Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Beginners Log

• 24-11-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have been reading a lot of threads from seasoned runners - you know the type, those guys that do a triathlon on their lunch break - so I thought during my near cardiac run last night, why not start my own log. I'll leave myself open to ridicule but I don't mind.
    My ultimate goal is to run the DCM next year with some races in between so I'm hoping this diary will give me the inspiration of sorts and make the boring work day, well, less boring!
    Please bear in mind when reading (if anyone gives a damn) that I spent a good month out with a hamstring injury.
    So hear it goes:

23/11/09

3 min warm up run
    1 mile - 8.30 mins
    1 min breather
    1 mile - 9 mins
    1 min breather
    1 mile - 9 mins

Last night was very much an ease myself into it night as its been a while. I'll continue like this for a couple of weeks and lash up the mileage.

Thanks for taking the time to read this nonsense :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Welcome and good luck!

Are you following a specific program yet or just working by feel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Excaptain

Welcome and good luck!

Are you following a specific program yet or just working by feel?

Thanks Amadeus.

For the next few weeks it will be just by feel. I also have a very do-able half marathon training plan from Hal Higdon. I would like to run 10 miles consistently for a few weeks for my long run and then start a full marathon plan.

Am I going about this the right way?

Whatever way works is teh right way!

The only comment I would have is that it might be better to start slower and try to run without the breaks. No point in running an 8:30 if you have to stop after it - better to run a 9:30 and keep going for another one. Lots of people start off running too fast (or try to run as fast as they ran pre-injury). If you're looking to build stamina slow and steady would be my advice. But thats just opinion, like I said whatever works for you!

I appreciate the advice thank you. I find it very hard to slow down, not sure why. I have no problem coming to a complete stop!!
    I'll do that though. Leave the fast pace to the real runners ;)

Excaptain wrote: »
    I appreciate the advice thank you. I find it very hard to slow down, not sure why. I have no problem coming to a complete stop!!
    I'll do that though. Leave the fast pace to the real runners ;)

I was reading my old log the other day. 1st run recorded in it is 3 miler on the 25/04/05 which took 28:17, or 9:25/mile. So if you're not a "real runner" then neither am I! No such thing as a "real" runner - if you run you're a runner. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Good luck with the log Excaptain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck with the log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Leave the fast pace to the real runners ;)

good luck with the training and the log.
    i can assure there are lots of 'not real runners / triathletes'
    here who are very competent runners and triathletes, if you know what i mean.

but it all starts with those first few miles..........regularly!

Enjoy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck Excaptain. Start small, and work up from there. Thats how we all did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Excaptain. I started a log here around this time last year and my aim was also to do the DCM within the year. I can honestly say I would have not achieved it without the advice and support I got from people reading my log. I look forward to reading of your progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck Excaptain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck excaptain.
    Have you any specific races in mind to work towards?

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck excaptain.
    Have you any specific races in mind to work towards?

Hi guys
    First of all, thanks for all the good wishes and advice.
    In terms of races prior to the DCM - nothing concrete. I'll run the half in September but I will look out and see what the running calender is like in 2010. If there is a calender of events can someone direct me to it?

Right. Tuesday. I stayed in and watched the shambles that is Liverpool Football Club struggle to beat possibly the worst team in the CL. I should have done the ironing or perhaps studied for the 2 hours. Please tell me what is the point in playing two holding midfielders against a sh*t team?! Anyway, bye, bye Rafa.

I had a run last night. Very enjoyable.......as follows:

25/11/09

4 min warm up.
    2 miles - 18min 30
    1 mile - 9min 30

I'll be out again tonight. The plan is to run the same as last night or run the 3 miles straight. I'll see how the body is on the run.

Thanks for listening
    Nigel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Have a look at www.runireland.com for races. It's worth keeping a regular eye on as some of the smaller races don't pop up there til quite close to the event. The A/R/T events page here is also a good source.

littlebug wrote: »
    Have a look at www.runireland.com for races. It's worth keeping a regular eye on as some of the smaller races don't pop up there til quite close to the event. The A/R/T events page here is also a good source.

Thanks littlebug. I'll have a look on that site.

Thanks again
    Nigel

26/11/09

4 min warm up run
    2 miles - 18 min 30 - with a shocking stitch :(
    1 miles - 9 min

I need to find a flatter route. The last mile is a killer as its all uphill as is a lot of the two miler.
    I'll walk home this evening. I think its between 4-5 miles from Ballsbridge to sunny Santry. 'Long' run on Saturday :D - 3 miles.

Have a good weekend folks
    Nigel

27/11/09

I walked home from work. It took about 1 hour 15mins. That is shy of 5 miles. Not bad.

29/11/09

4 min warm up run
    2 miles - 18 min
    1 miles - 9 min

The same again tonight. I'm enjoying this :D

I missed the last two days. I thought I felt a cold coming along so stayed indoors.
    It passed though so I went out last night.

02/12/09

4 mins warm up

2 miles - 17min 30

1 mile - 9 mins

I hope to get out tonight with the plan being to run 2 * 2 miles on a flatter route (the hills are a killer!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I hope to get out tonight with the plan being to run 2 * 2 miles on a flatter route (the hills are a killer!)
    The beauty of living in Santry...all runs have an uphill back home:D
    Try going across towards Coolock as this is a little easier than coming from Griffith Ave direction. Although remember, the uphill sections are working to help you even more (Although they're not too bad really!).
    Anyways, best of luck with the log and the targets along the way!

belcarra wrote: »
    The beauty of living in Santry...all runs have an uphill back home:D
    Try going across towards Coolock as this is a little easier than coming from Griffith Ave direction. Although remember, the uphill sections are working to help you even more (Although they're not too bad really!).
    Anyways, best of luck with the log and the targets along the way!

Thanks belcarra.
    Yeah I'm going to run towards Northside SC, up to Artane, onto The Beaumont House ( I won't stop for a quick pint) & on to Santry Stadium.
    The hills help but it can be an effort sometimes!
    Thanks again
    Nigel

• Advertisement

03/12/09

4 min warm up
    2 miles - 17.30
    1.5 miles - 14.00

I'll head out tomorrow, looking forward to it already ;)

Well needless to say but I didn't make it out the next day or at all last week.
    No reason in particular although I did sit an exam last Tuesday.

Anyway my log for last week reads:

Fri 11/12/09 - Walked home from work, approx 5 miles in 1 hr 15ish

Sat 12/12/09 - Played 90 mins on a pitch that could only be described as Navan racecourse after 6 inches of rain the night before and a 12 card meeting prior to kickoff.......muddy! We lost too and I have spent the last couple of days walking around like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz! I'm 32 but I think I might have to hang up the boots. To be fair, I guess, that was my first game back since pulling a hamstring in Oct. It can only get better :eek:

Oh and to top it all off my battery has died on my Garmin Forerunner 50. If anyone knows where to get a replacement please tell me. I tried Garmin, Ebay and a general Google but nothing!

Lets hope for a more productive week this week. I won't be out tonight though! Oh and apologies for the ramble, I can go on a bit!!!

Nigel

Finally I went out, glad I did too. More of the same tonight :D

16/12/09

4 min warm up

3.53 miles - 31.51 mins

I felt good doing it. Rather than stop at a certain distance I think I'll just keep running.

17/12/09

4 min warm up

3.39 miles - 30.48

I'm seriously think of extending my distance next week. I felt great the last two nights.

Have a good weekend folks

20/12/09

3 min warm up

4.01 miles - 37.05

That was easier than I thought. I'm enjoying this a lot. I have a good break over Christmas so I'll be out a fair bit. Roll on DCM 2010 :P

27/12/09

The hardest two miles ever. No energy at all. I'll put it down to the excesses of Christmas. Very slippery underfoot too which didn't help.

Anyway, 2.03 miles 17 mins 14.

Well crap on it anyway. The weather is playing havoc with the plan. I have not had a run since the 27th. Anyway, as I'm not a member of a gym I'll have to settle for a long walk until the weather improves.

04/01/2010

5 miles - approx 1 hr 15mins (Walk!!)

I'll do the same tonight just to be doing something.

I weighed myself too. I'm 13st 4lbs. Hopefully I'll get this down to closer to 12st by the end of Feb?

Well I did the same again last night:

05/01/2010

Weather permitting I'll continue that for the rest of the week.

Well I did the same again last night:

05/01/2010

Weather permitting I'll continue that for the rest of the week.

Same again today. Tough walking in the snow :(

• Advertisement

This log is starting to look a bit pathetic! It's almost 3 weeks since I went for a run. At least I can blame the weather!

Well I set out a plan for the next 10/11 weeks. The end of which I will be running ten miles for my Sunday long run.

I walked home last night (13/01/10) 1hr 10 mins, just shy of 5 miles. I'd rather be running though.

I'll head out tonight, without fail :)

Advertisement