Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline 23/11

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

And the union guy spouts the exact rubbish we showed wasn't the case here on Frontline that pay has increased in the private sector that we rubbished here during the week.

Not that I'm surprised that they can't interpret basic stats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Did you like the priest talking about how we need to get back "our" Christian values?

Lock kids up and beat the tar out of them, sack people, cut people's pay, repossess people's homes....
    Bloody fantastic society that's been cultivated here

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Did you like the priest talking about how we need to get back "our" Christian values?

Lock kids up and beat the tar out of them, sack people, cut people's pay, repossess people's homes....
    Bloody fantastic society that's been cultivated here

Of course, we could not cut their pay and then bankrupt the country because like that'd be preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Worst show ever.

On the eve of the largest Public strike in 25 years not one Minister is in sight.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Worst show ever.

On the eve of the largest Public strike in 25 years not one Minister is in sight.

I'm more annoyed by how little coverage the strike got. It really felt like the debate was cut short. The debate on anti-social behaviour was interesting but I felt it could have been left for another night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

nesf wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed by how little coverage the strike got. It really felt like the debate was cut short. The debate on anti-social behaviour was interesting but I felt it could have been left for another night.

I had no interest in it. The reality is it was an issue in 2006. We have far more pressing problems to deal with, and the ASBO issue should have been given the level of deference that the the strike was given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Tbh they are just going around in circles. Pat left a very obvious point slip by tonight- most presenters do. The nurse that can't take any more cuts: the reason that she can't take anymore cuts is because her husband lost his job, not because she isn't well paid.
    I had no interest in it. The reality is it was an issue in 2006.

That's why it has gotten out of control- there is always something else to deal with. It's a cycle, if you think these 'kids' are trouble, wait until you meet their kids in 15 years time.

The Tralee solution is... short sighted to say the least. They are just moving the problem from one estate/town to the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Het-Field wrote: »
    Worst show ever.

That's probably deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I slept through it tonight.

They seem to have moved away from tackling the real issues, to merely giving them lip service and tackling less controversial issues that can be tackled better elsewhere.
    Thereby rendering the whole thing a bit........ pointless.

Not sure why they did that, but the program is quickly losing its appeal.
    Its gone from "Frontline" to "3 lines back, over in some corner in 2002".

I wouldn't be surprised if the government had some input into it tbh.
    Can't have rage on our tv screens, might have riots.
    Shame.

p.s.
    Next week, lets discuss Reserve Gardai, its a pressing issue from 2005.
    Perhaps we should also have a feature about how the economy is overheating? Property/Debt is out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Does anyone really watch this sh*te? Jordan left the jungle & Doctor Bill just fired someone... I don't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dammit not one comment about my star turn :(

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Dammit not one comment about my star turn :(

?

I was in the audience and made a comment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Did I hear the nurse/sister correctly, She took a 7% paycut and was down €450 a month. Couldnt be right!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Atwork wrote: »
    Did I hear the nurse/sister correctly, She took a 7% paycut and was down €450 a month. Couldnt be right!:confused:
    She said she's down €450 a week €450 a month but her husband has lost his job so I take it that his wage must be included in the €450 she's down.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    She said she's down €450 a week but her husband has lost his job so I take it that his wage must be included in the €450 she's down.

Dont think so as she actually corrected herself and said per-month.At least Im pretty sure she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dont think so as she actually corrected herself and said per-month.At least Im pretty sure she did.
    I just rewound it back, yes she did correct herself, €450 a month.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I just rewound it back, yes she did correct herself, €450 a month.

It really caught my attention as it was a huge drop, but then again if this only accounts for 7%. Huge salary imo.

Cool - any chane of a hint? I din't see it, but I'll watch it on the playback thingey.

Damn I missed it! All I saw was yourself looking pensive and thoughtful at one point. Was running in and out to the kid though so didn't get to give it my full attention.

That's €450 after tax, so it's closer to 700ish pre tax or thereabouts if she didn't make a mistake.

Let's say for simplicity that 450 euro is 7% of her monthly gross salary she's bringing in €6,428 a month. Or 77K a year. I'm sorry but really that's not a salary that can't take another cut. If it's 7% of her net salary then the girl is on well over 100K a year. So, eh, I think she made a mistake in that the levy is 450 euro gross pay before tax but will work out to only 270 euro out of take home pay.

• Advertisement

Cool - any chane of a hint? I din't see it, but I'll watch it on the playback thingey.

LOL I was the guy who accused the union leaders of high treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

times (i really dont want to watch the whole program :D )
    channel surfed to 2 mins of it last night quickly turned off

times (i really dont want to watch the whole program :D )
    channel surfed to 2 mins of it last night quickly turned off

A little over 17 minutes into the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

That's €450 after tax, so it's closer to 700ish pre tax or thereabouts if she didn't make a mistake.

Let's say for simplicity that 450 euro is 7% of her monthly gross salary she's bringing in €6,428 a month. Or 77K a year. I'm sorry but really that's not a salary that can't take another cut. If it's 7% of her net salary then the girl is on well over 100K a year. So, eh, I think she made a mistake in that the levy is 450 euro gross pay before tax but will work out to only 270 euro out of take home pay.

i worked it out roughly like that last night. It has to be gross, in order to be pulling close to 80k she'd need to be running the fricking hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

best comment of the night I thought. Amongst all those union people living in fantasy land that was the only moment of reality in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

She could of been including the other tax increases over the last 12 months, people usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

You were savagely cut short by Pat Kenny; Just a small sign of the cuts coming ahead in 2 weeks time

Also thought Kenny was VERY anti Garda last night and pro the other frontline services. Prob just my blue tinted glasses tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

My sister in law is down €450 a month because of the PS levy. I know for a fact that she is on at least €70k, most likely €80k. So we can deduce that our nurse is on similar money. That's puts some perspective on it. She is on decent money. I would also add that my sis in law's husband is also unemployed being a building worker. She is far from the breadline as she admits herself. She is realistic about the cuts by the way.

I have to say that the biggest PS whingers I've come across are those likely to be least affected and on decent money. I know a married couple in, what I call handy little jobs, more like their hobby. The have no kids and a reasonable mortgage. Yet you'd think the goverment was about to shoot them.

gerire wrote: »
    You were savagely cut short by Pat Kenny; Just a small sign of the cuts coming ahead in 2 weeks time

Didn't feel that way to be honest, I know the floor manager was having a canary to get Pat moving along as they had only allocated a small amount of time to that segment. Very interesting to see behind the scenes of a program of that type.
    Also thought Kenny was VERY anti Garda last night and pro the other frontline services. Prob just my blue tinted glasses tho

I think it is your blue tinted glasses tbh, I don't feel he was unfair the only thing I would say is it would have been nice to have an actual Garda spokesman there to put their side across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 celestialteapot

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

p.s.
    Next week, lets discuss Reserve Gardai, its a pressing issue from 2005.
    Perhaps we should also have a feature about how the economy is overheating? Property/Debt is out of control.

hehe :)

Anyone up for starting a bring back Q&A campaign?

Advertisement