Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Excellent episode tonight, kinda touching end to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yup it was a goodin tonight. Gimme more.

Hope it isn't the end of the show itself.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thought it was only ok.
    Ther way I see it they had 3 excellent episode followed by 3 average ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Good episode. "News-2-Youse" LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is it just me or did it and does it often seem like people are just giving up? Some of the people on this were like yeah I'm out-a-here, not even gonna try, give me my 4 year degree and its LA baby! <<<<< sorry I don't know why i felt like writing this post like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Elmo wrote: »
    Is it just me or did it and does it often seem like people are just giving up? Some of the people on this were like yeah I'm out-a-here, not even gonna try, give me my 4 year degree and its LA baby! <<<<< sorry I don't know why i felt like writing this post like that.
    they were not all real people though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

they were not all real people though?

The interviews on the street? They're all real.

What i found distrubing was some of the accents coming from a few of those people interveiwed on the street. There were 2 girls talking in a bizarre american/dublin sort of dialect? WFT is that about? I thought they were american for a few seconds then i realised they were actually irish. Just talk like an irish person FFS & stop pretending to be some sort of LA socialite. Seriously embarrassing. I hear the same hybrid (i really want to be american yaaaay!) accent in that rte show fake fade street.

Like omg, your totally joking me right? Like wow dude...like whatever..like ya know like....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

There were 2 girls talking in a bizarre american/dublin sort of dialect? WFT is that about?

Its called D4. And its absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I am absolutely ****ing loving the savage eye!

I really didn't want to like it because I had jumped on the 'Mc Savage is a wanker' bandwagon but jesus some of the skits are solid gold

Don't get me wrong, Mc Savage is prob still a wanker but I can sort of see what he's getting at since this series.

Best thing on RTE for ages imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i cant believe how much this show has improved from a rather unfunny 1st series. i use to despise this show but its so so good its turned me around hope theres more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Is it just me or did it and does it often seem like people are just giving up? Some of the people on this were like yeah I'm out-a-here, not even gonna try, give me my 4 year degree and its LA baby!
    That's because young people these days have been educated in school by mostly female teachers and ended up spineless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

What i found distrubing was some of the accents coming from a few of those people interveiwed on the street. There were 2 girls talking in a bizarre american/dublin sort of dialect? WFT is that about? I thought they were american for a few seconds then i realised they were actually irish. Just talk like an irish person FFS & stop pretending to be some sort of LA socialite. Seriously embarrassing. I hear the same hybrid (i really want to be american yaaaay!) accent in that rte show fake fade street.

Like omg, your totally joking me right? Like wow dude...like whatever..like ya know like....

:rolleyes:

Also disturbing are the students that come up from the country to study in Dublin and adopting a D4 accent within months. Now, that's SAD. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No you're right. I have so many friends who have pulled out the line of "there's nothing here for me, there's no jobs, there's no money" etc when I know they haven't really tried very hard to get a job. "I mean there was a job in Donegal for a deli assistant, 100s applied, and even architects etc were applying" is what one friend told me. It is true that its harder out there, but a lot of people aren't bothered trying.

Now I know there are cases where people have been stuck for months/years without employment and have worked their árses off to get even an interview, but there is a growing trend of people fleeing the country without really trying and saying there's no opportunities around when they actually have zero idea.

And those people last night really seemed like that type of person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

and you can add in why does everyone EXPECT a job? Why can't they set up their own business, invent something, or work for themselves. Find something that's never been done here before and develop a market for it? How much does it cost to set up a bleedin' website? Sell sh1t online? You don't have to emigrate to do this. It's the Irish 'herd' mentality that's making everyone leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

ricero wrote: »
    i cant believe how much this show has improved from a rather unfunny 1st series. i use to despise this show but its so so good its turned me around hope theres more

Thought the first series was comedy gold myself. Was visiting a cousin whose family had moved to Canada 20 years back last summer and showed it to him and he was pissing himself at it. Would say series 1 was more consistent that the new one to be honest although the sports episode was probably the best one he's done.

Dunno how long he can keep dragging it out given the fact that the same reasons are used again and again, hard to keep it fresh.

Hats off though, 2 quality seasons of comedy on RTE, that's unheard of.

Hard to believe he was the butt of the joke on this sketch here....

maximoose wrote: »
    Its called D4. And its absolutely horrific.

Nope, i know what the D4 accent sounds like. What im hearing (& even seeing written in boards posts) is a new sort of pretend hybrid american lingo that relys on very popular american slang buzzwords & terminology. Just be fcuking irish & stop acting like the actors in US sitcoms & shows like the hills.

Im off topic. Hope the savage eye gets another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I wonder will it. It is absolute genius but I imagine he ruffled a few feathers even in RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Cole

What i found distrubing was some of the accents coming from a few of those people interveiwed on the street.

Like omg, your totally joking me right? Like wow dude...like whatever..like ya know like....:rolleyes:
    This is a major cause of annoyance for me, they're everywhere nowadays.

You must remember the Ross O'Carroll Kelly guy in the pink t-shirt being interviewed on the street, at the very start of the episode on sport?:eek::eek::eek: (can't find a clip).
    He was one of the stand out 'characters' from series two, for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I actually found the final scene to be quite poignant and touching (up until the priest arrived). All the young people saying goodbye close to the Dublin docks,again Ireland was saying goodbye to its youth, its talent, its future, entire families.

I thought McSavage took off his comedian cap here and showed the true sadness that was happening throughout Ireland. A great series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Nope, i know what the D4 accent sounds like. What im hearing (& even seeing written in boards posts) is a new sort of pretend hybrid american lingo that relys on very popular american slang buzzwords & terminology. Just be fcuking irish & stop acting like the actors in US sitcoms & shows like the hills.

You're right. It doesn't sound like a Dublin 4 accent to me either, though it has some quirks in common.

One of its odder characteristics is that something very like an 'a' is substituted for all the other vowel sounds. 'Well' sounds like 'Wahll', and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Big Game wrote: »
    Hard to believe he was the butt of the joke on this sketch here....

I'm not familiar with his pre-Savage Eye work, but it has a very bad reputation. I guess he was trying to make it as a stand-up? It seems to me he's a good actor and has the mean streak that is requisite for satire, which is perhaps why the Savage Eye has worked when his previous work didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Cole wrote: »
    You must remember the Ross O'Carroll Kelly guy in the pink t-shirt being interviewed on the street, at the very start of the episode on sport?:eek::eek::eek: (can't find a clip).

was that yer man who went on about rugby and if you don't play it your not part of the click :pac: it hard to think these people actually exist

is that episode not on RTE player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Cole

Auvers wrote: »
    was that yer man who went on about rugby and if you don't play it your not part of the click :pac: it hard to think these people actually exist

is that episode not on RTE player?

That's the guy. That episode's gone off RTE player now and it's been removed fron Youtube.

I thought it had to be a p1ss take when I first saw it, but I have met people like that in my (south Dublin) gym......so maybe not so unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I actually found the final scene to be quite poignant and touching (up until the priest arrived). All the young people saying goodbye close to the Dublin docks,again Ireland was saying goodbye to its youth, its talent, its future, entire families.

I thought McSavage took off his comedian cap here and showed the true sadness that was happening throughout Ireland. A great series.

The original ending was a big dance number I heard. They must have decided against using it in favour of the more sombre ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The original ending was a big dance number I heard. They must have decided against using it in favour of the more sombre ending.
    the dance number was to follow the sombre scene and into the ending credits as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought this series was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

AnonoBoy wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

they made the right choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

zuroph wrote: »
    they made the right choice.

Big time, the ending they went with worked really well.

Advertisement