Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debrecen v Liverpool (Act two of a three act play)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lets not kick liverpool when there down

I didnt watch the match myself so cant comment, but liverpool will be losing out on alot of money but all CL teams budget for stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

flahavaj wrote: »
    I don't. They've been truly awful in their games. Why feel sorry for a bunch when they've been so bad their season is over after 3 months?

It's not all their fault though. True, several of them have been sub-par but poor decision making at the top makes it even harder for the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that performance was atrocious.

as has this entire season so far.

only torres and benny missing from a full strength XI, unless you include aquilani who still won't be let off the bench.

pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Headshot wrote: »

I didnt watch the match myself so cant comment, but liverpool will be losing out on alot of money

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Based on the way this season has gone, I'd much fancy our chances in the Europa League than in the second stages of the Champions League. At this stage, with the way things are gone, I'm not ashamed to admit I'd be relatively delighted if Liverpool won the damn thing now having been dropped down into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I didnt watch the match myself so cant comment, but liverpool will be losing out on alot of money

i'm sure the liverpool fans were saying the same in 2006!

I think someone has hacked into Headshots account !

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think someone has hacked into Headshots account !

im just in good mood mate :)

edit

god help ye on another night thou :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can't believe you've played so badly and your only 5 points from 4th tbh

SlickRic wrote: »
    that performance was atrocious.

as has this entire season so far.

only torres and benny missing from a full strength XI, unless you include aquilani who still won't be let off the bench.

pathetic.

Kuyt and Insua have been very disappointing this season. As Aurelio is now fit I'd slot him in @ LB for the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Brutal performance, Aquilani brought on in the 91st minute? Yeah fair play Rafa you got his shirt wet, fncksake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Im gutted, but its what we deserve for the way we played in the CL this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm still hopeful for an all British semi-final:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what way to pool fans reckon rafa will look at the europa?

reserve teams all the way and try to focus on qualifying for the champions leauge through the premiership, or go all out to try and win it?

• Advertisement

I did see the bit at the end where the liverpool players were watching

thought was very cool, dont think ive seen anything like that before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

things not going well for liverpool at all this season..
    punched a lot above our weight last season...needed every player fit this season to even think about mounting a title challenge.

too many negative and non skillful players.. Kuyt (having a shocker this season), Insua, Masch and Lucas. always passing the ball back...

don't know what Rafa was @ tonight...should have went out and tried to steam roll them..... lucas and Masch should not start another game together unless we playin tough opposition... Masch and Benny would have been fine....heck i'd even throw Agger in there in the middle....

couple of positives were N'Gog and Gerrard playing a good portion of the match... we may pull all stops in the league to get 4th place...or we foooked in the transfer market in the coming years.... (in fact I can see Torres and Reina and Masch leaving in the summer if we don't secure 4th and some investment).....

gutted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Helix wrote: »

reserve teams all the way and try to focus on qualifying for the champions leauge through the premiership, or go all out to try and win it?

He would probably be under more pressure to secure a top 4 spot in the league. Most Liverpool fans probably realise that losing that top 4 spot could be very serious for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

spockety wrote: »
    At this stage, with the way things are gone, I'm not ashamed to admit I'd be relatively delighted if Liverpool won the damn thing now having been dropped down into it.

liverpool won't win or get close to winning the uefa cup (i refuse to call it the other name :p), roma, bayern, benfica will all beat them, i would put money on everton or fulham knocking them out seeing how bad they are playing atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Helix wrote: »

I'd say a lot will depend on if things pick up in the league. If Liverpool are in a dogfight for 4th then it'll be kids all the way.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Kuyt and Insua have been very disappointing this season. As Aurelio is now fit I'd slot him in @ LB for the derby.

Aurelio is questionable defensively also, so it's not much of a difference in my opinion.

On a side note, how poor was that pitch tonight, almost as bad as some of the football on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Will be hard to attract players in January, and I think they will have a battle for 4th spot, this could hit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are Liverpool out because they're behind by 4 points or because of a massive goal difference?

I'm not sure. I think Rafa may look upon the UEFA as Liverpool's best chance of silverware, and might feel he owes it to the fans to go out and try and win it.

I would say he may genuinely think that Liverpool should not be too concerned about not getting 4th, as he may (rightly or wrongly) feel that as the squad all start coming back fit, Liverpool will settle into their top 4 berth nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Anyone else quite excited about the Europa League? (considering the disappointment was done and dusted a fortnight ago). Be something different anyway.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Will be hard to attract players in January, and I think they will have a battle for 4th spot, this could hit them.

This will have no impact on Liverpool's attraction in January. Top players will already be Champions League cup tied, so in moving to Liverpool they will have been sacrificing CL footie for the remainder of the season.

It's all academic anyway, Liverpool are broke, and the 1 or 2 million that Rafa will be given to spend will go on a player who would give his right arm to play for a club like Liverpool, having been bought from a bottom half of the table side in England, Italy, or Spain.

I'm not sure. I think Rafa may look upon the UEFA as Liverpool's best chance of silverware, and might feel he owes it to the fans to go out and try and win it.

I would say he may genuinely think that Liverpool should not be too concerned about not getting 4th, as he may (rightly or wrongly) feel that as the squad all start coming back fit, Liverpool will settle into their top 4 berth nicely.
    What if the squad is never fully fit? what does he do then first on his list tho in jan is a pacey left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I' I think Rafa may look upon the UEFA as Liverpool's best chance of silverware, and might feel he owes it to the fans to go out and try and win it.

Are you high? :eek: If after five years you still think he gives a damn what anyone else thinks outside the owners than I don't know what to say to you.

Top four has got to be a priority. Losing the champions league money next season would be truly catastrophic...and I'm sure the americans will let him know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

This will have no impact on Liverpool's attraction in January. Top players will already be Champions League cup tied, so in moving to Liverpool they will have been sacrificing CL footie for the remainder of the season.

It's all academic anyway, Liverpool are broke, and the 1 or 2 million that Rafa will be given to spend will go on a player who would give his right arm to play for a club like Liverpool, having been bought from a bottom half of the table side in England, Italy, or Spain.

Tough times for them then, especially if the miss out on a top four spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Anyone else quite excited about the Europa League? (considering the disappointment was done and dusted a fortnight ago). Be something different anyway.

No

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    things not going well for liverpool at all this season..
    punched a lot above our weight last season...needed every player fit this season to even think about mounting a title challenge.

too many negative and non skillful players.. Kuyt (having a shocker this season), Insua, Masch and Lucas. always passing the ball back...

don't know what Rafa was @ tonight...should have went out and tried to steam roll them..... lucas and Masch should not start another game together unless we playin tough opposition... Masch and Benny would have been fine....heck i'd even throw Agger in there in the middle....

couple of positives were N'Gog and Gerrard playing a good portion of the match... we may pull all stops in the league to get 4th place...or we foooked in the transfer market in the coming years.... (in fact I can see Torres and Reina and Masch leaving in the summer if we don't secure 4th and some investment).....

gutted!

I've been hearing this sh1te a lot lately, because we've been playing well below par this season all of a sudden we were punching above our weight last season? :rolleyes:

Are Liverpool out because they're behind by 4 points or because of a massive goal difference?

Ha?

= Very Foolish and ticket to P45

Theres 3 points left to play for.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

If they do lose out on fourth spot it could mean the end of end of Liverpool being a heavy weight. Man City are going to be a force to be reckoned with and Arsenal are on the up and up too. I'm still not too worried though. At least not being in any major cup we will focus on getting a good run in the league. I expect a strong finish to the season.

There out because if liverpool win and lyon lose it goes to a head to head which lyon won by grabbing 4 points off liverpool and liverpool only got 1 off lyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good move by Rafa to cup tie Aquilani for January. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

After the Everton game at the weekend, Liverpool have the following fixtures

Blackburn (a)
    Fiorentina (h) - dead rubber - expect to see reserves/youngsters in this
    Arsenal (h)
    Wigan (h)
    Portsmouth (a)
    Wolves (h)
    Villa (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Stoke (a)
    Wolves (a)
    Bolton (h)
    Everton (h)
    Arsenal (a)

All of these league games will take place before the first UEFA Cup game takes place.

That's another 1/3 of the season and fingers crossed Liverpool will be in a much stronger position in the league, before Europe enters into the equation,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Your kidding right? I'd rather we where out of Europe altogether

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

They're out because they switched off in last game. Depressing not to be even pushing for a place with a game to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Bandit12 wrote: »
    The same as Aston Villa, last season, justed wanted to get out off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Bandit12 wrote: »

+1. Reserve squad for Europa all the way.

It's probably worth reminding, given this is the match thread, that Liverpool actually did the job tonight and went to a miserable Budapest and took all three points as was required of them....

;)

Rafa says he's 100% sure we will finish in top 4. No pressure then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

would it be easy to get tickets to the final of the europa league? thats if we make it of course..

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Good move by Rafa to cup tie Aquilani for January. ;)

Yeah considering that was our last game in the champions league this season, ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

It's probably worth reminding, given this is the match thread, that Liverpool actually did the job tonight and went to a miserable Budapest and took all three points as was required of them....

;)

Lets not forget Debrecen had a great chance to level it up after more shocking Liverpool defending in the dying minutes.....

;)

Worst game of football I've seen in a long time.

I feel bad for Aquilani. I mean if your ever going to play the guy that was the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm nipping this in the bud before it gets started. This thread is for discussing the match, if you want to talk about other elements there are threads to do so. If you want to try and get a rise out of supporters here then you'll be infracted and banned, lets try and have at least one thread were everyone holds to the higher ground for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yeah considering that was our last game in the champions league this season, ;).

I meant him leaving in January for a team playing in the Champions League. ;)

But obviously it was a joke. :)

Lisandro had a great chance in the last minute! What would Pool have to have done against Fiorentina if Lyon got a draw? how much would they have to have won by?

Johner wrote: »
    Spurs might? Anyway Liverpool should finish top 4 if Torres stays injury free.
    Torres is definetly your number 1 player, but what happens if he doesn't fully recover this season?
    He was really missed today liverpool looked so blunt and there goal was even a bit lucky tbh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement