Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Warden strike

• 24-11-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anyone know if tge traffic wardens are striking today? Some free parking would be nice.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Most likely but I hope not or the likes of the Quays/everywhere else will be a bigger mess then usually due to complete idiots parking in the most stupid ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Are the binmen on strike?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JPA wrote: »

Only if they are employed by the gov, if they are private ala Mr Binman then they should be running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

According to the traffic reports all the ''stirkers'' are gone north shopping for the day...6 mile tailbacks into Newry, shopkeepers reporting a bumper day. P*ss taking disgrace if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Waynecarr wrote: »
    According to the traffic reports all the ''stirkers'' are gone north shopping for the day...6 mile tailbacks into Newry, shopkeepers reporting a bumper day. P*ss taking disgrace if so
    where did you see this? I so much want it to be true for the hilarity value.

• Advertisement

It's all they are talking about on newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

It could be a mixture of people who had to take day off to mind kids and also strikers. From what I was told strikers dont have to strike all day just put in a few hours. They must have a rotation process in place.

yeah mine is full to the brim and I left it out late last night just in case.

If the City Council Bin Men dont collect them today will they collect them tomorrow or what happens?

I'll give them an ear full on the phone if they don't collect my full bin today or tomorrow. I can't wait another 3 weeks for the bin to be emptied. Maybe I should change over to mr binman. At least I wont have to wait for 3 weeks to get 1 type of bin emptied.

OP, maybe it might be a good idea to rename the thread to "How the Strike affected the non-strikers - good and bad points". It may help us prepare for the next pointless strike day been talked about by the union chiefs.

For me so far it has affected me like so...

Good Point - Free Parking
    Bad Point - No Bin Collection, may have to wait 3 more weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Fantastic, wish the Wardens went on strike more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It could be a mixture of people who had to take day off to mind kids and also strikers. From what I was told strikers dont have to strike all day just put in a few hours. They must have a rotation process in place.

yeah mine is full to the brim and I left it out late last night just in case.

If the City Council Bin Men dont collect them today will they collect them tomorrow or what happens?

I'll give them an ear full on the phone if they don't collect my full bin today or tomorrow. I can't wait another 3 weeks for the bin to be emptied. Maybe I should change over to mr binman. At least I wont have to wait for 3 weeks to get 1 type of bin emptied.

OP, maybe it might be a good idea to rename the thread to "How the Strike affected the non-strikers - good and bad points". It may help us prepare for the next pointless strike day been talked about by the union chiefs.

For me so far it has affected me like so...

Good Point - Free Parking
    Bad Point - No Bin Collection, may have to wait 3 more weeks

I emailed them and asked them about the bins and then realised the person I emailed is probably on strike too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You do realise that not everyone wants to strike but have been forced to take a days holidays for fear of being lambasted by their colleagues for passing the picket?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    I emailed them and asked them about the bins and then realised the person I emailed is probably on strike too. :rolleyes:

Just saw this on the Waterford City Council website,

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/IndustrialAction2009.doc
    Information re: Industrial Action
    November 24th 2009

Due to the national strike on Tuesday November 24th, the normal operations of Waterford City Council will be severely disrupted and most offices and services will be closed for the day.

If you have a serious non-fire emergency on Tuesday please ring the Council’s emergency number 051-875555. For the Fire Brigade, please ring the normal emergency number at 999 or 112

The Council’s refuse collection customers whose bins are collected on Tuesday should note the following changes to this week’s collection: If your calendar says Wheeled Bin Collection 3 at the top, your bin will be collected on Thursday 26th November.

All other bins due for collection on Tuesday will be collected on Wednesday 25th November. For any queries on the Bin Collections please ring 051-849563.

I hope this is also in the local papers cause not everyone would have internet access.

AdMMM wrote: »
    You do realise that not everyone wants to strike but have been forced to take a days holidays for fear of being lambasted by their colleagues for passing the picket?
    That's a very good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Its on liveline right now too, Newry busier than ever today. Also a Dublin taxi driver is on saying business last night was triple what it is usually on a Monday night!

Unbelieveable...

The public sector are overpaid to begin with. Switch to a privatized bin company*, they'll be wishing they stuck with what they had when they're left with nothing.

* This post sponsored by Mr. Binman

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Its on liveline right now too, Newry busier than ever today. Also a Dublin taxi driver is on saying business last night was triple what it is usually on a Monday night!

Unbelieveable...

Its great their spending all their money in another country by going to Newry so we (they) get no benefit and they are ****ing up their compaign by doing what they are doing as it looks like they just did it for a day off.

*clap* *clap*
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Tellox wrote: »
    The public sector are overpaid to begin with. Switch to a privatized bin company*, they'll be wishing they stuck with what they had when they're left with nothing.

* This post sponsored by Mr. Binman

Mr. Binman has hardly been free from industrial relations problems have they?

People could easily live on half their wages if they didn't have to pay the banksters usury to buy a house. How much money floods out of this country that ends-up in the City of London and Wall Street? They've even got the government out robbing for them now.

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Tellox never said they didn;t, fact remains they are not striking now so your trash WILL be collected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

People could easily live on half their wages if they didn't have to pay the banksters usury to buy a house. How much money floods out of this country that ends-up in the City of London and Wall Street? They've even got the government out robbing for them now.

Aye, things were so much better in the ol Soviet Union :rolleyes:

Aye, things were so much better in the ol Soviet Union :rolleyes:

At least they put men in space, Ireland got as far as cloud cuckoo land.

• Advertisement

At least they put men in space, Ireland got as far as cloud cuckoo land.

Bill Cullen is booked to be one of the first passengers to take a flight into space on Richard Bransons Virgin Galactic

And FAS put loads of money into trying to secure positions within NASA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its great their spending all their money in another country by going to Newry so we (they) get no benefit and they are ****ing up their compaign by doing what they are doing as it looks like they just did it for a day off.

*clap* *clap*
    :rolleyes:

you know for a fact these are all strikers goin shopping??:rolleyes:

As mentioned above, I never said they had been. Mr. Binman paid his binmen minimum wage - which is deserving of a role which requires little to no expertise. Public Sector refuse collectors are above minimum wage - and can make a lot more than people who used degrees to earn their working roles if they were to stick with after hours street cleaning. Along with this comes their pension and holiday benefits.

The private sector NEED to make a profit on what they do. While I do agree that such services such as Gardaí, Nurses etc obviously need government subsidization, I'd be much happier if stuff such as refuse collection moved to an almost entirely private sector.

Other roles such as Gardaí, Nurses etc are horrendously overpaid and underworked positions - friend of mine is only recently out of templemore, and he's earning far more money than anyone I know holding a degree or masters within his general age bracket. And with their pay rise structure, he'll still be earning far more than them in ten years time.

And then teachers.. definitely not an easy job, but if you offered me 9am-4pm, weekends off, 3 months paid vacation a year, along with pension benefits? I'd happily take that with minimum wage.

While Nurses don't come in on a jawdropping wage, I know some who worked their way up around €25 an hour. 37hr weeks, fantastic holiday and pension benefits? Not that their job isn't hard, but ****ed if it's €25 an hour hard.

And then the cheek of the protesters to head up the north to do their shopping on their supposed strike day? Right, so let's get this straight - you want to continue extorting the Irish Government in order to fund British business? Come off it. I'm of course aware that not all the strikers went to Newry - but anyone who's trying to state that it was a total minority who did do so obviously didn't see the news report on it last night.

I've sympathy for the few who are on low wages and suffering - but zero sympathy for the public sector as a group. The days of overly comfortable living without hard work are over. Either quit, or get used to it.

AdMMM wrote: »

Thats fair enough but that group would not account for the amounts going up north yesterday. A number of which I'm sure were ASTI members who finished there one day stirke at 10am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Typhoon. wrote: »

not all strikers, but read the papers, the stories are all over it....
    a lot of them did go shopping...... as most strikers only where on 2 hour strike shift protests......

It was an absolute disgrace....

And the bullying from the unions is unacceptable, I have heard many people say they didn't want to strike but did anyway for fear of how their union rep and collegues would treat them.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭barongreen

no bins collected in my estate in swords yesterday , well pissed off.

barongreen wrote: »
    no bins collected in my estate in swords yesterday , well pissed off.
    BaronGreen (no relation), I hear ya buddy. I'm in the same boat. I'm praying the bin will be collected and emptied when I go home this evening. I put the full to the brim bin out monday night because the bins would normally be collected early tuesday mornings. I had forgotten about the strike and it was late when I came home monday night. The strong winds over the last two nights opened it and 1/4 of the contents got scattered along my road yesterday and this morning. It was embarrassing walking around collecting my rubbish from peoples gardens. Luckily it was recyclable stuff and not smelly manky rubbish.

Typhoon. wrote: »

You know for a fact that none did? :D

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I'm sure a lot did....and they're not the first people go north.... and they wont be the last.. i just think its unfair its being reported as though they were all strikers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Many families might have taken the chance to go shopping as the kids had an enforced day off.

Advertisement