Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walked by DCC office on the quay, 20 people only striking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

gurramok wrote: »
    I wonder if any PS posters here will be posting instead of been on the picket lines :D
    :(:( Why does it bother you so much? They are on their own time...
    PS posters could respond with 'I wonder will private sector workers be posting on here instead of working'....:rolleyes: oh wait! None of the whingers have jobs...Their all students:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

But then what is the point of going on strike, the reason for the strike is to demonstrate against the impending pay-cuts, if no one shows up or a very small amount, it doesn't make for a very good demonstration. So to me it just looks like the PS wanted a day off work.

Pickets are a very small part of the whole thing, as are one day strikes to be honest, they're just a marker.

As a lot of posters gleefully proclaim the public sector going out for a day is no big deal. The ship of state will founder on.

Go out for a week or a month and watch ministers try to answer question in the dail on their own, it wouldn't be an edifying sight.

whatnext wrote: »
    I've eff all to do cos all you lot have taken the day off. Waiting on information from civil servants for the past week. Was due last thursday but got an email saying it would be delayed because of the strike today.

Can anyone figure that one out for me?:rolleyes:

So what you're saying is that without the public service you cannot function, indeed, you do not have a function.

I thought all you private sector types were shown the door if you had nothing to do.

I won't tell Michael O'Leary if you don't.

Edit: Hang on, you've been doing nothing since Thursday? That's too much.

Michael, are you out there? Sort this lazy fecker out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Sure isnt every day not a piss up for the PS, i mean they dont do any work any day really?
    This sums it all up! Baseless insults and childish remarks....got the day off school have you?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

just heard on the radio, 4 and half mile tailbacks into Newry from the South, coincedence or are all the strikers doing their Xmas shopping

• Advertisement

Highlander wrote: »
    just heard on the radio, 4 and half mile tailbacks into Newry from the South, coincedence or are all the strikers doing their Xmas shopping

B. I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

dresden8 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that without the public service you cannot function, indeed, you do not have a function.

I thought all you private sector types were shown the door if you had nothing to do.

I won't tell Michael O'Leary if you don't.

Look, I dont want to get into my job or the contract I am working on, but the delay in information that I require from a team of 6 people civil servants, (a yes or no answer) will result in a delay action against my public sector client for breach of contract. its in the contract that they drew up.

And yes every day I come into work could be my last. I didn't need reminding of that fact, its stating me in the face.

M O'L is a hero of mine - love the guy

Edit: just saw your edit was workinf away until last night on my project, now at deadlock. But looks like Ive got a new one in, God Bless the Arabs - and specifically their money:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Sure why wouldn't the strikers make the most of their day? The withdrawal of services is the main "weapon". The picketing is only to try to prevent people from crossing the picket line (and suppose for optics as well). They are not getting paid for the day so fair play to them if they have a nice day with their families or if they get their Christmas shopping done.

M O'L is a hero of mine - love the guy

At least you'll have his autograph on your P.45, unless he's contracted that out to China, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

:(:( Why does it bother you so much? They are on their own time...
    PS posters could respond with 'I wonder will private sector workers be posting on here instead of working'....:rolleyes: oh wait! None of the whingers have jobs...Their all students:p

I could be on a holiday, i could be unemployed, i could be a student, or I could be damn efficient at my job to work and post at the same time :D

However the focus is on the striker today, not the non-PS who post and what they get up to.

Strange that Newry is backlogged on a Tuesday morning, a rather rare occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

At least you'll have his autograph on your P.45, unless he's contracted that out to China, of course.

how dare you.

I wouldnt wish a P45 on anyone - even you.

If you have any shred of dignity or understanding of what is going on the the world you will withdraw that remark and appologise

As I have already stated it is something I am staring in the face everyday

Strange that Newry is backlogged on a Tuesday morning, a rather rare occurrence.

No, it's not strange. It's probably strikers going shopping.

Yes to Lisbon, Yes to Europe!!!!!

You concieted little bollix, how dare you.

I wouldnt wish a P45 on anyone - even you.

If you have any shred of dignity or understanding of what is going on the the world you will withdraw that remark and appologise

As I have already stated it is something I am staring in the face everyday

Every day public sector workers are facing calls to be turfed out on their arses, especially in this forum and especially from Michael O'Bleedin' Leary.

Welcome to my world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, it's not strange. It's probably strikers going shopping.

Yes to Lisbon, Yes to Europe!!!!!

You're probably taking the biscuit but shouldn't the unions be anti-Europe considering they are pushing for the cuts that affects their members?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Every day public sector workers are facing calls to be turfed out on their arses, especially in this forum and especially from Michael O'Bleedin' Leary.

Welcome to my world.

As opposed to the 500 people who got turfed in my company. Or the 300 who got turfed in my flatmates. Or my other flatmate who got turfed.

Reality leaves a real bitter taste.

You're probably taking the biscuit but shouldn't the unions be anti-Europe considering they are pushing for the cuts that affects their members?

Anti-European institutions doesn't mean anti-Europe.

Anyway, they're our long lost brothers up the north, even the unionists.

Embrace them I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Welcome to my world.

Agree 100% - every day for tha last 6 months on this forum people have been calling for Public Sector workers to lose their jobs, get their pay slashed by up to 40 or 50%, called dossers, wasters and lots lots more.

We have bills just like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Obviously not everyone in the public sector is a waster/dosser. No more than everyone in the private sector are perfect over-achievers making millions.

The first point is that our taxes are paying your wages, and we're getting our own wages cut. Plain and simple, the majority of the private sector have taken pay cuts, so now it's time the public sector did too.

The second point is that for all you give out about how people want your job cut, you are not currently in a position where your job is under threat.

The third point is that you can strike all you like, but the Public sector is
    currently costing the country way more than it can afford. We no longer have the money to pay your wage bill.Therefore you HAVE to accept that you have to take a wage cut. I agree there needs to be some sort of scale, with far more money taken from those with higher salaries, but it's got to happen.

The fourth point is that everyone has bills and the cost of living in this country is high. However it's high relative to our wages - which are also high.So wages drop - cost of living drops, for the simple reason that people can't afford goods anymore. The adjustment period hurts like hell, and things right themselves.

The fifth point is that, as I said you're not all wasters and dossers. However we ALL know that there is a large proportion of the PS which is overburdened with admin and middle management that is just not necessary. There are also work practices that are totally inefficient. It seriously needs to be streamlined and part of that will have to be job cuts.

If the public service was a private company it would have gone bankrupt some time early this year. We can't keep going the way we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

Archytas wrote: »
    There are 3 floors of public sector workers in the building I work in.... There were 38 people outside. Even if there are three shifts of four hours, that is an embarrassingly small number. I've seen more than that together having a smoke!

There are huge tailbacks going in to Derry, Newry, Enniskillen etc - thats where a lot of them are today. Paying the taxes to support public servants in another jurisdiction.
    If they think the Irish public service is so bad they should leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bridgitt wrote: »
    There are huge tailbacks going in to Derry, Newry, Enniskillen etc - thats where a lot of them are today. Paying the taxes to support public servants in another jurisdiction.
    If they think the Irish public service is so bad they should leave it.

I just heard this on Newstalk, the suggestion is being made that the same people who are striking for better pay today have decided to take the day as a shopping day and support jobs up the north...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

dan_d wrote: »
    we're getting our own wages cut. Plain and simple, the majority of the private sector have taken pay cuts, so now it's time the public sector did too.

You see this is where I have the problem.... slowly the truth is emerging through all the smoke and untruths spun by the media and some of the regular posters on here - nowhere near the majority in the private sector have taken cuts... its estimated that 70% have not.

So don't ask me to take another paycut ontop of the pension levy taken off me last year (when my income is already thousands of euro less than the average industrial wage).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Plain and simple, the majority of the private sector have taken pay cuts, so now it's time the public sector did too.

Every survey shows that the majority of the private sector have not had paycuts, about one quarter to one third have. Everyone in the public sector has already had a paycut.
    The fifth point is that, as I said you're not all wasters and dossers. However we ALL know that there is a large proportion of the PS which is overburdened with admin and middle management that is just not necessary.

Then why not get rid of this useless management and admin and let the rest of us work effectively and pay us appropriately?

The "board" of the public sector is elected by people who mostly work in the private sector and this board has imposed this crap management on us.

gerry28 wrote: »
    You see this is where I have the problem.... slowly the truth is emerging through all the smoke and untruths spun by the media and some of the regular posters on here - nowhere near the majority in the private sector have taken cuts... its estimated that 70% have not.

So don't ask me to take another paycut ontop of the pension levy taken off me last year (when my income is already thousands of euro less than the average industrial wage).

There are 250K people protesting today... In the private sector, 150K have taken the ultimate pay cut, just this year alone!!! There will be 500K private sector workers on the dole soon enough... What part of this do you not understand???

By the end of this year, for every public sector worker in the state who is cribbing about a pay cut, there will be two private sector workers who will have lost their jobs and are living on social welfare... What are you on about, pay cuts in the private sector??? How can you take a pay cut when you have no job??? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gerry think you need to climb down.

That figure your saying for 70% was for Summer 2008, the unions refused to accept the new figure that is over 80% of companies have given pay cuts to their staff.

I personally dont care if the PS take a cut or not, thats up to ye but strike properly instead of using it as a day off.
    The main thing ye need to be careful of is the following:

1. If we raise taxes all the time instead of not cutting costs at what ever level, the brains will leave the country, i for one will just jump ship with my family and leave the house there, bank be welcome to it.
    2. Raising taxes will cause the private sector to look for higher wages causes employers to leave the country.

As a result of both these points above, the country will go bankrupt within 2-3 years and then the PS sector will be gone, no redundo, no pension and no foot to stand on.
    Only ones that will get some kind of life line will be the gardai and nurses but the cost of tax here will cause them to leave too.

Before you know it, Ireland will be in bits.

PS There is no future in Ireland for our kids the way we are going also!
    Imagine you been old and no family to look after you as they left Ireland because of the greed. Its a major reality that faces this island of ours

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Agree 100% - every day for tha last 6 months on this forum people have been calling for Public Sector workers to lose their jobs, get their pay slashed by up to 40 or 50%, called dossers, wasters and lots lots more.

Links please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have said the income tax revenue figures beg to disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

1. If we raise taxes all the time instead of not cutting costs at what ever level, the brains will leave the country, i for one will just jump ship with my family and leave the house there, bank be welcome to it.
    2. Raising taxes will cause the private sector to look for higher wages causes employers to leave the country.

As a result of both these points above, the country will go bankrupt within 2-3 years and then the PS sector will be gone, no redundo, no pension and no foot to stand on.
    I do not support the strikes and believe we need pay cuts at the moment. I don't support tax increases at a time of recession but average_runner, to argue that higher tax rates will leave us in bankruptcy totally ignores the experiences of the many, many other European countries that have higher tax rates than we do.

It also ignores the fact that a low tax regime does not immunise you from bankruptcy, as we are experiencing right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Gerry think you need to climb down.

That figure your saying for 70% was for Summer 2008, the unions refused to accept the new figure that is over 80% of companies have given pay cuts to their staff.

I personally dont care if the PS take a cut or not, thats up to ye but strike properly instead of using it as a day off.
    The main thing ye need to be careful of is the following:

Only ones that will get some kind of life line will be the gardai and nurses but the cost of tax here will cause them to leave too.

Before you know it, Ireland will be in bits.

PS There is no future in Ireland for our kids the way we are going also!
    Imagine you been old and no family to look after you as they left Ireland because of the greed. Its a major reality that faces this island of ours

Where's the 80% figure from?

There's a lot more doom-mongering in your post than reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I just heard this on Newstalk, the suggestion is being made that the same people who are striking for better pay today have decided to take the day as a shopping day and support jobs up the north...

they're not going shopping, it's a mass exodus!! this country's falling apart.....get the fcuk out while you can!!!

Advertisement