Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT---If the car is in the country six months can I register it for free?

• 24-11-2009 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi lads. Need ye're help.

I have a 91 pugo 205 1.9 gti(ya can see it in my adds)

Its on english plates and I hate hevin to sell it. Only reason I am sellin is because its on english and I can't drive it because Mr. Garda Siochana would more than likely seize it if they stopped me.

A mate of mine said that if the car is in the country for six months you can register it for free. He wasn't really sure thou.

Is there any truth in this? If so how do I prove its been in the country six months?

Any help would be much appreciated as i don't have the money to pay the VRT and I'd love to get this beauty on the road.
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

stevie390 wrote: »
    Hi lads. Need ye're help.

I have a 91 pugo 205 1.9 gti(ya can see it in my adds)

Its on english plates and I hate hevin to sell it. Only reason I am sellin is because its on english and I can't drive it because Mr. Garda Siochana would more than likely seize it if they stopped me.

A mate of mine said that if the car is in the country for six months you can register it for free. He wasn't really sure thou.

Is there any truth in this? If so how do I prove its been in the country six months?

Any help would be much appreciated as i don't have the money to pay the VRT and I'd love to get this beauty on the road.
    :D

Your friend's got it backwards. It has to be owned by you, in the EU (excluding ROI), for six months. Then there'd be no VRT. In this situation you have to VRT it. Why did you buy it when you knew you had to VRT it in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stevie390

Confab wrote: »
    Your friend's got it backwards. It has to be owned by you, in the EU (excluding ROI), for six months. Then there'd be no VRT. In this situation you have to VRT it. Why did you buy it when you knew you had to VRT it in the first place?

I knew it was too good to be true :(

Its an awesome car. Heaps of performance mods and I also had a job when i bought it so i thought, 'just save up for a few weeks and i'l have her on the road' :rolleyes:

I knew it was too good to be true :(

Its an awesome car. Heaps of performance mods and I also had a job when i bought it so i thought, 'just save up for a few weeks and i'l have her on the road' :rolleyes:

Ah, my brother had that happen to him too. Either move up North or get it sold ASAP, they're great cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stevie390

Confab wrote: »
    Ah, my brother had that happen to him too. Either move up North or get it sold ASAP, they're great cars.

Oh there a savage car. Engine is converted to Mi16 valve. little rocket of a yoke.

If I knew someone with a northern address could I get the car registered in there name on the english log book?

Then after six months get them to register it for free in the republic?

Then when the Irish tax book comes they could transfer it into my name?

It sounds like alot of hassle but i'd have it on the road by june 2010 ready for the summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Or you could just pay your taxes like the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

In all fairness how much can the duty be on an eighteen year old car did you even check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i bought a 96 Mondeo over 3 years ago, went to register it and they let me off, said as the car was old it'd be a bit harsh to charge me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I knew someone with a northern address could I get the car registered in there name on the english log book?

That would be a silly and quite illegal thing to attempt. It also wouldn't work as the proofs of residence, ownership, insurance and taxation would be an issue and most importantly the VRT automatically becomes due if the car is transferred to another owner of within 12 months of import. Risking your ass for a car that would probably be less than a grand to VRT doesn't make any sense. You can read the full details here (Tax Relief on Transfer of Residence - VRT 3).
    In all fairness how much can the duty be on an eighteen year old car did you even check?
    There are minimum rates for each band. Anything with a reasonably high CO2 output will probably be over €600 regardless of it's value.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    i bought a 96 Mondeo over 3 years ago, went to register it and they let me off, said as the car was old it'd be a bit harsh to charge me
    I doubt that we'll see much of that in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 James3555

Save up that little bit longer and pay for it, save you alot of hassle, it'll be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

It will be 600 to get it registered here, I was in a similar situation a while back..When I went into the office I was told 600 is the minimum for any car regardless of value..I just bought the car for 500 so in a sense had to pay over 100% VRT on it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shenanigans! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Pity you didn't do your homework before buying it. As has been said on these pages many times before, if you can't pay the VRT, the tax, the insurance, or even the fuel to put in it, you can't afford the car.

You should try save up and pay the VRT and then use the car with freedom. It will be worth it cos they are a class machine. And you won't need to worry about every car you see parked on the road and be thinking they're gonna take your wheels from ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't be looking for advice on how to evade the VRT please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you would have to have owned the car AND be resident outside the Republic for six months to get it free...ie its free if you are moving to the Republic and bringing all your property with you including the car.

Miminmum is €725 I think now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

now THAT i dont believe....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Minimum OMSP is now €2,000 so minimum VRT is whatever percentage of that (VRT rate will depend on CO2 emissions). If no official CO2 figure available, then 36% = €720.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

K2 wrote: »
    Or you could just pay your taxes like the rest of us?
    now theres no need for that? VRT is a dubious tax at best tbh

Max Power1 wrote: »

Let's not go into that again. If they scrap it it'll be replaced with something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Read the charter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do you have a car on an irish plate? If so, you have paid vrt so why should everyone else not pay?
    I dont understand people coming on here having pity for themselves over having to fork out for vrt.
    IN the OPs case, he should consider it a bargain. He is looking at paying the minimum figure and if as he says the car has been nicely upgraded, he will be getting away with paying a very low % of its actual value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

esel wrote: »
    (VRT rate will depend on CO2 emissions).

This only applies if the car was first registered after the 1st of July 2008 no matter what country it was first registered in. If it was registered before that date in another country, then the VRT and road tax is based on engine cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This only applies if the car was first registered after the 1st of July 2008 no matter what country it was first registered in. If it was registered before that date in another country, then the VRT and road tax is based on engine cc
    No, road tax may be based on CO2 if the car is first registered after 01/07/08, VRT is CO2-based for all cars under 30 years old.

Advertisement