Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Unplanned Tabbing Out

• 24-11-2009 1:02am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, I'm at my wits end.
    First of all this started happening over the last 2-3 days - The only programs I remember installing are the latest AVGFree 9.0 and thats about it bar some FireFox Plugins.

I've done a full Virus, Spyware and Adaware search and been given the all-clear, also done a registery check via CC Cleaner and the only thing I've not done yet is search via HiJackThis.

The problem?

Beit browsing or gaming, the computer seems to randomly 'Tab Out' of whatever window is active at the time at random intervals, generally every 5-30mins or so. If I'm browsing (full screen) then the window suddenly greys out at the top, as if it's been sent to the back, much like how it would if you clicked the Desktop or another Window (and this happens even if there ARE no other windows open).

It just happened now, once again, mid-game of SF4 where for absolutely no reason mid-match, it tabbed me out.

I have no sticky-key settings or other things bound to keys that would do this and it can happen regardless of mouse or keyboard activity.

It's such a minor problem (such as deactivating my window when typing a message on Boards, meaning I have to re-click the window to continue typing) but if it happens at a wrong time it can be infuriating, such as tabbing me out in matches or games for no reason.

I can't see it being anything I've installed and I deactivated certain plugins in FireFox that I suspected could be responsible, but now that it also happened In-Game I'm certain it's not a browser problem and more a general problem.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any tips they can think of or steps to take that may cure such a nieussance.

I was about to uninstall FireFox entirely but as said, now that it doesn't seem to be restricted to web browsers and can happen at anytime regardless of whats open, I figure it must be something else.

All responses welcome and appreciative - Also, hope this is in the right Forum - Never had to pop by here before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Its trying to install/run/do something, you need to identify that.

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager and see if there are any faults

Go to the system logs to see what happening there, Start -> Right click on My Computer and go to 'Manage' -> Go to 'Event Viewer' and look for errors

Monitor the task manager at the time, go to the processes tab, then 'View' and 'Select Columns' and tick the 'Virtual Memory Size' checkbox and click ok, arrange by that column.

Are you getting any errors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is this happening on a laptop or PC?
    Also what Operating system are you using?

Ive seen a lot of posts on the web such as this one, but few have any real solution, one fix was a windows update, another was an issue with interference causing an issue with a wireless mouse/keyboard but most like the link below had no real solution that was consistent across a few of them
    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/36083-windows-minimize-their-own.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,221 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nothing wrong with AVG until somethings wrong with AVG, and thats happened to me a lot over the years. Done with it, my free alternative is Avast. And I hear Microsoft Security Essentials is a free winner too.

I was also going to suggest you check the back of your PC for foreign objects, as it wouldnt be the first USB prank I thought about buying off of thinkgeek.

Overheal wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with AVG until somethings wrong with AVG, and thats happened to me a lot over the years. Done with it, my free alternative is Avast. And I hear Microsoft Security Essentials is a free winner too.

I was also going to suggest you check the back of your PC for foreign objects, as it wouldnt be the first USB prank I thought about buying off of thinkgeek.

AVG was generally pretty good, I must say but I did go off it from version 8 and up. Been using Avira since and lately, due to overly good reviews I have been trying the microsoft one, as you mention, which I am liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,221 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When that linkscanner started acting the tit and made browsing a hair splitting experience, thats when i was done with the PoS.

Overheal wrote: »
    When that linkscanner started acting the tit and made browsing a hair splitting experience, thats when i was done with the PoS.

I think that was the turning point for me too, I think it was around version 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Yeah this happened to me after i upgraded AVG last week, right pain it was especially when gaming!

I actually moved from Avast because i had installed it on a few lappy's and got BSOD when rebooting it. Very odd!

Back to Avast now though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Long time user of AVG. But AVG 9 leave temp files on all your drives. Pet hate of mine. Other than that I had no problems. I didn't install the link scanner though.

Advertisement