Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying your books- Amazon versus Ebay

Options
  • 24-11-2009 5:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I wanted to buy 2 new books from Amazon tonight.
    2 books were each around a fiver but by the time i went to checkout they would have cost me over 20 Euro.
    So I went onto Ebay and got them second-hand.

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: By Perkins, John
    $9.59 USD

How to Get Rich By Dennis, Felix
    $8.89 USD

The total was just under 11 euros.

Where do you buy your books and do you find ebay better than amazon or do you shop locally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

For new books online, usually Book Depository now, free postage and packing (wish I'd found that site earlier). Always use to use Amazon before that.
    Hodges Figgis or Chapters when in Dublin, generally end up with a load of bargain books, only to find they would still have been cheaper online, but I like being able to flick through them, read random pages etc in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

That Book Depository is pretty cheap.Just added 2 of them books brand new to the cart and it came to only 12 quid.Pitty I bought my books already on ebay, but i will know what to do the next time.
    I know where I will be shopping next time.
    Sound Mike, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm a big fan of Amazon since they've started free delivery to Ireland for orders over £25

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I used to use www.abesbooks.com quite a lot, and try and order as many books as possible from the one seller. That was obviously for older, second-hand books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

www.bookdepository.co.uk is the best book shop in my experience. Extremely competitive prices and free delivery.

Just got a promotional email off of them there - 10% off all orders between now and 10th of December. Just go to this page first and then find the coupon code, HAPPY99X, to use at checkout. You have to enter the site via that page. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Yes i agree. I only discovered book depository recently...from this thread 2 minutes ago

I just ordered another shipment of books off an amazon agent a few days ago. I would have saved 41% if I bought off BD :mad:

Well anyhow you guys have shown me the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I just got 9 brand new books (including hardbacks, annuals and kid's books) for €48.93. Free delivery!

Happiness, thy name is mud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

I don't know what I'm letting myself in for but I've just opened an account with this book place. I've seen lots of books that I want to buy. Don't you just love places that have free postage. It makes such a difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Just so you know, whenever I've ordered from Book Depository, the books have always arrived seperately - in envelope style packaging, rather than with Amazon where they'll usually put them all into the one box. So I might get a few books one day, then more the next and so on.

It lacks the amount of reviews on the books that Amazon has, but well...I just read them on Amazon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Up until recently I was an eBayer for my books, quite happily too I might add.

Then I discovered The Book Depositry and I have dropped eBay like a hot spud. Very good value, fast delivery and no p&p seals the deal. I wasn't wide to this 10% off until I read this thread and went to use it just now. Went through the bonus page but couldn't find anywhere to insert the Happyx99 in. Twas only a 15 euro, 2 book order so no biggie, just wondering has anyone else failed to see get the 10% off or is it just my blindness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Myself i only use Abe books and play.com.I like play because their prices are in euros and include post in the price shown.I have bought 80% of my books from play over the last 3 years.

I think both your books on play come to around €16,check it out for yourself.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3370067/How-to-Get-Rich/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/745736/Confessions-of-an-Economic-Hit-Man/Product.html

Had a look on bookdepository as well,i think one of ur books is cheaper and one is dearer.So u could get one from each unless u don't want to split the order.Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Up until recently I was an eBayer for my books, quite happily too I might add.

Then I discovered The Book Depositry and I have dropped eBay like a hot spud. Very good value, fast delivery and no p&p seals the deal. I wasn't wide to this 10% off until I read this thread and went to use it just now. Went through the bonus page but couldn't find anywhere to insert the Happyx99 in. Twas only a 15 euro, 2 book order so no biggie, just wondering has anyone else failed to see get the 10% off or is it just my blindness?

I'm just after doing an order myself and had no problem with the discount. You go through the discount link. Then you continue shopping. When you are finished, you go to your basket/checkout and just above your order at the top of the page should be a box where you can insert the discount code. Then you click the "apply code", just beside this box. It worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

OK nice one. I will get it right the next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I shop around, but it's usually between Amazon.co.uk (especially now there's free delivery on orders over E25) and bookdepository.

Advertisement