Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 mobile - 170 disconnection charge

Options
  • 24-11-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

this seems like blackmail to me, to stay with the same company even if you aren't happy with the service.

Is this really allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

You mean from billpay. Well i suppose seeing as you are on contract they are entitled to a fee to break the contract but i wouldnt know much about that.

On that subject I agree that 3 has bad service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I find it hard to believe that any company could put a 'disconnection charge' into their contract. Imagine if we all had to pay ESB E200 for the privilige of changing over to Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

this seems like blackmail to me, to stay with the same company even if you aren't happy with the service.

Is this really allowed?

Do you have several months left on your contract? Sounds like they're charging you for the remainder of it, which is fair enough if you're moving before the end of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yeh blackmail in a way. It annoys me that they put you in a situation where you want to leave but you will make a loss doing so.

Cian A wrote: »
    Yeh blackmail in a way. It annoys me that they put you in a situation where you want to leave but you will make a loss doing so.

How is it blackmail? :rolleyes:
    The OP agreed to a 12/18/24 month contract and agreed to their charges.

If you don't like being "locked into" a contract, go on pay as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like a buyout for terminating a contract early. All perfectly legal and acceptable. You agree to a contract, now you change your mind. Not Three's fault. Unless there are technical problems that means they're not holding their end of the deal, you either pay out, or stay put.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Do you have several months left on your contract? Sounds like they're charging you for the remainder of it, which is fair enough if you're moving before the end of your contract.

No, I've been with them 2 years, maybe a few months more. I don't remember anything like this being mentioned at the time I took out the 'pay monthly' option. AFAIK, it was an open-ended contract - like you'd take out with the ESB. (But the ESB don't charge you so you can change to Bord Gais)

the reason I want out is that the mobile device no longer works. They won't give me a replacement, they just say that if I send it in, they'll try to fix it. But I need it for work and I'll not have it for 1 - 2 weeks while they look at it. I'm self-employed.

No, I've been with them 2 years, maybe a few months more.

Ah that's different. Did they say what the fee was for? Are you supposed to give 3 months notice or something ridiculous like that?

No, they just said it's a disconnection fee. If I don't pay, they'll put it in the hands of debt collectors. TBH, the guy in accounts seemed sympathetic and could only parrot the "you'll have to pay 170, we're within our rights" while at the same time admitting it's a significant sum.

Why would they make me give 3 months notice when the device doesn't even work on their computer??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eth0_ wrote: »
    Are you supposed to give 3 months notice or something ridiculous like that?

Once your out of a contract you can leave without penalty once you give 30 days notice.

Op did you enter another contract after the 2 year was up?

• Advertisement

I signed only one contract at the time it started.

How can I carry on paying 20 per month for a thing that doesn't even work???? Then they get 60 for nothing instead of 170 to get out now.

sorry misread 30 days as 3 months, which means I'm tired.

But yous can see why it seems like blackmail, that you can't choose....nobody in 3 said I could just give 30 days notice, pay another 20 and I'm out even if I have no service ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did you get an upgraded phone at any stage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Three are just crooks

when they say all that legal crap its just that, crap

they have no legal presence in Ireland.

anyone who pays 100E + to leave them is nuts.

just don't pay them at all and leave them post them legal letters to you and just burn them when they arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Three are just crooks

when they say all that legal crap its just that, crap

they have no legal presence in Ireland.

anyone who pays 100E + to leave them is nuts.

just don't pay them at all and leave them post them legal letters to you and just burn them when they arrive.

Yeah, ignoring it will make it go away :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

the reason I want out is that the mobile device no longer works. They won't give me a replacement, they just say that if I send it in, they'll try to fix it. But I need it for work and I'll not have it for 1 - 2 weeks while they look at it. I'm self-employed.

If it doesn't work, what's the problem with sending it for repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

When did you last get a new phone from them?

By accepting a subsidised phone, you are agreeing to a new 1-year contract

If you have not been given a new phone within the last year, then you are out of contract and are only liable to pay them for the one month notice period.

The 3 staff in their Indian call centres are poorly trained in customer service, but seem to be very well trained in bullying and harrassment

If you sure that you are out of contract, inform them of this and that you will be taking legal action if they do not allow you to leave without paying for more than 1-month.

I have been with Three for over 3 years and haven't had a problem with them, but I have heard some terrible stories about their customer service.

My friend had major problems with their UK operation, of which the ROI company is a subsidary.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I find it hard to believe that any company could put a 'disconnection charge' into their contract. Imagine if we all had to pay ESB E200 for the privilige of changing over to Bord Gais.

Yes imagine if UPC, Eircom Broadband, Vodafone, O2, Imagine, Smart, Digiweb etc (basically any bill pay mobile or broadband supplier) all charged you for ending your contract early.....:rolleyes:

Don't join a contract if your not prepared to see it through,

You can compare the ESB to Three all you want but they are nothing alike so its a failed comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

No, I've been with them 2 years, maybe a few months more. I don't remember anything like this being mentioned at the time I took out the 'pay monthly' option. AFAIK, it was an open-ended contract - like you'd take out with the ESB. (But the ESB don't charge you so you can change to Bord Gais)

If you bring the phone into a 3 store & get them to send it off for repair they will give you a 'loan phone' to use in the meantime, though maybe this is just for customers currently in a contract, but you could go in & ask.

If you are out of contract all you have to do is give one months notice. The chances are if you rang again & spoke to a different agent they would confirm this.

Why don't you opt for an upgrade? - I know that their choice of phones isn't all that exciting & by upgrading you would be committing to a further 12 months contract, it would be a new phone either free or very cheap. If you upgrade online it seems to be €10 cheaper if you order a phone that isn't free, & if you order before 4pm the phone is delivered the following day.

I finished my contract in June & didn't opt for an upgrade at the time as they didn't have the phone that I wanted, but recently rang to see if they now offered it - was told they didn't but as a goodwill gesture they gave me two months free line rental - no strings attached - no new contract & am still entitled to an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

OP, there is a difference between your 3 mobile phone contract & your 3 mobile broadband contract.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it might be the case that you are confusing the two, if this thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=964621&posted=1#post964621 is anything to go by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Stop dealing with that pack of crooks by phone , you get some babbling script monkey in bombay who is trained to threaten you with numbers .

There is a formal procedure , not that the OP bothered their holes telling us what contract they have exactly so READ THIS OP before you ask for more advice and show some signs that you understand it first .

• Advertisement

If it doesn't work, what's the problem with sending it for repair?

As far as we are aware from what the OP has told us, he is out of his contract period and thus free to terminate it at any time. Why should he be bullied into getting the phone repaired and staying on the 3 network?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, if you accepted an upgrade phone, or even changed your package, you may be in contract.

Ask the customer service representative to provide you with details and/or basis for this disconnection fee. The first step in fixing this is to understand where it's coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You have a fault with your phone, you should get it repaired, some shops will give you a lend phone but may require a deposit or rental fee. If your dependent on your phone you should really have a spare phone with all your information backed up. Seen as your in contract 3 give you a free upgrade after your first 10mts in contract and every 12mts after that.

They are charging you for getting out of contract as you don't have a genuine network problem, you have a hardware problem and need to get it resolved, the onus is on you to sort it out.

seriously get yourself a spare phone, you can't afford not to have one if your self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I signed only one contract at the time it started.

How can I carry on paying 20 per month for a thing that doesn't even work???? Then they get 60 for nothing instead of 170 to get out now.

sorry misread 30 days as 3 months, which means I'm tired.

But yous can see why it seems like blackmail, that you can't choose....nobody in 3 said I could just give 30 days notice, pay another 20 and I'm out even if I have no service ..........

Why don't you just give them the 30 days notice and pay them the 20 (assuming you haven't upgraded your phone or are somehow else tied into a longer contract)

MOH wrote: »
    (assuming you haven't upgraded your phone or are somehow else tied into a longer contract)

It's NOT a phone! It's mobile broadband - the thing you plug into your laptop and can get b/band wherever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It's NOT a phone! It's mobile broadband - the thing you plug into your laptop and can get b/band wherever you are.

Why the hell didn't you say that in your opening post. Threes T & Cs for broadband are completely different than those for a mobile phone service, which is what most posters who replied to you understood you had problems with :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

25 posts, and not a mention that you were talking about 'mobile broadband'. The thread titles says '3 mobile' :rolleyes:

I think you make thinks harder for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Modem is the same as a phone your entitled to an upgrade after 10mts in your first year and every 12mts after that, go into a store and upgrade your modem if your happy with the service until it broke down...

Now if you took some offer of 2 free months rental or something like that you've probably done away with your upgrade for this year, you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a pay as you go modem, they start at €49..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.three.ie/company/pmterms-conditions.htm
    General section, part 5
    5. Cancellation fee: Pay monthly customers only – there is no cancellation fee if you wish to cancel after your Minimum Term has finished. All reference to Ireland means Republic of Ireland

Either they made a mistake, in which case quote this to them, or you accepted another contract somewhere along the way. This could have been a simple phone call where they offered a new price, or extended data allowance, or they gave you a new modem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I see he still hasn't read the link I provided him with so pay that €170 stupidity tax OP .

Advertisement