Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot provlem

• 24-11-2009 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I was attempting to install Windows 7 on my laptop and ran into a problem.
    The installation seems to complete but when it begins the "Windows is preparing your installation for first use" section, it will freeze after a certain amount of time....not enough time to complete the section.
    I have tried reinstalling from the cd but the same problem keeps popping up.
    Also, I have tried to install XP back on the machine and it wont boot from the cd.
    It will recognize and boot the Windows 7 disc but not the XP one.
    I was wanting to try an install of an OS (any OS, Linux even, though I have ZERO experience with it)
    Is there a guide to doing this somewhere or is there another solution.
    The laptop is quite old, but has a lot of RAM, maybe the processor is the problem re:Windows 7 but I can't understand why it won't boot from the XP disc.
    Any help will be appriciated

Cheers
    HB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

ANYONE?
    I'm trying to boot from USB but its tricky. Using PE Builder

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 19 board I se

when you say it wont boot from the xp cd... does start to load and crash? or does it not even give you option to boot into cd? "press anykey"

For some reason it wont boot from any cd other than the windows 7 cd.
    As in it wont give the option to boot.....

Odd or what

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 19 board I se

hmm that's weird... something similar happened a friends pc with windows 7 install, fixed it by resetting the bios on computer, you can do this by removing the battery inside pc for a few minutes, have you ever done this? its just like big watch battery,

or else i would suggest downloading this and trying to run it, this will wipe your HD so you can do a clean install

http://www.dban.org/download

Hi
    Cheers for that. Will try reset the bios and failing that, dban the hell out of it.

Cheers Again

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

First of all pop into town and get Linux Format.

The new version of Ubuntu Linux is now out so look for it on the cover disk.
    Even if you know nowt about Linux the disk can be used to boot the machine from the Ubuntu live CD. This is a great way to check a dead pc and I have one on me all the time due its usefulness as a diagnostics tool.

Power down and reboot a few times from the Ubuntu live CD and watch for any erratic behaviour in the boot process. If not then Windows is suspect.

If problem is still there with Linux then remove and replace the button cell battery on the motherboard and then check that you can boot into Linux as before.

If not then try formatting the hard drive before doing a Windows re-install.
    If you can't format the drive then get a diag tool from the drive manufacturer's web-site.

If that does not work then the drive has had it.

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement