Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I have just seen it on RTE player, and its s***e!!

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1060811

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

It's all different opinions, no one's opinion is more important than another. Some liked it, some didn't. It's depends on the sense of humour you have I suppose. I laughed at a few bits in it and I'm looking forward to next week's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 board I se

Thought this show was terrible.. I have only seen the guy a few times and he is always trying too hard say something controversial.... He was on that thing the last day on RTE2 (6 o clock) doing the same, thing is full of teenagers and kids....dope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

Ann22 wrote: »
    It's all different opinions, no one's opinion is more important than another. Some liked it, some didn't. It's depends on the sense of humour you have I suppose.

Who needs Kant, Hegel, and Confucius when we've insight like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

eth0_ wrote: »
    What did he do on The Cafe?

Have a look on RTE player here http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1060753
    he comes in at about 14mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

It reminded me of a series of comedy sketches put on by secondary pupils for the school's annual variety show but without the laughs.

A pity really as I was expecting something good. I saw McSavage give an impromptu performance in Patrick Street, Cork a couple of years ago and he was very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I have no more time for McSavage than anyone else but I thought that show was absolutely fantastic. Yes you could see influences from Python, Little Britain, The Fast Show etc. but it worked and I laughed out load numerous times during it. And I'm a complete comedy snob.

There was more to that show than McSavage, some talented people there. I hope they keep up the same quality, the themed structure broken down into numbered sections should facilitate it not going off the rails if they stick to it.

Well done to those involved. And was that Eleanor Tiernan I saw in the scene where she was the mother of the large family whose sons was dying and they gathered around him for heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Just watched it and thought it was one of the funniest RTE programmes I've seen in a long time. I can't stand McSavage normally but maybe he's found what he's good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

hotspur wrote: »
    I thought that show was absolutely fantastic. I laughed out load numerous times during it. And I'm a complete comedy snob.

That settles it then. The Savage Eye must be spectacular, if we've a self-proclaimed comedy snob in our midst who found it to be totally outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Radiotower wrote: »

Just watched it. Oh my goodness. Can't believe how nasty McSavage was to the presenter - totally unprovoked. And accusing audience members of looking at him strangely? The guy is cuckoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Radiotower wrote: »

Jesus wept. He's horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

omg its crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

oferfaille wrote: »
    this was brilliant - funniest thing RTE have done in years. If you didn't like it it's because you have a rotten sense of humour. It was satirical, surreal, exhilirating, firmly in the tradition of our best comic writer Flann O'Brien.

Oh dear Jaysus. If you think McSavage is in anyway similar to someone of the talent of Flann O'Brien then you're sorely mistaken.

2 post wonders coming on to threads generally were involved in the production, are the writer/performer or are riding or related to the writer/performer (sometimes both).

But since it is McSavage and all his family hate him I'm presuming you're not related. And since he's such a horrible shrivel of an excuse for a man I'm hoping for your sake you're not riding him so I'm going to presume you were involved in the production (although from my experience most people who work with the man wouldn't defend him online - or anywhere in fact).

The show does show some promise but Flann O'Brien? Please. McSavage himself probably thinks this but no other sane person should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cheweybacca

Good first show for me. Plenty of variety and new characters. Some good and some not. Too early to cast judgement. Give it a few weeks to bed in. Much funnier than that paddy gallagher jake/Panel crowd ****e.

Scien wrote: »
    Had a look on the Player there. Great effort I must admit, I got lots of laughs from it.
    I’ll be watching next week for sure.

Some people in here need to loosen the funk up.
    If you didn’t laugh at any of that, you are a boring person.

Or somebody with a modicum of intelligence and wit.

And anyone comparing McSavage to Flann O'Brien is either on a wind-up or David McSavage. Or the most stupid person alive.

Edit: Just noticed that person has 2 posts and joined yesterday. McSavage it is. Which also qualifies him for the most stupid person alive. Win Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Or somebody with a modicum of intelligence and wit.

And anyone comparing McSavage to Flann O'Brien is either on a wind-up or David McSavage. Or the most stupid person alive.

Edit: Just noticed that person has 2 posts and joined yesterday. McSavage it is. Which also qualifies him for the most stupid person alive. Win Win!

No Opinions until you have 104 posts people.... YOU HEAR THAT....NO OPINIONS TILL YOU HAVE 104 POSTS.

That's not my point, and you know it.

TheBlock wrote: »
    No Opinions until you have 104 posts people.... YOU HEAR THAT....NO OPINIONS TILL YOU HAVE 104 POSTS.

:D

Ah we all know the score with the 2 post posters who only seem to post about one Irish TV show. It happens every time something new comes on and they're never anything to do with the show. Oh no. Never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Clearly a wind up. Can't believe some people fell for it. Its like comparing James Joyce to Celcelia Ahern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Ceceila will be a legend in a hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pidgeonhouse

This stuff is as bad as it gets. What is it about Irish comedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Did he get his own show on RTE because he's "Irelands funniest comedian" or because he's tubridys cousin? You decide....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Ceceila will be a legend in a hundred years.

He He now that is funny.:)

Em a few points.
    Seen McSavage on the cafe thing and felt sorry for him, genuinely. Seems like he might ruin his future if he doesn't cop on.
    However, I despise most of RTE comedy but there were some good moments in this. Actually the ones mentioned (post 98 and the one with the sean nos or whatever doing travis bickle.
    McSavage is a pretty angry guy, which may be a personal prob. but i suppose it feeds the work.
    Ireland needs some strong criticism, across a lot of areas, hopefully this guy will spread his targets wider.
    As for newbies - i'm new to this site (been on different one) and the primary reason i came on was to rant about how shockingly bad that Val Falvey prog was. Can't speak for other newbies. I said it before and i'll say it again - Spin the Bottle was one of, the best/funniest comedy this country had produced. (also think Meave Higgins vittle shows great potential, though i know many will disagree.:))
    To be honest it's a relief i joined this board, because one's friends and family get tired of me ranting about how bad Irish sitcom comedy is.
    That's a thing bout the savage thing - its only sketch - different thing to sitcom - therefore quite watachable. ps Pity Podge n Rodge lost the plot

Spin the Bottle was one of, the best/funniest comedy this country had produced.

Please tell me you mean Paths to Freedom and not the woefully off-the-mark feature film spin-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I haven't seen the show but I'm going to watch it with an open mind. I suspect it will be quite good. David McSavage is a real nasty piece of work though. Rotten to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 snosae

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    :D

Ah we all know the score with the 2 post posters who only seem to post about one Irish TV show. It happens every time something new comes on and they're never anything to do with the show. Oh no. Never!

I just joined and I want to use my 1st post to say I think MacSavage is utter ****e. - what is it with all of these ANdrews bastards running over rte? Nepotistic HOLE! How topical and current savage eye is with its President for LIfe and **** Gerret van Geldern narrator? wont watch this ***t's show again. OR Val Falvey. When will people realise that O'Hanlon cannot act? he is just another scion of a fianna fail family. Admitedly he was funny in Fr Ted but how long ago was that (and he wasn't even a good actor in it just funny). and the Panel and Pog and Rog are totally unfunny ****. GIVE US SOMETHING NEW RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

just watched it on rte real player there. Have to say I wasn't expecting much but it was pretty funny. Has good potential anyway.

The Seamus Heaney skit about the word turf made me laugh out loud I have to admit.

Also he bears a scary resemblence to Noel Fielding from Might Boosh, during his "president for life" performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Just watched it meself and its alright, theres the odd funny sketch like but mainly it was pretty crap. Some of the sketches are just so stupid and pointless. He's clearly trying to copy Langerland in taking the piss out of everyday Irish culture, and like I say the odd sketch is funny but they're mainly sh*te. Some of them you'd watch and be there thinkin "what the f*ck was that?", as in if he'd tried the same routine in a live gig there'd just be an awkward silence after it, that kinda ****e...

And the bit on the Irish language...I mean that wasn't even funny. Theres so many ways he could've taken the piss with a sketch like 'British Rule', instead he just uses 5mins to talk sh*t about the Irish language, suppose you wouldn't expect anything less from a Westbrit like McSavage.

Ah he's a gobsh*te anyway...

• Advertisement

Those children abused by priests jokes are so hilarious in the light of the report published today. He's a ****ing prick of the highest order.

Advertisement