in this studio

We don't want people from Blackrock callin up with der happy stories makin' de pooooor people feel de physical paaaain

Best Irish comedy in ages. I'll miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Mary McAleese is hilarious!

"I will rip out your jawbone and use it as a paperweight!"

Best RTE Comedy in a long, long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

i could take or leave most of the show but i think the mick the bull charachter is fcukin gas.
    i've started watching a few youtube clips of DMS since seeing the savage eye and i came across his late late show appearance in 2005.he did the quares with the hooks for hands and wings joke and i didn't find it funny at all,but when mick the bull tells it it's hillarious in my opinion.
    now he has the foot in the RTE door he should stick to the charachter based comedy cos judging by the youtube clips his standup is not great...
    funny bloke though,no doubt about that...

• Advertisement

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Mary McAleese is hilarious!

"I will rip out your jawbone and use it as a paperweight!"

Best RTE Comedy in a long, long time

that's supposed to be Mary Robinson, not McAleese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

glasso wrote: »
    `You sure? The head of her reminds me more of McAleese. Still hilarious though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

worded wrote: »
    MikeC101 wrote: »
    How come it's taking so long to go up on the RTE player? First two episodes are, but last weeks still isn't.

I think the IT fellows have to convert it from a .TV file to a .whatever file for the player. They may have it ready, but just upload it when they get in the morning at 9am

As opposed to writing a script to upload it immediately after broadcast like the BBC iPlayer. Ahhh RTE :rolleyes:

I haven't watched this since the 2nd episode but it sounds like it's actually gotten worse. Joe Duffy masturbating? THAT'S the gag?
    It's really sad that so many people in this country consider such base, unimaginative sketches to be funny.

And i'm not sure what's worse - that McSavage's influential family got him this show, or the no doubt enormous cost of production. 12 writers, seriously? TWELVE writers?

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    `You sure? The head of her reminds me more of McAleese. Still hilarious though!
    It's the two Marys rolled into one. :) Maybe that's why she's "President for life". :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

glasso wrote: »

I think it's meant to be an amalgamation of the two - physically the character resembles McAleese more, but the husband is clearly Nicholas Robinson - I take it it's a comment on the similarity of our last two presidents, hence the "President for Life" title she gets.

Edit: Curses on you, El Diablo, and your one minute quicker than me ways! :)

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I think it's meant to be an amalgamation of the two - physically the character resembles McAleese more, but the husband is clearly Nicholas Robinson - I take it it's a comment on the similarity of our last two presidents, hence the "President for Life" title she gets.

Edit: Curses on you, El Diablo, and your one minute quicker than me ways! :)
    he he. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Absolutely el diablo, in this clip from the pilot, they have titled her Mary Robinson and in all the other episodes, it's just President for Life. It was funny in the replay of the pilot recently, where they dubbed over the part where she introduced her husband Nick and removed the Mary Robinson title. RTÉ Player @3:35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

brilliant show.

the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

It was a fantastic series. Hope their will be a second. Well done Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ivan wrote: »
    If you want something done...

I've seen it done before, think it actually was a RTE sketch show from a 5/6 years ago, can't remember the name.

Does it well though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

I missed most of this series.
    Did catch a repeat the other night on rte - it was the episode with Religion as the main theme of the show.

Absolutely hilarious.
    A geniusly written and acted show.
    How he gets away with the stuff is unbelievable.
    Perfect timing also - the church up the ****s and he has a sketch - Ireland's next top Bishop - pure class.

His family must be mortified - his brother Barry Andrews - is the current Minister for Children - and theres Dave - having a show with a priest with paedophile written on the t-shirt hugging a child
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Elmo wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/v/XFGrQMD6Uqc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFGrQMD6Uqc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ripped of Blazing Saddles, who ripped it off.................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

K-9 wrote: »
    Ripped of Blazing Saddles, who ripped it off.................

You could also put Bono's Zoo TV incarnation 'Mephisto' in there too.. alarmingly similar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JuiceTerry

This was an EXCELLENT Comedy Series.

Astute observations, witty, original, fearless and McSavage just eviscerates Irish nationalism, Catholicism, our sexual repression and the worst aspects of Irish culture.
    He is just spot on with his observations on the unique Irish psyche.

Genius.

Brilliant

The best thing RTE ever did. Up there with the best of Brass Eye, Father Ted, Harry Enfield & the Fast Show.

Very quotable and hilarious. McSavage's ample wit and intelligence just shimmers through in every episode.

If you dont find this funny you are obviously thick or reluctant to ridicule the country you happen to be from due to an accident of birth.

Lets hope RTE give him a second series ! The man is a mad genius but crucially an hysterically funny mad genius.

Kudos to the supporting cast - they are all great stand up comedians but who knew that they would all make for very talented, capable and versatile actors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

JuiceTerry wrote: »
    Astute observations, witty, original, fearless and McSavage just eviscerates Irish nationalism, Catholicism, our sexual repression and the worst aspects of Irish culture.

I always find this to be a load of bollix that Irish people aren't funny because we can't laugh at ourselves in any shape or form. To me this is often just another form of begurdgery.

Personally this was an only an okay series I wouldn't be putting it up on a pedistool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I agree. This may well be the funniest comedy series RTE has ever produced. Mc Savage may or may not be an asshat in real life, his stand-up may suck and many of his sketches may depend on some easy to pull shock levers but the Savage Eye consistently made me laugh out loud week in, week out. Is he Irelands answer to John Cleese perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

SalteeDog wrote: »
    I agree. This may well be the funniest comedy series RTE has ever produced. Mc Savage may or may not be an asshat in real life, his stand-up may suck and many of his sketches may depend on some easy to pull shock levers but the Savage Eye consistently made me laugh out loud week in, week out. Is he Irelands answer to John Cleese perhaps?

He is Ireland's answer to John Cleese, Rowan Atkinson and Johnny Vegas combined. Pure Genius.

Very Hard to get his Stand-up DVD though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SalteeDog wrote: »

That is weird, he reminded me of John Cleese too, It's the way he can get a laugh from me without saying anything, he uses his facial features to great effect. I see the savage eye is on in Vicar st in april. I wonder will it be anthing new? I just hope he goes back to the drawing board get's a second series and raises the bar a notch. It would be very Irish if he went all complacent now and joined in with the other rte goons, i doubt he will though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 corkage

It was bar far the best comedy RTE have ever produced,edgy, original and black black homour,it's just a shame a lot of people didn't know it was on, RTE need to re run it and this time put some promotion behind it....meanwhile looking forward to the box set.:D

Advertisement