Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Career in Standup Comedy (Londonderry)

Options

Comments

Carlinftw...speaking as someone that spent many months with your idol George Carlin and had to watch people walk out on his shows that He'd spent months working on in 2005 ...I can safely say your material is irrelevant

This was your first gig,the filming was horrid,the material was weak and drew few laughs....so please save your misspent arrogance til later,your already losing people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

I love the ironic boastfulness of the first post. Where's Londonderry:confused: Is it halfway between London and Derry, like is it another name for the Isle of Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

This was your first gig,the filming was horrid,the material was weak and drew few laughs....so please save your misspent arrogance til later,your already losing people ;)

Good point. Well made. Concise. He'll ignore that one...
    carlinftw wrote: »
    Particularly when I see such negative reactions and outright slagging.

Like your first post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No, just no.
    AND it's Derry NOT Londonderry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

baz2009 wrote: »
    No, just no.

If thats his home town he can call it what he likes tbh

He doesnt know where it actually is but thats another story

By the way ftw its lucky you dislike the free staters, as id say anyone who books gigs in the freestate and read this will probably have added you to thier ignore list by now

and thats not the money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 carlinftw

Like your first post?

My first post was my big opening. No wonder you can't seem to appreciate it. And you'll notice that unlike you guys I didn't keep it up for pages and pages. Also - even if you guys were joking this whole time (and I suspect you're not), it's gotten real old now, don't you think?
    This was your first gig,the filming was horrid,the material was weak and drew few laughs....so please save your misspent arrogance til later,your already losing people wink.gif

Yet another satisfied costumer. Are you just going to continue bashing me like the rest or do you actually have anything positive to contribute to this thread?
    No, just no.
    I suggest you educate yourself. Not everybody calls it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i liked it very much,i could see you were nervous at the start,and your timing at first was a little off,but when once you connected with them ,it was very good,with a little more experience you will certainly make a good living out of it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Have to admit I'm still asking myself if this thread is genuine - but for what it's worth, it certainly is entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Rondolfus wrote: »
    I've been waiting all my life to see a funny unionist......I'm still waiting.......

I've seen one!!

I was out for a stroll and they were marching for some thought up reason and one of them slipped on dog sh*t and landed in it! :eek: It was all over his leg (and his bowler hat fell off....but not into the sh*t :().

Rover was bought a ribeye steak that night instead of the usual pedigree chum for that little masterpiece :D

getz wrote: »
    i liked it very much,i could see you were nervous at the start,and your timing at first was a little off,but when once you connected with them ,it was very good,with a little more experience you will certainly make a good living out of it,

Thanks very much. Glad to see someone here likes my work.

Aside from you, there have only been two people (to the best of my knowledge) that have given me some constructive criticism. Is it really that much of an ask guys?

• Advertisement

Is it really that much of an ask guys?

maybe if you didn't barge your way onto the board like such a [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL] people may have had more time for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 abapchad

Devastator wrote: »
    maybe if you didn't barge your way onto the board like such a tw@t people may have had more time for you

So we're resorting to name calling now is it

abapchad wrote: »
    So we're resorting to name calling now is it

you set the tone with your original post....oh wait, sorry of course your one of his 'friends' who has just happened to have signed up, hardly posted and is backing him up :rolleyes:

Lets have a look back at the very 1st paragraph in this whole thread....I don't even need to copy in the whole paragraph to make my point!
    "So not too long ago I was in a pub in Great Britain's own Londonderry. Having watched your national television paddies, I thought it would be fun to pretend to be like one of those fools on RTE. For one, at least my material is original; surely even the free staters in the audience would have a good laugh."

Devastator wrote: »
    Lets have a look back at the very 1st paragraph in this whole thread....I don't even need to copy in the whole paragraph to make my point!
    "So not too long ago I was in a pub in Great Britain's own Londonderry. Having watched your national television paddies, I thought it would be fun to pretend to be like one of those fools on RTE. For one, at least my material is original; surely even the free staters in the audience would have a good laugh."

Dude that was four pages ago. I said it was all only in good fun and there was no real harm meant by any of it. Obviously you're not quick enough to notice I haven't kept that kind of thing up.

It is other people in this thread who have done that. You can cherry pick that one post I made, (which you simply failed to understand) and use it as your entire basis to attack me... - get real pal. I've made over 20 posts since. Let's bring the discussion forward, not backwards, shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Dude that was four pages ago. I said it was all only in good fun and there was no real harm meant by any of it. Obviously you're not quick enough to notice I haven't kept that kind of thing up.

Maybe you think there was no harm meant but I find it offensive... and not in the funny way. I'm literally just waiting for a good reason to lock this now.

Dord wrote: »
    Maybe you think there was no harm meant but I find it offensive... and not in the funny way. I'm literally just waiting for a good reason to lock this now.

Well look, I'm sorry that I offended you (and others by the looks of it). I'll admit that perhaps I should have given more thought to my opening post. But what's done is done. I can't exactly hit undo. At the moment I'm just trying to salvage something positive from this thread (like constructive criticism about my act or tips for my next act). It's disheartening to see that even in trying to do that people have tried to knock me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Have you any Dublin dates? I'd love to go and see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I can't exactly hit undo.

Try the edit button for a start.

I seriously think most of the comments here are serious - even if their negative everyone heres just telling the truth tbh. Theres no point lying saying you were good.

Honestly, good luck. You just need to change your attitude and accept peoples opinions.

*im just going to sit here and wait for you to ramble on about your two friends in this thread then blah blah blah contructive criticism blah blah :rolleyes: *

rizzee wrote: »
    Try the edit button for a start.

I seriously think most of the comments here are serious - even if their negative everyone heres just telling the truth tbh. Theres no point lying saying you were good.

Honestly, good luck. You just need to change your attitude and accept peoples opinions.

*im just going to sit here and wait for you to ramble on about your two friends in this thread then blah blah blah contructive criticism blah blah :rolleyes: *

I was honestly thinking of doing that, but I thought it might be deceptive practice and do more harm than good. You see for people who started viewing the thread later than the rest, the discussion that followed my original post probably wouldn't fit at all.

Well I didn't know what to make of the comments at times. A lot of them were basically along the lines of "you suck". So I honestly have no idea whether this person just has it in for me or what because quite a lot of people didn't elaborate as to why they disliked my act. That's what I've been talking about when I said 'constructive criticism'.

And cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Good job so far as you caused enough commotion for people to go and raise the views on your youtube vid.

Have you a bet with a mate that you'll reach a certain amount of views?

• Advertisement

Good job so far as you caused enough commotion for people to go and raise the views on your youtube vid.

Have you a bet with a mate that you'll reach a certain amount of views?
    Where are you even getting that from? My youtube channel was just started for friends and family and the like, not to make the front page of youtube. It's my live act I'm more concerned about, which is why I posted the video.

Dord wrote: »

how about a friendly request? Dord, will you please close this thread? :)
    A lot of them were basically along the lines of "you suck". So I honestly have no idea whether this person just has it in for me or what because quite a lot of people didn't elaborate as to why they disliked my act. That's what I've been talking about when I said 'constructive criticism'.

you suck, because in my opinion you are a boring [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL] who should feel angry towards his career's teacher!

there, elabrated constructive criticism! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FishNChipsNews

thats just pish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

On a scale of 1 to 10 that was fail.

Just watched the original video of your stand up,thought I'd throw in my 2 cents

So the crowd can be heard 7 times,during the video

It takes 75 seconds for the first mild chuckle to arrive from the crowd,this is in response to your use the word "fuc*ing" ....

30 secs later the word "fuc*ing" draws another laugh from about 4 people

at the 2:36 mark - 3 girls can be heard laughing at the voice that comes from the machine,no idea what it says due to poor sound quality

at 2.50 3 people give a mild chuckle,

at 3:10 one person laughs,presumably a relative

3:40 a lone female laughs,then quickly tries to cover it up with a cough,presumably in a bid to hide her embarassment

and finally at 4:19 another lone person almost laughs

Assuming you had friends in the crowd...such as the guy whose doing the filming on his mobile,thats fairly abysmal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 iownaface

i genuinely think we're being had here. this has to be a some form of a joke. but if not...

im not gona point out that people weren't laughing or get too harsh on the act itself- im not a comedian, and think it takes courage to get up and try it. if ive gathered anything from this stand up page, practise makes good...if not always perfect... harsh criticism of a first act is likely to scare the ****e outa other up&comers reading this... making them think they need to be jerry seinfeld or george carlin on their first night.

i didnt like the act. the material wasnt funny- it seemed try-hard on one hand, and went abslutely nowhere on the other. it looked uncomfortable. id partly blame the fact you used an alter-ego with no endearing quality- or anything to differentiate it from 'just another guy'- its just a way to pass off some poor material as someone thats not you. look at steve coogan's Alan Partridge, or Caroline Ahern's Mrs Merton....both genius characters - hatable and lovable in the same breathe. I just dont see the appeal in anyway of your character. On the other hand, the material/ style just wasnt for me.

As for complaining about abuse here- first impressions- You came here acting like a total p****, and so, you're gona be treated like one. If that intro was part of your character, id dump it straight off. it hasnt worked. The reaction should be constructive enough for you- people dont like it. I wouldnt go to see you if your material was good....
    and just to ask.... if the intro was part of an alter-ego...where was the joke?

and to maybe back you up a bit- maybe reacting to offensive comments with the exact same standard of offensive comment isnt the right way... not trying to pick any fights or get into a PC/not PC debate....but this thread has the potential to go farcically wrong...

why cant we all just get along...i hate to see you guys arguing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 iownaface

Well I thought stand up was all about pushing the social boundaries a little by talking about controversial topics. All the big comedians do it, right? Maybe I pushed the bounds a bit too far?

also...just on this point...i think it was RobbieBonhams great post on the main page here that explains the deal here. as a non-comedian, id have to agree. pushing boundaries is fine....but as a punter, id like to have respect for the person on the stage before he starts teaching me about the world. there's a difference also with pushing boundaries and just talking about edgy topics.

again, im not a comedian...but as a punter.... id say endear yourself to the audience...get a bit of confidence on the stage, and then try change the world.... but even then.... with better material..

(well look at me...deciding im the comedy buddha...)... guys in the know...feel free to shout me down here...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr Mo

Ok, well in my opinion for your first performance i thought that your act was ok.

Allow me to explain:
    You went up on stage for five min and even though there wasn't a great response from the audience you still delivered your material in a very confident manner.
    I would imagine doing comedy isn't easy and when performing in front of such a quiet crowd it can be very difficult to keep your nerve.

I have a few ideas for your act.
    Try opening with something like "here is norm winters reporting live from 'whatever venue'". This will make the act seem more in touch with the audience. You can always follow this up with the lovely audience comment.

Also since your only starting infront of a live audience, don't pick a topic that offends people. Since your only starting out your not going to have a big audience so if you offend one or some of them your creating a tension in the room that will be difficult to recover from.

Next you need an opener. In your video you said like half your monologue before coming to a joke. You need a joke at the start. Something to get the crowd warmed up at the start of your act because if it takes ages to get to your first joke the audience tunes out and will end up missing it.

Dont be afraid to practice your act on people before taking to the stage. Rehersing it well is one thing, but you need to practice the comic timing on people to see their reactions. You can learn off your material but you have to practice your timing.

Good luck norm!

• Advertisement

Here's a routine based on a similar concept,that I'm sure you could learn a lot from :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement