Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walked by DCC office on the quay, 20 people only striking

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

Now surely there is more than 20 people working in that office and surely more than 20 people voted to go on strike.

So my question is why arent all the staff out there walking, its a strike and not a day off or a shopping day which it seems its more becoming.

The People striking should be up there walking back and forward for the hours they work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

They are picketing in shifts.
    No-one is doing a full day, they're working in 3 or 4 hour shifts.

Also bear in mind that not everyone who works there will be in the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yes i know not everyone in there is in a union, and i feel sorry for those people.

But unless they do shift work of 4 hours per day, they should be outside the office for the full hours they worked.

Strike is not ment to be easy.

Also if they are doing shifts and say do 4x4 hours of shifts thats only 80 staff, would of thought there is over 200 in that office at least??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think your not allowed a mass picket by law (my OH was looking at the rota for her place
    this from the ASTI website

"
    • The number of ASTI members on a picket at any one school entrance should be a maximum of six; this is because larger numbers would constitute a mass picket, which is illegal under the provisions of the Industrial Relations Acts.

"

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Yes i know not everyone in there is in a union, and i feel sorry for those people.

But unless they do shift work of 4 hours per day, they should be outside the office for the full hours they worked.

Also if they are doing shifts and say do 4x4 hours of shifts thats only 80 staff, would of thought there is over 200 in that office at least??

These people have shopping to do. Get off their case. :mad:

I wonder will the pubs be busy from about 3pm?:rolleyes:

Pleeeeaaaasssseeeeee Rain:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I saw about 7 people outside Cork Airport this morning.

Looks like a bad day to be out on the picket lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I wonder will David Begg's fine coat get ruined in the rain or does he have a wardrobe of similar ones paid by union subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Why? A lot of work protection and statutes comes straight from the EU, unions haven't exactly shown their worthiness of late..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I wonder if any PS posters here will be posting instead of been on the picket lines :D

Not sure if the law is max of six people as was around 30 outside the emmigration office on the quays.

3 outside the barracks museum

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Please PLEASE pllleeease let it rain

• Advertisement

I dont care about the weather, dont support the strike, but at least if going to strike do it properly.

Please PLEASE pllleeease let it rain

Your prayer has been answered. http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    forecast wrote:
    Windy and cloudy for much or all of the day, with rain at times. Some heavy outbreaks in places, especially this afternoon and this evening - but some drier spells too for most parts, particular during the morning or the middle of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its well known that strikers all have been given coats impervious to rain. These coats are manufactured in Thailand from the trimmings of beards of Union Leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Now surely there is more than 20 people working in that office and surely more than 20 people voted to go on strike.

So my question is why arent all the staff out there walking, its a strike and not a day off or a shopping day which it seems its more becoming.

The People striking should be up there walking back and forward for the hours they work.

"oh dont cut our pay, we are going on strike"

*looks outside*

"actually we might just stay in today!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

gurramok wrote: »
    I wonder if any PS posters here will be posting instead of been on the picket lines :D
    mobile boards ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

There are 3 floors of public sector workers in the building I work in.... There were 38 people outside. Even if there are three shifts of four hours, that is an embarrassingly small number. I've seen more than that together having a smoke!

On the upside - I got in to work in 20 mins. It was the first time I wasnt late this month! I'll get to go home on time tonight!

Anybody else notice the world is still turning? Without the PS help.

Some what more effeciently too, I also made it int work in about 20 mins.

Got in half an hour early

Absurdum wrote: »
    mobile boards ftw!

But they cannot afford mobile internet access with their low pay :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

We're not getting paid so we'll do what we want with our own time.

whatnext wrote: »
    I wonder will the pubs be busy from about 3pm?:rolleyes:

Biggest public service piss up in years I'd say. Can't wait.

• Advertisement

Pleeeeaaaasssseeeeee Rain:D

Errr, raingear.

It does rain in Ireland you know.

Don't forget yours when you're queueing outside the dole office to sign on.;)

dresden8 wrote: »

Says it all really.

I wont picket cos im not getting paid for it.

I hope your familly, friends and peers are proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BC wrote: »
    They are picketing in shifts.
    No-one is doing a full day

No change there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Biggest public service piss up in years I'd say. Can't wait.

Ah but remember, this is the PS. Piss up, brewery, and all that.

Says it all really.

I wont picket cos im not getting paid for it.

I hope your familly, friends and peers are proud of you.

I will picket, when I am rostered.

Not that it's any of your business.

My family, friends and peers don't believe in taking it up the ass without at least saying "excuse me, what are you doing?".

If you're not on strike how come you're on boards during the day.

Back to work you.

tunney wrote: »
    Ah but remember, this is the PS. Piss up, brewery, and all that.

Us smart people go to pubs for piss-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Archytas wrote: »
    There are 3 floors of public sector workers in the building I work in.... There were 38 people outside. Even if there are three shifts of four hours, that is an embarrassingly small number. I've seen more than that together having a smoke!

On the upside - I got in to work in 20 mins. It was the first time I wasnt late this month! I'll get to go home on time tonight!
    Anybody else notice the world is still turning? Without the PS help.

Some what more effeciently too, I also made it int work in about 20 mins.

Got in half an hour early

I have to say i was amazed how quite the traffic was today and just how few people were around

couple of factors i suppose, no children in schools and parents staying at home to mind them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

But then what is the point of going on strike, the reason for the strike is to demonstrate against the impending pay-cuts, if no one shows up or a very small amount, it doesn't make for a very good demonstration. So to me it just looks like the PS wanted a day off work.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Sure isnt every day not a piss up for the PS, i mean they dont do any work any day really?

• Advertisement

I will picket, when I am rostered.

Not that it's any of your business.

My family, friends and peers don't believe in taking it up the ass without at least saying "excuse me, what are you doing?".

If you're not on strike how come you're on boards during the day.

Back to work you.

I've eff all to do cos all you lot have taken the day off. Waiting on information from civil servants for the past week. Was due last thursday but got an email saying it would be delayed because of the strike today.

Can anyone figure that one out for me?:rolleyes:

Advertisement