Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Didn't need a personal history of the guy. If you take the programme on its merits then it was a serious departure from most of the muck that passes for comedy in this country. It has a go at some of the sacred cows.
    I find most Irish comedians to be grindingly unfunny. The idea that we are all great crack etc. andloved around the world is delusional happy shmrock nonsense. However there does seem to be a rise in this flag waving patriotism, no matter how ****e the offering.
    Like our property bubble, we had a comedy bubble as well and hopefully it has burst.
    I enjoyed the programme overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

If you take the programme on its merits then it was a serious departure from most of the muck that passes for comedy in this country. It has a go at some of the sacred cows.

I disagree. Not only did this trash have no merits (or at least none of it's own, everything was nicked from elsewhere. The top ten countdown and annoying twee voice was the awful Langerland's format last year. Were they paid off in order to make those unfunny inserts in Republic of Telly?) but the only "sacred cows" it tackled I've heard said before and better by countless arsey, wannabe-intellectual student hipsters or by Irish Independent columists trying to get attention.

Wow, he had a go at failed Irish arty types; that took balls - their unions, antidefamation groups and lawyers are going to come down hard on him now.

And if you think the priest=pedophile joke (bombing Irish commedian stock joke #1) is a sacred cow...

Get back to me when McSavage has a go at RTE, (the reason Republic of Telly is meaningless, RTE news/current affairs is hilarious but fair city is the only rte show they're allowed cover) civil service nepotism, Fianna Fail dynasties or bitter, abusive buskers who are dispised/pitied from one end of the country to the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

alvysinger wrote: »
    'You were boring and self indulgent'. Slightly shocked, i retorted: 'Really? Coz thats just my act - but for you its a way of life.' He told me to **** off. i told him to **** off.

Were you boring and self-indulgent ? I mean you're not doing standup now right so presumably something was wrong ? Maybe he was just elling it how he saw it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Unbelievably bad television. He only got the show because of his family connections. The worst thing RTE have ever broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dirk Anagram

RE: the Tropic Thunder thing - I remember he actually used the same music for his "child abusing the priest" sketch in his Channel 4 show two years ago before Thunder came out. But to do it again with monks! .....nobody on the set must've seen the film or something. "Satan's Alley" wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

You are all bitter because McSavage probably slagged you all off at one time or another.

He is a funny man and this show is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

I'm not bitter and I've never met the man. I just thought it was ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

InisMor wrote: »
    You are all bitter because McSavage probably slagged you all off at one time or another.

He is a funny man and this show is great.

I'm not bitter, I just feel desperately sorry for the guy. I've heard he has a lot of problems (recovering alcoholic, mental illness, his wife leaving him etc) and boy does that come across in his work.

He's never slagged me off in the street or any time i've seen him in the international (before he was - allegedly - barred). But I guess now i'm bitter that he HASN'T slagged me off? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Some very good stuff in this, despite the unlikeability of his street persona and the tedium of his street material. I particularly liked the seanchai retelling Taxi Driver.

Twelve writers were credited. That's good news both for this show and for the future. There's nothing like experience for showing people what works and what doesn't.

Was it really catered by someone called "Cherry Stambridge", or is that a weight joke about Ireland's other satirist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 youareyou

A glass of begrudgery and a shot of misery anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I liked it.

The sketch about the Rebel Songs is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

alvysinger

like others I didn't need the mini-bio either.

but seeing as you brought up your encounter with him - he has made a career for himself with it, and by your own words you "limped off stage" - meaning you either suffered a physical ailment or you were being metaphorical in describing your show as unsuccessful.

maybe McSavage was trying to do you a favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Will this thread see a return of McSavage to boards.ie or will he not fall into that trap again?

Stay tuned...... *DUM* *DUM* *DUM* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Think savage has gotton all his mates to sign up here to big him up, look at all the new posters defending him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 youareyou

Think savage has gotton all his mates to sign up here to big him up, look at all the new posters defending him.

Im going to tell hom you said that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One or two sketches were actually very funny but his performance on that kids Cafe program was pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

masteire wrote: »
    it looked as though it came from a python workbook, that all i mean people, chill out

We'll let you off :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oferfaille

this was brilliant - funniest thing RTE have done in years. If you didn't like it it's because you have a rotten sense of humour. It was satirical, surreal, exhilirating, firmly in the tradition of our best comic writer Flann O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they hate him over in after hours for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

oferfaille wrote: »
    this was brilliant - funniest thing RTE have done in years. If you didn't like it it's because you have a rotten sense of humour. It was satirical, surreal, exhilirating, firmly in the tradition of our best comic writer Flann O'Brien.

Hi, David!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oferfaille

ha ha, nice try etho but no hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

I'm not bitter and I've never met the man. I just thought it was ****e.

Hi, Jealous Comedian! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Just watched this on iplayer. Wanted to dislike it but actually enjoyed it a lot! Its a step up from the usual RTE rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I notice (in AH anyway) many people are just condemning it over their qualms with McSavage. Many haven't even bothered watching it and are criticising it. I never had anything against McSavage, and I thought Savage Eye was hilarious. Best thing out of RTE in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I thought it was really funny! :D. "We bate the Brits with rebel songs" ! Classic. He portrayed the typical semi-retarded barman type with shocking precision. "He's qare, he a fecking qare"

Fantastic stuff. Will be tuning in next week without a doubt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

jumpguy wrote: »
    I thought Savage Eye was hilarious.

That's pushing the boat out a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

I thought it was quite funny. Brightened up a boring evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

you just managed in one post to be funnier than the mans entire back catalogue of jokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

oferfaille wrote: »

Flann O'Brien my ar$€! Flann's writing was full of wit and real insight. The Savage Eye offers nothing but a cheap chuckle for those who know no other form of comedy than pure pi$$taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it repeated during the week??

Advertisement