Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

TO14PHKc...if your involved in tv,then maybe you should remember that choice and taste is subjective,just because you dont like it,doesnt make it a bad show.
    In my mind the best Brit comedy shows at the moment are panel shows...Have I Got News,Buzzcocks,Qi..although that tall girl(name escapes me)on bbc is really promising.

This is a good start!

Long Live McSavage

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TOI4PHKc

TO14PHKc...if your involved in tv,then maybe you should remember that choice and taste is subjective,just because you dont like it,doesnt make it a bad show.
    In my mind the best Brit comedy shows at the moment are panel shows...Have I Got News,Buzzcocks,Qi..although that tall girl(name escapes me)on bbc is really promising.

This is a good start!

I agree with you choice is subjective and I never say it was a bad show I did say it was a good start but I don't think its there yet and its still far off being a good show but yes its a good start. I just think if RTE say ok ya we have done it they will stop trying to make something that is really good and this is at best average.

The panel show in brit are very good at the mo you are right. The show with the tall girl is miranda I think not sure about it to tell you the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

TOI4PHKc wrote: »
    The show with the tall girl is miranda I think not sure about it to tell you the truth

Its a poorly written signposted humour vehicle for the "funny big one off not going out" muck!

BBC are quite bad at this actually, Horne And Corden show et all
    Quickly arranged humour vehicle's for someone who got a few laughs, these shows rarely/never work out

TOI4PHKc id pretty much agree with you on The Savage Eye
    good show me thinks but the jokes have been doing the rounds for a while (no harm in that btw)

Enjoyed the first one very much, such a soft target that needed a kicking and bless him, he laid in:D

elshambo wrote: »

The Savage Eye good show me thinks but the jokes have been doing the rounds for a while (no harm in that btw)

:D

There is no harms using jokes that have been around for a while. But if you do that you cant call it edgily and fresh (not that you said that but some people have). You cant call it a new look a Irish society when people have been saying it for years. I have no problem hearing jokes that I have hear 100 time before if there funny but I do have a problem when people say that its a new insight to something when it is clearly the old hat.

You are right BBC last few sketch show have been poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catat2ee

"Mary Robinson flicking the bean off herself..." At that point, I threw down my remote control and said "Recession or not, I'm paying my licence fee!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

This barman is the best thing since the dirty auld wan.

Fantastic stuff.

Mary Robinson is great too
    Its great!! Best thing RTE ever made!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I hated McSavage as much as the next person but let's give him his props, this programme is absolutely hilarious! We are only 2 episodes in but he has nailed so many great characters already! The rest of the cast are brilliant as well.

There seem to be some very harsh critics in this thread, each to their own - obviously comedy is very subjective but some of the criticism doesn't seem very balanced, it looks like some people are carrying grudges.

The priest stealing the kid was sooooooo good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I hated McSavage as much as the next person
    Why do so many people hate him so much? Were you all victims of his street comedy? ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

el diablo wrote: »
    Why do so many people hate him so much? Were you all victims of his street comedy? ;)

I remember seeing him at a stand up gig in maybe 2002 or 2003 - he was very funny at the time. After that I didn't really hear anything about him until recently, with the street stuff, and was surprised to see the levels of vitriol reserved for him on boards, and the glee in the After Hours thread when he was assaulted.

I don't know why really - I don't find him that offensive, but the amount of people wishing him bodily harm or professing their hate for him is surprisingly high. He's a comedian ffs, he probably hasn't killed anyone related to you or beaten any old ladies up. It makes me think it's either "cool" to claim to hate him, or that most of the people actually aren't that bothered at all, and are jumping on what they perceive as the bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

MikeC101 wrote: »
    It makes me think it's either "cool" to claim to hate him, or that most of the people actually aren't that bothered at all, and are jumping on what they perceive as the bandwagon.

Bandwagon jumping on boards?!

Never! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I hated McSavage as much as the next person but let's give him his props, this programme is absolutely hilarious! We are only 2 episodes in but he has nailed so many great characters already! The rest of the cast are brilliant as well.

There seem to be some very harsh critics in this thread, each to their own - obviously comedy is very subjective but some of the criticism doesn't seem very balanced, it looks like some people are carrying grudges.

The priest stealing the kid was sooooooo good!

So mcsavage isnt a very nice person I've never meet anybody in comedy who wasn't full of themselves and wasn't an asshole. Fact of the matter is he just has to be funny to do his job. The show is still very hit and miss but has some good parts.

Maybe the fact that mcsavage is hated so much is the reason they have so many other writers on the show so that his personal would not be so present on the show. I think if he had not been made the star of the show and was just a writer that appear here and there RTE would have a huge success on there hands and yes it would be the best RTE comedy have made its still not a great show. A great show is one that a foreign tv show would buy even if the jokes are mainly basic on the country they come from. the jokes should still funny enough to stand on there own. But the jokes on this show are old and there noting fresh about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So mcsavage isnt a very nice person I've never meet anybody in comedy who wasn't full of themselves and wasn't an asshole. Fact of the matter is he just has to be funny to do his job. The show is still very hit and miss but has some good parts.

Jimmy Carr seems like a sound ****er, always meets people after the show, poses for photos/signs autographs etc. and his whole act is him being callous.

amacachi wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr seems like a sound ****er, always meets people after the show, poses for photos/signs autographs etc. and his whole act is him being callous.

possible I never meet the man maybe his a nice guy, but I wouldn't judge somebody on the fact they sign autographs and poses for photos to be a nice guy. Hitler and Mussolini where well know for sign autographs and posing for photos. But you are right I shouldn't make such a wild statement like "everyone in comedy is am asshole" there probable is some nice people in the business. I' am just saying mcsavage being a asshole (calling him a asshole is basic solo on what I have read on board I have never meet the man) does not affect his ability to do his job. I still dont think he is doing a good job his (or they him and the writer) are very hit and miss and are using old jokes and saying its a new insight. RTE should be aiming for better but its the best start they have had.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Not a fan of McSavage but gave the show a chance and didn't like it.

I think his comedy is based around what he thinks Irish people like but (IMO) he misses the mark.

For example, Irish people love to slag each other off - it's the national pass-time. So McSavage creates a street performance that is based around slagging people off. The only problem is there's no wit to it, so it misses the mark. (There's also something to be said for the fact that people don't mind being slagged off by people they know, but not by strangers although usually when the slagging is witty and lacking in vitriol people are usually OK about it.)

With his TV show he's done the same - Irish people are very cynical about things and very self-critical so he creates a TV show that does the same. Only his TV show is witless and at times crude for the sake of it.

I'm convinced he thinks the word 'fúck' is the funniest thing in the world because he tries to throw it in as much as possible, usually in lieu of an actual punchline.

Clearly a lot here do like it - I really don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

possible I never meet the man maybe his a nice guy, but I wouldn't judge somebody on the fact they sign autographs and poses for photos to be a nice guy. Hitler and Mussolini where well know for sign autographs and posing for photos. But you are right I shouldn't make such a wild statement like "everyone in comedy is am asshole" there probable is some nice people in the business. I' am just saying mcsavage being a asshole (calling him a asshole is basic solo on what I have read on board I have never meet the man) does not affect his ability to do his job. I still dont think he is doing a good job his (or they him and the writer) are very hit and miss and are using old jokes and saying its a new insight. RTE should be aiming for better but its the best start they have had.

Wow 254 posts it took for Godwin's law to finally win out.
    Carr seems to possess an ability to be mannerly to people, McSavage seems to lack such an ability, that's what my point was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Wanted to pour bleach in my eyes after 10 minutes. He was never funny in Temple Bar, He tried to take the pee pee out of a junkie one day and the Junkies response was timeless. Sorry mate I thought you where here to make people laugh not be a Winker :D

RTE just rolling out the same tripe as always I garuntee he will feature on the late late to talk about the amazing success of the show at some point

amacachi wrote: »
    Wow 254 posts it took for Godwin's law to finally win out.
    Carr seems to possess an ability to be mannerly to people, McSavage seems to lack such an ability, that's what my point was.

Its a fair point.

as for godwins law I was sure someone else would have done it by now but I got catch damm :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Maybe im missing it...but is he not lampooning Mary McAleese and not Mary Robinson as some people are suggesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Maybe im missing it...but is he not lampooning Mary McAleese and not Mary Robinson as some people are suggesting?

I thought so, but the husband doesn't look right - he looks like the Robinson guy (I think...) I think the idea is that Robinson and McAleese are similar in a lot of ways (hence the "President for Life" title)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leoshiner

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I thought so, but the husband doesn't look right - he looks like the Robinson guy (I think...) I think the idea is that Robinson and McAleese are similar in a lot of ways (hence the "President for Life" title)?

yeah spot on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Finally got to watch the full episode, best bit of home grown comedy on RTE since when the Panel used to be funny. Now imagine a penis which for no reason whatsoever exploded, what you have left is a vagina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'Those sheets are very soft aren't they?'
    'They're aah Egyptian cotton'
    'Are you up early in the mornin?'
    'I'm off tomorrow'
    'Is that your penis in my vagina'
    'Tis yea, it's not in the way or anything is it?'
    'Oh God no'
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 quangoman

I think people are letting their preconceptions about McSavage get in the way here. While he's a bit of a twat busking his stand-up is fairly sharp, as were most of these sketches.

I thought it was the first bit of comedy on RTE with an edge in a long long time.

So much satire in Ireland is of the cuddly 'gift grub' variety, thankfully here's a show with some bite at last.

Very funny, and very well acted too. Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Fantastic show.

Great comedy altogether.

quangoman wrote: »
    I think people are letting their preconceptions about McSavage get in the way here. While he's a bit of a twat busking his stand-up is fairly sharp, as were most of these sketches.

I thought it was the first bit of comedy on RTE with an edge in a long long time.

So much satire in Ireland is of the cuddly 'gift grub' variety, thankfully here's a show with some bite at last.

Very funny, and very well acted too. Keep it up!

You are right people are letting their preconceptions about McSavage get in the way.

But come on most of these jokes are very old and have been around for a long time so I don't know how anyone can say they have a edge. Yes its not cuddly but does not have a bite when they are using jokes that are 10 years old or taken from youtube you cant really call this edgily. Yes some of it is funny and some people can act in it yes it has some good part. but there is too little in this to call it a good show. it is very very average and there is noting new there.

It's great comedy.

The jokes are just fantastic.

How can you not find any of the show funny?

What about the mother telling the girlfriend how to suck her son's cock? Fantastic indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

It's great comedy.

What about the mother telling the girlfriend how to suck her son's cock? Fantastic indeed.

Oh Johny, what would you do if you were restricted to using none vulgar terms? :P

Oh Johny, what would you do if you were restricted to using none vulgar terms? :P

Listen son.

icon1.gif

Back when I was young we could say what we wanted and nobody minded. My father used to encourage me. He'd be there talking about my mother's private parts. Also by spending so much time with Eamon I now realise where I got my filthy mouth from. Bill doesn't allow it in the studio though.

It's great comedy.

Joan Rivers did that jokes 4 or 5 years ago.

I say it has some funny part but I dont think its a good show overall. I think most of the jokes in it are old old old jokes. its not the worst thing RTE have made but its still not good

• Advertisement

Joan Rivers did that jokes 4 or 5 years ago.

I say it has some funny part but I dont think its a good show overall. I think most of the jokes in it are old old old jokes. its not the worst thing RTE have made but its still not good

It is one of the best programs RTÉ have made and the jokes are just absolutely fabulous. :)

Advertisement