Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PC Racing/sim games have you got and how would you rate them?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,I am interested in the PC racing or Sim games members have and how they rate them--I'll start.
    NFS hot pursuit 2(My first racing game)--Still love it.
    NFS Carbon--Good fun -storyline is a bit silly but I still like it.
    NFS Most Wanted--In my opinion the best NFS game.
    NFS Pro Street--makes a good Frisbee for the dog .
    NFS Underground 1+2--I like them both--simple racing with a bit of fun.
    NFS Undercover--Too much like most Wanted with a silly storyline,races too easy.
    GTR2--One word --Awesome.
    Flatout 1+2 --Great fun when u want something different.(Usually end up biting my lip lol)
    Dirt--Good game Fairly hard (For Me anyway)
    Grid--Good game ,similar in structure to Dirt.
    Gt Legends--Amazing game ,love it.
    Race 07 --Good but car handling is iffy.
    GTR Evolution-it has the Nurburgring Nordschleife--no more needed to be said.
    STCC Expansion--fun short tracks but at 20 euro I paid WAY too much.
    LFS--The best in my opinion.
    Sega Rally--again Frisbee for the dog .
    Juiced 2--Ditto to Sega Rally. TOCA 2+3 Fantastic games but for some reason they wont work with my momo wheel anymore.
    Test Drive unlimited--Personally I don't like it .
    F1 Extreme--good game old but still up there.
    Volvo The game --good for a free game.
    Ferrari virtual Racing--also good for free game.
    Overspeed--In my opinion a dog of a game--hate it.
    BMW M3 challenge--again a good game for a freebie.
    ESR--Fun Arcade style game.
    Evolution GT--intro takes forever and I don't like the game play.
    Midnight Club2--Best of the Arcade style games-good fun online too.
    Moto GP 07+08 --good games but they kill my eyes .
    Moto GP URT 3 -Best of the bike games.
    Harley Davidson race to the rally--Fast paced excellent game.
    Race The WTCC Game --Best of the series especially with caterhham expansion.
    Ford Racing 3--good enough game -gets very difficult about half way through.
    Nascar sim Racing--I just cannot get the hang of it ,I speed around flat out and still get lapped by all the cars in the game.

I got a lot of these cheap online and a couple as presents--Hopefully the good wife will get NFS shift or F1 2009 from santy for me :):)

BTW I use a momo for most games and a saitek rumble pad for games that wont work with the wheel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

katana1 wrote: »
    LFS--The best in my opinion.

Yup, I've been pretty much hooked for 3 years.

New patch with new tyre physics + VW Scirroco should be coming out very soon, I can't wait :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LFS is a fine sim but iracing leaves everything else in its wake imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'm an iRacing convert too, it's ..... dare I say, as good as GPL. If you really are a PC racing sim nut, it's $75 for a year's subscription at the moment, only a few days left on that offer. Play with the rookie cars, get a D license, buy the Skip Barber single seater and a few add-on tracks, you're sorted for a year of fun and nearly mostly all clean online driving.

Or if your like me subscribe, have an absolute blast, buy a fortunes worth of content to race lots of other series since your enjoying it so much then realise your dodgy leg cant hack the longer races as you increase your grade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Dcully wrote: »
    LFS is a fine sim but iracing leaves everything else in its wake imo.

Hi,I haven't heard of iracing but I am going to try and find it today--I love LFS and I am an admin on 3 racing servers (Belonging to same team)but I haven't been on much lately--I used to spent most of my time online having to watch for messy racers and didn't get much time on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'm an iRacing convert too, it's ..... dare I say, as good as GPL. If you really are a PC racing sim nut, it's $75 for a year's subscription at the moment, only a few days left on that offer. Play with the rookie cars, get a D license, buy the Skip Barber single seater and a few add-on tracks, you're sorted for a year of fun and nearly mostly all clean online driving.

Where have you seen this offer? Closest I can find is the 2 year deal which works out at $89.50/year.
    Or did you mean euro?

Where have you seen this offer? Closest I can find is the 2 year deal which works out at $89.50/year.
    Or did you mean euro?
    Having checked iracing out -on their site and watching YouTube vids' it looks awesome --especially some us tracks that I like ,just a question--Is there a demo to download before you commit to paying and if so where would be the best place to get it from ?

katana1 wrote: »
    Having checked iracing out -on their site and watching YouTube vids' it looks awesome --especially some us tracks that I like ,just a question--Is there a demo to download before you commit to paying and if so where would be the best place to get it from ?

Yea I had a subscription for a while. Its decent. No demo avail that Im aware of. Theres no way im paying full rate if theres deals going though. Looks like I might have to setup a new account.

Found the $75/year deal:- http://twitter.com/iRacing

It looks like a TODAY ONLY "black friday" deal

I will have to wait until after x-mas -get the kids presents out of the way and I'm just after renewing my RS acc' for a year--But it's something I really want to try.
    On another note I haven't been on LFS for a while but I got an email saying that they are after upgrading with a new patch --it's a one off pay too which is why I like it so much,,,,plus I've met some really sound people from UK ,Germany even Australia.AKM Racing is where I am based,nice people but very strict with messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Just re-newed, it added a year onto my next renewal date, so I'm good on iRacing till 19 Dec 2010 now, all for €50 at the current exchange rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@katana1 some list of racing games there! I have most of those sim-oriented games but recently bought NFS:Shift which is really good fun with some mods installed. I started PC racing back in 1992 with Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix series and bought all of them from there. The last installment (GP4) is still pretty good after it has been brought up to date with the multitude of mods that are available for it. I haven't tried iRacing yet, I just don't think I could commit the time to it.

Darwin wrote: »
    @katana1 some list of racing games there! I have most of those sim-oriented games but recently bought NFS:Shift which is really good fun with some mods installed. I started PC racing back in 1992 with Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix series and bought all of them from there. The last installment (GP4) is still pretty good after it has been brought up to date with the multitude of mods that are available for it. I haven't tried iRacing yet, I just don't think I could commit the time to it.

That is one thing that I regret --That I dint get a PC sooner,I have a PC for three years and I am hooked.I was into motorbikes which left me with injuries in spine (Hit & run Driver).So as I am now unable to work I use the PC as an outlet.
    Online racing takes up a huge chunk of time if you want to be competitive --I did thousands of laps on LFS and I am still outside the top 100.(Was about 130 last time I checked)
    I like some of the games for fun--midnight club/NFS carbon.
    Some are more sim orientated--GTR evolution, etc,.
    I tried the demo for shift and had problems with the graphics and I am a bit cautious about buying it .
    My PC should handle it --spec-Windows xp pro'
    4GB Ram,
    1 TB hard drive ,
    Asus striker xtreme mother board,
    nvidia 9800 gtx graphics card[512 mb]
    Corsair 650w psu,
    Intel duo 2.8 Ghz cpu.
    Toshiba DL Disc Drive,
    I have no problems with other games --Dirt -Grid but maybe the complete disc version of shift may be ok.
    I had an Acer PC but it was a bit slow so with online help from a forum I use I built this one myself.
    It's great to see that other people love the racing games as most people that I know are into FPS games .Is GP4 the official name of that game? As you are racing so long and like this --it must be a good one and I'd like to see if I could get a hold of it.
    MANY THANKS for all replies as its great to hear from other Racing enthusiasts :)

Just resubbed for a year, the black Friday offer is just imense.
    4 euro or so per month is top value.
    Ive got a mountain of content unused [almost 300 euro worth] waiting for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Half-sorry I didn't go for that black Friday offer having watched some footage of iRacing, it really looks the business.
    @katana1 Grand Prix 4 is the official title of the game, here's some youtube footage with a 2009 mod installed.
    I suppose more modern sims such as rFactor have surpassed it now, but in its day it was nothing to touch it and that fact the mods are still being made for it speaks for itself! Don't give up on NFS Shift as there is a patch coming very soon which is supposed to sort out a lot of the problems.

Darwin wrote: »
    Half-sorry I didn't go for that black Friday offer having watched some footage of iRacing, it really looks the business.
    @katana1 Grand Prix 4 is the official title of the game, here's some youtube footage with a 2009 mod installed.
    I suppose more modern sims such as rFactor have surpassed it now, but in its day it was nothing to touch it and that fact the mods are still being made for it speaks for itself! Don't give up on NFS Shift as there is a patch coming very soon which is supposed to sort out a lot of the problems.

Many Thanks for the link, Also if i could get shift to run it would be great --as i have most of the others -Its getting fairly cheap to buy so I will get them both hopefully after x-mas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not hugely into racing sims but the LFS demo is damned good. Setting up a FWD car for neutral handling is interesting. I'll give iRacing a go sometime but prefer flight sims at the moment.

Hi confab,
    my buddy gave me a wingman attack 2 controller,
    which would be a good entry sim game for a first timer?

EDIT: I came across some freebie games--They wont rock your world bet there not bad.
    I got these from gamershell.
    Speedracing2 and Renault truck racing.
    They are a bit of fun and graphics are fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MadMa84

i dnt got many racing games for pc but i gotta say d ONE racing game ive spent most of the lst 10 months playin is great crack,
    TRACKMANIA, simple game but v addictive, prob my fav game ever,
    other thatn that got nfs shift which is good, and all my other racing games are for ps3 an dnt use it much anymore

Advertisement