Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many poems should a Higher Lvl leaving cert essay discuss (Prescribed poetry)?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

How many poems should a Higher Lvl leaving cert essay discuss (Prescribed poetry)?

There are 8 per poet. Some sources tell me an essay should include six of these. This seems like to many to me; The analysis of each would be too brief.

My teacher says four or even three, if they're done well

What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

thats actually a very good question! i would say 4 or 5 but im not sure. 6 seems to much and 3 to little i suppose it would depend on how you link them into each other and write about them.
    sorry if this isnt much help:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

if I remember right,there are 8 ont the syllabus for each,you study 6.

in the essay the expect anything as low as 3 but you can do all 6.which would make it difficult to keep a cohesive statement,but somewhere in the middle,find what suits you in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

My teacher recommends doing 4 to show that you have a decent knowledge of the poet's work but still have a cohesive essay. It's up to you though. I'd say 3 is not enough, but if you can pull it off, do 6 if you want.
    It's much easier to do 6 if you organise your essays by theme rather than by poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

My teacher said you have to discuss six.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

well you only need 6 poems per poet.

but it really depends on the poet, if you are dealing with it thematically, then you only need one or two points about different poems.

but in general have about 4 in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

6 would be far too much, you wouldnt get enough detail on any.
    4 is a pretty good amount. Just remember its better to discuss 4 in detail rather than 6 and barely scraping the surface. You get the marks for insightful discussion and full valid points, not showing how many poems you know. Bear in mind, the named poetry question is only 50 marks out of 400 aswell. So dont spend the guts of the exam on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I discussed 2 in mine last year and got full marks in the question.
    Make sure your points are relevant and well developed. That matters a lot more than how many poems you analyse in the answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

You shouldn't be discussing poems and going through them one by one, you should be discussing themes and referencing these poems into each theme. So if you feel a major theme of that poet's poetry was patriotism, write a paragraph on that referencing 4-5 poems and giving a few quotes that support your point. Do the same then for your next paragraph e.g. on feminism or whatever. Should be really easy to reference AT LEAST 6 poems that way!

Essays that go through poems one by one read really badly, and you should be well beyound that for higher level standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My teacher says four or even three, if they're done well

What do you think?

Your teacher is right, but again it depends on the quality of your answer. To be completely safe I would recommend discussing 3/4 in detail (which outline the poet's main themes) and then referring to 2 similar ones together e.g. Walcott's 'to Norline' and 'Summer Elegies' are very similar and can be discussed in one paragraph (nostalgia, lost love)
    sogg wrote: »
    You shouldn't be discussing poems and going through them one by one, you should be discussing themes and referencing these poems into each theme. So if you feel a major theme of that poet's poetry was patriotism, write a paragraph on that referencing 4-5 poems and giving a few quotes that support your point. Do the same then for your next paragraph e.g. on feminism or whatever. Should be really easy to reference AT LEAST 6 poems that way!

Essays that go through poems one by one read really badly, and you should be well beyound that for higher level standard.

This is a very common misconception. Poem-by-poem essays DO NOT read really badly, they are, however, easier to write. As long as you aren't writing a summary of each poem instead of an essay and are discussing the themes, language and question asked, you'll get the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We have done 4 poets and 4 poems on each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I've always been told to cover 6 poems per question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Right, well 8 poets and prescribed and to be sure you're covered, you should do 5. Out of those 5, there's on average 10 poems to do. Then in your answer, you are asked to refer to at least 6 of those poems. Simples:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

We were always told to write theme by theme, reference 6 poems usually and 4 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

cli2931 wrote: »
    We were always told to write theme by theme, reference 6 poems usually and 4 at least.

That's nothing wrong with the way your teacher approaches it. I'm just pointing out that you don't have to use theme by theme to get an A. The SEC don't require it in the marking scheme and it makes no difference to the markers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 timeforheroes01

Three in detail and references from two or three more.. According to my supervising examiner grind teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i'd say 4 or 5
    3 is too little and 6 would be too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

For each poet, you're 'advised' to study six poems. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to mention them all. Three in detail would be better than six barely skimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

We are told to do at least 4 aand mention the rest in passing.
    How many pages are people told to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'd say four in reasonable detail on average, but it's more important you can relate them to the question asked, and expand on your points adequately, than how many poems you can get in.

You're better off studying six, in case the question is very theme-specific, but you don't need to discuss them all unless they all apply, and you think you can discuss them all in enough detail in the time you have. :)

Advertisement