Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Will there be a Savage Eye DVD for the current series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you're offended by the Barman sketches, you kinda missed the point. And on the other hand, if you think the Barman sketches are funny because of the things he's saying about gay people... you REALLY missed the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Grayditch wrote: »
    If you're offended by the Barman sketches, you kinda missed the point. And on the other hand, if you think the Barman sketches are funny because of the things he's saying about gay people... you REALLY missed the point.
    ya hooo gooogle....
    i nearly collapsed on the floor after that sketch!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Did anyone see the last sketch in the last episode?

It had a guy dressed as a big Ireland, saying goodbye to people who are emigrating. The last one to leave was a small Ireland, who walked away and then cried out "See you in the future".

I thought it was very moving and powerrful in the way it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

best comedy show rte ever produced, the barman sketches are top drawer, "quares"!!! more nd soon please

But this is the thing.
    Homophobia is eminently satirisable and ripe for piss-taking.
    Unfortunately, i think he misses this opportunity, because the sketch isn't actually funny.
    As stated, it's too obvious.
    IMO it would be a lot funnier eg if you had to work a bit to see the homophobia (eg if it was subtle, wrapped up in an otherwise ostensibly acceptable demeanour- maybe even homophobia that was barely perceptible).

Here because it's so banal and predictable a target- ie the old culchie barman, it's anything but challenging or interesting (because it's not a stretch to imagine that an old culchie may have those views).
    He's not mining any interesting territory here.

Mocking homophobia coming from the mouth of a less obvious suspect would IMO be funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But then the question becomes do you make it so obvious and outrageous that people can't miss it or make it challenging and hidden and risk people missing the point....

I think the general public more easily latch onto the obvious and outrageous. I'm not saying that either is better, but I think its better from a production point of view to be outrageous and you either like it or you don't then make the humour challenging and risk the audience missing the point.

Also, bear in mind that RTE comedy is usually quite in your face and its audience is used to more outrageous obvous comedy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zuroph wrote: »
    truth, paths to freedom was so far ahead of its time, magnificent.

Got it in HMV for 10euro. :D

Of course it not obvious comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Just watched it again - the Tourism one, probably the best episode.

very, very funny.

Considering his background, he can't pull off satirising working class dubs.

He is satirising everyone in Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

coming from someone whos seen a lot of his street comedy, i know where its coming from, hes had few run ins with rough folks in dublin and hes venting it by mocking people with flat dublin accents, i just dont think people would get down with an ivy leager making jokes about people from the projects, for example. still at least RTE is giving WC people some coverage for once even if its as the butt of jokes from someone of a privileged background, sure makes a change from Pat Kenny's serpentine broadcasts.

lol. bump a thread, reg a new account, just to have a moan about someone who obv rubbed you up the wrong way, and at the same time destroy your own point by missing half of the show and presuming its just about mocking flat dublin accents and similar. you really really REALLY don't get it.

• Advertisement

spot on mate, if youve heard him speak youll see why its not satire, hes not the sharpest card in the deck

You suggested he was satire, I was following on from your comment. I have issues with the Savage Eye, which I have stated on this board. However is mockery of just Flat Dublin accents isn't one of them, as he has also mocked the political establishment from which he comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Which sketches are you thinking of, in particular? Is it the Over-20s insurance commercial, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I didnt destroy my own point, I liked some of the other sketches, I didnt hold that that was it was only about (thats additional info inferred by you). I just dont think he can pull it off, taking the piss out of the downtrodden, im sorry but satirising his own background doesnt "even things up". He's the one that doesnt get it because hes never lived that life.

proof again you didnt get it. he was mocking that this divide exists. that Ireland has such a problem that for some, living beyond 20 is against the odds. he wasnt mocking the people, he was mocking the situation Ireland finds itself in. IN EVERY EPISSODE. hence the "Why is ireland so..." theme....

If it's the character in the insurance sketch you're thinking of, I don't think he's meant to be a working-class character, as such. He's a heroin addict. That zombie-like delivery isn't anything to do with being working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fivehoursofsky

When is there due to be another series, does anybody know? I need a hit - depressing times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

When is there due to be another series, does anybody know? I need a hit - depressing times.

Dunno when but dvd is coming out in time for Crimbo, should be loads of extras hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ed Sheeran

Most of the people on here seem to hate it.
    I think it's hilarious and can't wait for the next series.
    How can you not think these clips aren't funny??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpThu1JtUI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2IlCDGMSBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPISMWa0SMU

Especially the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Ed Sheeran wrote: »

Especially the last one.

Personally I think Dave McSavage is a comedic genius but he certainly gets a LOT of hate from boardsies for some reason. I actually believe the majority of those haters dont "Get" him. I'm not trying to be facetious btw. I actually think its a generational thing, I'd be close enough in age to McSavage.
    It reminds me of the Hate that Ricky Gervais gets aswell.

Have we lost the ability to recognise irony ?

claiva wrote: »
    Personally I think Dave McSavage is a comedic genius but he certainly gets a LOT of hate from boardsies for some reason. I actually believe the majority of those haters dont "Get" him. I'm not trying to be facetious btw. I actually think its a generational thing, I'd be close enough in age to McSavage.
    It reminds me of the Hate that Ricky Gervais gets aswell.

Have we lost the ability to recognise irony ?
    Part of the problem is that when he appears in interviews as himself he's combative, evasive, weird, patronising and not very funny. At least the times I've seen him. The time he was on Vincent Browne's Friday night show was a case in point.

I like The Savage Eye a lot, and I think he's also a gifted comic actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

claiva wrote: »
    Personally I think Dave McSavage is a comedic genius but he certainly gets a LOT of hate from boardsies for some reason. I actually believe the majority of those haters dont "Get" him.

It's not a case of not 'getting' him it's a case of meeting him. He's got a reputation for a reason.

However his show is very funny. I think he's much better suited to a sketch show like this than he is to being a stand-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Boardsies dislike him because he insulted them a while back in a boards interview. The ensuing thread in After Hours was hilarious for the amount of hypocritically indignant posts. They can dish it out over there but they quickly became the biggest bunch of babies on the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pidgeonhouse

Ed Sheeran wrote: »

Especially the last one.

I do think these clips aren't funny!

Don't think I've ever seen anything as bad...anywhere, any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Boardsies dislike him because he insulted them a while back in a boards interview. The ensuing thread in After Hours was hilarious for the amount of hypocritically indignant posts. They can dish it out over there but they quickly became the biggest bunch of babies on the interweb.

Good lord - he's been hated on boards for years before that interview. But yes it was pretty funny when people got all pissy on that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pidgeonhouse

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Good lord - he's been hated on boards for years before that interview. But yes it was pretty funny when people got all pissy on that thread.

I never heard of him before the series, never heard any interview or heard him speak, apart from a couple of minutes of the TV show last year, a couple of youtube clips (see above)...and I just can't bear it, I literally feel ill at the sight/sound of his various characters, and as for his main sidekick...

He himself may be a nice fella, it's nothing personal.

Interesting all the same the various reactions the material gets from different people.

Just watched an episode of this after hearing about it for so long. Utter shíte. Both myself and the OH, who have mainly different comedic tastes from each other, hadn't a clue what we were supposed to be getting from it, nevermind what to laugh at. I stuck out the half hour regardless, all I could see was an extremely poor attempt to rip off Chris Morris' Brass Eye. Trust RTE.

By the way I had never seen anything with Dave McSavage previously and wasn't aware that he took a dig at boardsies (who apparently can all be bundled into a nice neat generalised set) and as you can see from my post count, it wouldn't really cause me to lose any sleep or dislike his show if he did. Point is, it's just complete toilet-filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

What are all of you on, its the funniest show on irish telly and hits the nail bang on the head with a lot of issue's. the guard trainen school one of the funniest sketches ever broadcast on radio teilifis eireann!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The last series of the Savage Eye was the smartest Irish sketch program in years, absolutely brilliant but I can see why some people don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

stankratz wrote: »
    I stuck out the half hour regardless, all I could see was an extremely poor attempt to rip off Chris Morris' Brass Eye. Trust RTE.

I really don't see the similarities between Savage Eye and Brass Eye (besides both of them having Eye in the title and them tackling one loose theme per episode). What did you think made it a rip off?

I do think these clips aren't funny!

Don't think I've ever seen anything as bad...anywhere, any time
    How are they bad?
    What comedians do you like so?

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    What are all of you on, its the funniest show on irish telly and hits the nail bang on the head with a lot of issue's. the guard trainen school one of the funniest sketches ever broadcast on radio teilifis eireann!
    The guard one is brilliant alright. "There's a guard in there somewhere trying to get out" haha

This is another good one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fE6hcYbePk

and these two.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2TVvt2On0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wwKDQhZms&feature=related

How can you not find these funny? Unless you have no sense of humour whatsoever

Advertisement