Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting oak flooring into a 100 year old house...

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a friend who has a 100 year old house with a tiled floor with no insulation under it, and its far from level. He wants to put a 18mm oak solid wideboard (90mm) floor down on battens over the tiled floor, and does not want to lift the tiles as they are very difficult to take up. He will be able to level the battens with a bit of tedious work.

Can anyone advise on the best membrane to put under the oak floor? Is it possible to do this without having the floor warp?

Thanks if you can help.

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Is the floor 100% dry. If not the wood will lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the floor is almost definitely not 100% dry, as it is a 100 year old floor with no insulation below it. My friend has suggested putting a polythene damp proof membrane under the battens?

thanks,

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a similar situation in a 160yo house that I renovated. Your friend would be far better off digging out that floor, laying a damp-proof membrane, with as much insulation as possible & then pouring a concrete floor.

If he lays a DPC under the battens - how will he fix the battens without puncturing the polythene? Waste of time tbh.

Also, the underfloor insulation will save him a fortune in heating costs in the years to come.

Advertisement