Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

I was one of the 'dancers' in the alternative ending, looks like I missed out on my 15 seconds of fame:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I actually found the final scene to be quite poignant and touching (up until the priest arrived). All the young people saying goodbye close to the Dublin docks,again Ireland was saying goodbye to its youth, its talent, its future, entire families.

I thought McSavage took off his comedian cap here and showed the true sadness that was happening throughout Ireland. A great series.

Yeh I found this really moving too, going by the way the country is going Im probably gonna have to emigrate myself, which is something I really, really dont want to do.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

excellent ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

I thought this wold be completely pony but i dont know, it's not that bad, it's certainly a cut above the likes of The Panel, Republic of Telly etc. At least there's a bit of originality about it

Agreed. I really like the Blathnaid Ni Cofig sketches. http://www.youtube.com/user/fennessy1980?feature=mhum#p/f/6/g1YTmmE3a6I
    Definitely think it has potential. It's nice to see some more abstract humor coming to rte....though I think some of the deliveries can be poor at times.

I miss these guys.....gold!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fennessy1980?feature=mhum#p/f/5/tuNXEstvhZo

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Ending was perfect. I was getting really sad actually watching it ...I'm also surprised that the priest didn't leg it after young Ireland and instead chose to hang around to cop a feel of daddy Ireland's arse.

Come on now McSavage, stay on message!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

dazey wrote: »
    Ending was perfect. I was getting really sad actually watching it ...I'm also surprised that the priest didn't leg it after young Ireland and instead chose to hang around to cop a feel of daddy Ireland's arse.

Come on now McSavage, stay on message!
    thought that was interesting.

the arm around the shoulder which proceeds the ass grab, is the key. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

That fantastic clip just reminded me that Barry Murphy has been doing this stuff for years! Always funny and criminally underexposed (unless you're a "footie" fan), he's the Irish John Cleese. And way before McSavage too.

A very funny man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Is the savage eye not on tonight??? Whats the craic jack!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

cursai wrote: »
    Is the savage eye not on tonight??? Whats the craic jack!!!

last week was end of series.

But there was only about three episodes, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

cursai wrote: »
    But there was only about three episodes, no?

6 episodes, same as season one.

Sorry.....just checked sky plus there!! God it flew by. They produce about fifty episodes of Fair city and six episodes of a good show. Hope its back on soon!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Overall, IMO I thought the series was pretty good in parts. Better than most of the stuff RTE Comedy churn out. Good to see it and credit where due. Some of the characters were pure spun gold though ... the Cavan barman with his fixation on homosexuals' The junkie doing "News for Youse" (sp) was Rats from Paths To Freedom taken up another notch. "Hey Hey We're The Nordies" etc etc. Brilliant LOL stuff. Enjoyed some of the stuff also done by your man who was in Fr Ted as, I think Eoin McLove .

Another series please and get the repeats going RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

I thought it was fairly good. :D Some parts were awful, but there was a lot of it that was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Great show. Can't wait for the next one.

Saw John Colleary (the lad who does the Brian Lenihan character) doing stand up on Saturday at the Bohs fc fundraiser in the Olympia on Saturday and he was absolute gold, had the place in stitches. Very very fuuny man, the sketches he does on The Last Word on todat fm are pretty good as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 _moxie

Liam Hourican -from the Roy Keane sketch- is in the RTE Storyland competition this year. The first episode goes live on 2nd March.

The Last Security Man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't know about anyone else, but the clips where he's behind the bar and talking about bum sex, and queers and that, is just not funny. It's plain weird, and vulgar for vulgars' sake. Very OTT, and for what reason?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

walshb wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but the clips where he's behind the bar and talking about bum sex, and queers and that, is just not funny. It's plain weird, and vulgar for vulgars' sake. Very OTT, and for what reason?:rolleyes:

Ripping the piss out of the stereotypical culchy homophob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

He's joking you see. Savage eye is a comedy show. It doesn't reflect the true opinions or views of anyone who acts out these sketches in the show. He's mocking a very real aspect of irish culture which is a wee bit homophobic & a bit frightened of anyone who doesn't match their idea of whats 'normal'.

Unfortunately this particular sketch is often used as a platform for people appling for the Institute of Politically Correct Whinging to have a rant at mcsavage, labelling him homophobic & various other dramatic accusations.

If he does a sketch about homophobia - he hates gay people.
    If he does a sketch about cork people - he hates cork people.
    If he does a sketch about kerry people - he hates kerry people.
    If he does a sketch with a black guy in it - he's racist.

Yadda yadda yadda. He's taking the piss....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Weird can often be funny. Check out the 'Mick the bull' piece here from 1.10 in and the vox pop after, very very funny. As others have expained, it's an exagerated caricature....

Whatever he's doing, that part is just not funny. The reason being that it's too OTT, which makes it pure vulgar, and NOT funny. You can over-do a sketch; that is what I see in the barman sketch. Humor is usually better when subtle. One of the biggest reasons that the Snapper to me is crap, is because it's over stressed, and does not reflect any reality. It is over played, which makes it not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If I was homophobic I'd find it very difficult to watch too.

Whatever he's doing, that part is just not funny. The reason being that it's too OTT, which makes it pure vulgar, and NOT funny. You can over-do a sketch; that is what I see in the barman sketch. Humor is usually better when subtle. One of the biggest reasons that the Snapper to me is crap, is because it's over stressed, and does not reflect any reality. It is over played, which makes it not funny.

Do you think Monty Python was funny? Or Spike Milligan? The Young Ones?

Comedy does not necessarily have to reflect reality (or be subtle for that matter) and I'd argue the bulk of it doesn't.

Personally I found The Snapper hilarious but different strokes.....

You ever see a film called The Last Supper? Very dark comedy with quite subtle humour but was still totally unrealistic, it seems that your own view on humour seems quite narrow. No offence meant.

Big Game wrote: »
    Do you think Monty Python was funny? Or Spike Milligan? The Young Ones?

Comedy does not necessarily have to reflect reality (or be subtle for that matter) and I'd argue the bulk of it doesn't.

Personally I found The Snapper hilarious but different strokes.....

You ever see a film called The Last Supper? Very dark comedy with quite subtle humour but was still totally unrealistic, it seems that your own view on humour seems quite narrow. No offence meant.

The problem with the Snapper was it was far too overplayed, and when comedy is forced, then that is what ruins it for me. The characters/scenes in The Snapper were forced. Sharon was appallingly bad.

As for the barman. It was not funny. He was simply being very explicit and vulgar in talking about gay sex. What is funny with that?
    Also, just to be clear, it's not only because it's gay sex, it is just his vulgarity. Way OTT!

Also, I didn't like The Snapper, nor the Cavan barman, and that seems to make my sense of humour narrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ripping the piss out of the stereotypical culchy homophob.

He's actually based on a real person too.

The problem with the Snapper was it was far too overplayed, and when comedy is forced, then that is what ruins it for me. The characters/scenes in The Snapper were forced. Sharon was appallingly bad.

As for the barman. It was not funny. He was simply being very explicit and vulgar in talking about gay sex. What is funny with that?
    Also, just to be clear, it's not only because it's gay sex, it is just his vulgarity. Way OTT!

Also, I didn't like The Snapper, nor the Cavan barman, and that seems to make my sense of humour narrow?

No, it's the fact that you seem to think that only your sense of humour is valid. I quote, 'It was not funny.' It wasn't funny in your opinion. Myself and many others thought it was very funny. Different strokes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

best comedy show rte ever produced, the barman sketches are top drawer, "quares"!!! more nd soon please

best comedy show rte ever produced, the barman sketches are top drawer, "quares"!!! more nd soon please

Toss up between Savage Eye and Paths to Freedom for me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Big Game wrote: »
    Toss up between Savage Eye and Paths to Freedom for me.....

truth, paths to freedom was so far ahead of its time, magnificent.

Advertisement