Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleft Palet

Options
  • 24-11-2009 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

What is the survival rate of puppies born with a cleft palet?

My dog has just given birth to a gorgeous girl with a cleft palet and the vet has advised me to get her PTS as she would only starve to death...

I have been feeding her by hand for the past few hours...

what should i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't personally know - but having a quick google, seems most either get put to sleep or they're hand fed for a few months. IF you decided to keep the pup be aware it's going to be a LOT of work -- any sort of wet food or other things can travel up the cleft into their nasal area or sinus and cause serious problems. You'd have to keep a very close eye on them all the time to make sure they don't pick up anything.

I found a few links about people who think you shouldn't euthanise a cleft pup - but they do say you have to be prepared to commit 110%.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cleft.htm

http://hennwood.tripod.com/cleft_pup_info.htm

They also say that after a certain amount of time there may be a chance of surgery closing the cleft - but not always. AND it's very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Cleft patets in dogs can close up themselves in time. Usually after a year. What breed is your little one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

how many pups are there in total - cos you'll need time to look after them all - is there someone home full time?

where are you based also in general terms - Cork, Dublin - cos there may be people close by who can help if they know roughly where you are

Advertisement