Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow lights..

Options
  • 24-11-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi..
    Can anyone tell me is there a difference between the sodium lights used to light up the outside of houses and those used for growing indoors..
    I have loads of attic space and was thinking of starting some seeds there with artifical light, there are velux windows but was thinking of suplimenting them with more light..
    Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Sodium streetlights emit light at a similar wavelength to that of sodium lamps for indoor grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

and what sort of seeds would you be growing up in the attic huh? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sodium oxide or metal halide will both work to grow whatever you want to grow...
    You might have to make a reflector as most of the security lights have a waterproof case and glass face that is designed to stop water ingress not maximise light output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SalmoTheLeaper

Hi bbam,

You definitely need extra artificial light if you're looking to start seedllings indoors, especially at this time of year!!

I tried these last year, after plenty of searching they seemed to be the best value kit out there for what i wanted.

http://www.nlites.co.uk/growgood/eco-light.htm

Just used them sitting directly on the plant propagator lids, with a vivarium heat mat under the pots! The system worked great, got plenty of good strong chilli & tomato plants a lot earlier than if i'd waited for springtime. I'm actuallly thinking of setting it up again this weekend to get some herbs growing, i've an empty fish tank that i might use instead of the propagators.

Best of luck

PS. just noticed that most of the lights are out of stock on that page! If you can find them again, i'd recommend them.
    -It was the 144w All Season EcoSlimLine Set (4 x White + 4 x Red + 2 x PURple) that i got by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

and what sort of seeds would you be growing up in the attic huh? :p

Suspicous mind you have there...
    I thought I'd have my poly tunnel up and running for this spring but didn't... May as well use my space available and get some flowers started...

I have an un-used sodium lamp lying round so I might give it a go...

• Advertisement
Advertisement