Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the civil servant parking spaces be scrapped?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Riskymove wrote: »
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I am glad to see someone's filling in for Jimmmy

or IS jimmmy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

gurramok wrote: »
    Do you know what the ranting forum is about? Good heavens.

Yep, had one or two good rants there myself, most refreshing!
    Where did i say i was a 'victim'?

I never said you were a victim, I essentially postulated that you gave the sense of one.
    Then what part of the 13,000 subsidised car parking spaces do you disagree with?

I agree that free parking is a 'perk' to a certain extent but with no credible alternative in regards to public transport, the current option is the only viable (€ 200) one left open. My point in all this is the focus on the Public Sector was unnecessary and heavy handed when the Private Sector are also culpable in provision of free parking albeit not on the same scale as the Public Sector.
    Are you trolling? If you do not bother engaging a discussion, it speaks volumes.

Serious allegation that, I have engaged, in what I consider to be a rather mild manner, the discussion, if I caused offence it is only because of the long line of anti-Public Sector vitriol that is plaguing these threads.
    Finally you agree a MINORITY work in the 'wee' hours. So you agree with me, at last. More progress.

I never disagreed either, I want to see both sides of the current divide treated the same.
    OPW are against the public sector, nice one.

I answered that, I really don't like repeating myself.
    PS: stop breaking the quote system :P

There's a system!??:D

bridgitt wrote: »
    Glad you seemingly agree so that riskymoves statement ""most public servants use public transport, undoubtedly" holds no credibility.

His statement still stands true, especially in regards to most public servants. The groups I highlighted don't represent the majority. There are plenty of them who use public transport all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Rob67 wrote: »
    I agree that free parking is a 'perk' to a certain extent but with no credible alternative in regards to public transport, the current option is the only viable (€ 200) one left open. My point in all this is the focus on the Public Sector was unnecessary and heavy handed when the Private Sector are also culpable in provision of free parking albeit not on the same scale as the Public Sector.

So the core of the issue is that you object to the highlighting of this mostly taxpayer subsidised free parking to 13,000 public servants.

Now, what is your solution to get this section of employees out of their cars? (mine was to scrap the spaces OR make them pay for their spaces)

I never disagreed either, I want to see both sides of the current divide treated the same.

You've got this mixed up. That divide is not public vs private, its of the numbers who work in the wee hours of which I said the majority of PS workers do not work in the wee hours and you wholeheartedly agree.
    I answered that, I really don't like repeating myself.
    You refute as evidence supplied by the OPW, that's hypocritical as you are a stauch defender of the public sector.

So the core of the issue is that you object to the highlighting of this mostly taxpayer subsidised free parking to 13,000 public servants.

Now, what is your solution to get this section of employees out of their cars? (mine was to scrap the spaces OR make them pay for their spaces)

Of course I object, mainly due to the constant harassment.
    You've got this mixed up. That divide is not public vs private, its of the numbers who work in the wee hours of which I said the majority of PS workers do not work in the wee hours and you wholeheartedly agree.

Possibly.

You refute as evidence supplied by the OPW, that's hypocritical as you are a stauch defender of the public sector.

The 'evidence' of which you speak is a photocopy of a news report in a media organisation which is decidedly anti-Public Sector, quoting alleged OPW reports which are now out of date. So you can see why I doubt your source.

You are grasping at straws looking for more things to hurl at the Public Sector.

• Advertisement

Of course I object, mainly due to the constant harassment.

Now thats comedy there. I have every right as a taxpayer to know where my taxes are going and you call it harassment, class.

Still, what is your solution?
    The 'evidence' of which you speak is a photocopy of a news report in a media organisation which is decidedly anti-Public Sector, quoting alleged OPW reports which are now out of date. So you can see why I doubt your source..

Out of date, dated early 2008. Has there been dramatic changes in the number of spaces available?

By God, you do not provide any info for anything.

Now thats comedy there. I have every right as a taxpayer to know where my taxes are going and you call it harassment, class.

Still, what is your solution?

I have none, except to accept that what is being done to date, mind you it doesn't affect me any more as I have retired from the Public Sector and working in the Private in a job that means I don't have to travel into Dublin City.

Out of date, dated early 2008. Has there been dramatic changes in the number of spaces available?

There have been a number of changes, offices have been vacated chiefly by Finance who were in Mount St. And now you have the car park at Leinster House that has been returned to a lawn, all the staff are on a rotation for parking inside and those who don't, either pay for it in a public car park or use public transport. As a result of some of the more successful decentralisation plans a number of other offices have moved out of city into rural locations (Agriculture).
    By God, you do not provide any info for anything.

Why should I? You make a claim, I countered it using your 'evidence' which is based on media reports and lobby group calls.

Am I supposed to? Besides, the media won't provide me with contradictory evidence unlike the 'evidence' it provides you. Consider that I am taking a leaf out of the anti-Public Sector lobby; shout loud enough and often enough eventually it will be believed'.

Anyhow, unlike you I am not as vociferous as you to go out of my way to prove a point, I generally don't have the time. Today has been an exception, as I was off. But it has been fun!

I have none, except to accept that what is being done to date, mind you it doesn't affect me any more as I have retired from the Public Sector and working in the Private in a job that means I don't have to travel into Dublin City.

So you don't care. Then in future, don't rant about congestion if you do!

There have been a number of changes, offices have been vacated chiefly by Finance who were in Mount St. And now you have the car park at Leinster House that has been returned to a lawn, all the staff are on a rotation for parking inside and those who don't, either pay for it in a public car park or use public transport. As a result of some of the more successful decentralisation plans a number of other offices have moved out of city into rural locations (Agriculture).

How many spaces out of 13,000?
    Why should I? You make a claim, I countered it using your 'evidence' which is based on media reports and lobby group calls.

Am I supposed to? Besides, the media won't provide me with contradictory evidence unlike the 'evidence' it provides you.

Nothing to do with the original OPW report been correct that you cannot provide any evidence to contest the original figures. Co-incidence.

So you don't care. Then in future, don't rant about congestion if you do!

Oh, but I do care!

As far as I know, I am quite entitled to make observations if I so desire. You can't direct what I can and cannot do.

How many spaces out of 13,000?
    I haven't a breeze, don't work in the Public Sector any more.

Nothing to do with the original OPW report been correct that you cannot provide any evidence to contest the original figures. Co-incidence.

What original report? The one that is mentioned in the paper clipping photocopy?

We can go around and around if you want, but I warn you; I'm a terrible dancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

The government is bankrupt, is trying to reduce people driving into the city centre and increase public transport usage. The very least they should do is match their parking space allocation with what the private sector do. If they had a bit of cop on they would get rid of ALL parking spaces and use the money to promote walk/cycling/public transport to work, which would encourage other companies to do the same and save us money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

OP No the car parking spaces should be retained - its the civil servants who should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

lots of employers provide parking for staff, why should the PS be any different?

Becasue we are paying for it and it is a massive perk in places like central Dublin. In the case of the Private sector the worker is generating wealth and paying for it. The PS workers are spending 28 hours a week filling their timesheets and expense claim forms, why do they need to even bother going to work when they actually do very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

I really have to take my hat off to the Govt. In conjunction with the right-wing media in this country they have managed to turn the whole focus of the real problem in the country( themselves) onto the PS workers.

It seems to be a crime in this country if

A, You havent taken a pay cut
    B, You are paid more than some random worker in Finland
    C, You have a decent pension

and now, which I have to say is my personal favourite

D, You have a car-parking space in the city

When are all the spinless idiots, who simply bend over and allow themselves to be rode, going to realise that the root of this problem is still running the bloody country.

The PS workers didnt get FF elected all by themselves, if boards is so representative then at least a large proportion of the non-PS posters must of voted for them. When you did the last time it was in the full knowledge that we were heading for trouble, that they allowed benchmarking to happen and that they were corrupt. NO sympathy for anyone who voted these idiots in.

The PS workers are entitled to strike for their rights and at least they have the courage to stand up and be counted as opposed to a bunch of keyboard warriors complaining that someone has a car parking space in the city. If you had any sense at all you would be out trying to bring this Govt down and then vote in which ever party you feel will do the best job at rebuilding this country.

Car-parking:rolleyes:

Next it will be a rant against subsidised canteens. Grow the **** up

Good to hear a taxi driver having no problem with congestion then, must be great for business. Those bus lanes are magical.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58913280&postcount=60 . Now those bus lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Good to hear a taxi driver having no problem with congestion then, must be great for business. Those bus lanes are magical.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58913280&postcount=60 . Now those bus lanes

If it was about congestion I would be saying nothing, but its just another anti-PS rant. And just lol digging up that quote ,which serves what purpose exactly?? Epic fail imo

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    If it was about congestion I would be saying nothing, but its just another anti-PS rant. And just lol digging up that quote ,which serves what purpose exactly?? Epic fail imo

Bus lanes = smooth traffic flow for you to conduct your business.

A taxi-driver supporting congestion, hypocritical. Epic fail there.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

stepbar wrote: »
    Who creates the money to pay the wages?

The same people who are paying bankers their wages ?

Advertisement