Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure about potential housemate

Options
  • 24-11-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Bit of weird one.

My parents have an apartment there willing to rent to me. The plan is to share it with a friend of mine which is looking for a place aswell.

We get on pretty well but he can be very stubborn with me and get the feeling if I did move in with him he'd be very pushy and he'd just always try to have his way.

Added to that the place is family owned and there wouldn't be the typical landlord and tenant relationship. It would be more like he's my tenant, as id be looking after everything.

Anyone got any experience they would like to add.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hiddenuser wrote: »
    We get on pretty well but he can be very stubborn with me and get the feeling if I did move in with him he'd be very pushy and he'd just always try to have his way.
    If you think he'll be pushy, get someone else. If he becomes an ass over it, you'll know what you missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

It's an apartment - which means you'll be in each others faces all the time.

My advice is move on your own for a month or two.

Get to know the feel of the place, the building and the area.

Then carefully choose the type of person you want to share YOUR place with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

When in doubt - gtfo.

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd echo what has been said above- if in doubt, don't even dream of sharing with him........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Flat shares with friends are not a good idea unless you are close friends and already spendlots of time together. Sharing a flat with someone is like being in a relationship with that person (albeit without the fun stuff ;) ) so you will have to get on or the arrangement wont work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Flat shares with friends are not a good idea unless you are close friends and already spendlots of time together. Sharing a flat with someone is like being in a relationship with that person (albeit without the fun stuff ;) ) so you will have to get on or the arrangement wont work

+1
    I've had problems in the past when sharing with friends but was afraid to say anything in case it messed up our friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you have the slightest bit of doubt, don't move in with the person. The fact that he's a mate would make it more difficult if something did go wrong. Take your time finding someone who you'd be happy to share. And when you do find someone, make sure there's a clause in the lease/agreement about asking them to leave and ensure you both sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hiddenuser

Sorry for the rant, in advance!

Wow, talk about being on the button lads. My friend looked at the place and was well on for it as it suited him and was a big place, but didn't commit.

So fair enough said have a think about it and get back to me as my parents need to rent it. Plus the rent was going to at least 150 quid per month below market value.

So gave him some time to think about it and ended up calling him as he didnt come back.

He was a bit surprised with my tone when I asked him have you made a decision yet on it as I needed to go back to my parents.

Anyways he asked to see it again and gave him to keys, he brought the GF with him.

He came back and said he wasn't sure due to some homeless people he seen outside and thought it was doggy at night. There is no way that would bother him so much to say no, he already knew it wasnt a great area and had accepted that previously. The GF must have been talking him into it.

I was a bit offended when he launched into about how doggy the area was and didnt like it anymore. My issue was how stubborn and unpleasant he got not even a thank you for the offer.

For his sake I told him it was very unlikely I would be prepared to move out of home to pay market rent as I am saving and this place suited me.

To triumph it all off I get an email saying coz ive no one else now to rent with, there is no point me looking for places. Sounds like he is blaming me for situation he finds himself in.

Think I dodged a bullet there, could have been an absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Anyways he asked to see it again and gave him to keys, he brought the GF with him.

Stay well clear.

I'm not sure what age you are but my advice is to avoid getting someone in your place in a serious relationship as you wil have their partner there all the time.......this is a real no no IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Trust your instincts. If he's difficult with you in a casual relationship he could be hell to live with. I've lived with 2 flatmates over the last 10 years who were (or became) absolute hell. If it seems "too good to be true" it probably is a sign there is something wrong.

There would be nothing to stop you from writing up some kind of lease anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement