Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raison D'etre for Boards.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its interesting that the word "free" isnt used in the mission statement yet its one of the core values of the site. Membership is free, thus all are welcome to post as long as you obide by the rules. The rules dont have to detailed in the mission statement, but a reference to the site rules or charter.

The whole "The membership is a privilege which can be revoked" comment does sit right with me.

Im not a wordy person but something along the lines of "Membership to the site is free and all are welcome to post. Membership is considered a privilege as long as the rules and charter of the site, as well as other members, are respected".

Like I say, im not wordy, but reference to respect for fellow members is a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well its still true:

"Boards.ie is NOT a Democracy. There is NO Free Speech. The Administration reserves the right to modify or exclude any content they wish."

I wouldnt regard that a tenet or core value, but its still true despite being a hard line. hence why trying to imply Users any sense of entitlement will only wind up coming back to haunt, again and again.

Frankly I see one Core Value and one only: Its a Discussion Board, and always will be, and will always strive to provide as much discussion as it can reasonably handle. Now Ye're Talkin'.

When people have Soccer Riots or try to Libel or Slander or Co-ordinate internet piracy - Im sure if it could it would! But it cant. The whole MCD thing brought it up - that some discussions have the rare potential of being able to shut Boards down and at the cost of the few topics Boards has been preserving many thousands more.

Now if boards had the power of Thor to whack out lawsuits left and right I'd love to see some of the more risque' discussion myself - but it doesnt, so we cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iWillBeReborn

Thaedydal wrote: »
    As more and more people get online boards is going to keep growing, this is invetible it's happening and it can't be stopped.

Well the admins could stop it they could just not let any more account be created but they don't want to do that, so it's gonna happen.

So these sort of discussions have to happen to that the communities we have aren't damaged and keep growing and ticking along with out intervention.

The ideology and philosophy of boards.ie, this is about enshrinement so that those and the values which stem form them are not lost along the way and people then leave the site and communities then falter and fail.

I have been reading the thread, I have been reading all the thread for the last 11 months around here watching boards grow and shift and evolve.

And I am not an oldskool member, those would be those who have a Feb 98 sign up date.

This is part of that, a lot of things will change, the site had to grown and evolve and it has to be let do that and a lot of it will happen driven by members making it their own talking about the things they want to talk about and using the site to make wonderful things happen in their life.

But if the site get swamped and it's essense/culture gets so diluted and it's idealogies lost, then what makes this place different and what draws people in will be lost and the site will end up going into decline.

To prevent this from happens and to be able to foster and support the organic growth of the site there has to be things written down.

At this whole place was an idea DeV had which someone told him couldn't be done and here we all are a decade later, I would like to think that this place or a reincarnation of this place will be still around in 20s years time but to make sure that happens the ideologies and philosophies of the site have to be played forward and that mean having them defined and written down.

And as this was all DeV's brain child the poor bastard has to try and attempt that I would not like to do it as it is in some ways ethereal and means many things to many people who have often no more in common with each other then their passion for this place and what it has brought into their lives.

While we can to a point document how things work around here, why it works is imho a bit of mystery.

You are over thinking this. You are to involved to see the reality. You even think oldskool needs a 98 date when really your previous posts relating to the "past" tell a different story.

It is just a website, really. SA is the same. The difference is DeV thinks that boards.ie is some how going to be the centre of Ireland as far as this website is concerned. People get to excited by nothing.

Like when Lisbon 1 was polled and boards.ie showed a similar vote. Well done. It was mentioned a lot. Not seeing much mention about the Lisbon 2 poll?

I like boards and always have but the illusion of grandeur is just that.

meh.
    DeVore wrote: »
    We are by far the biggest single public site in Ireland, its not even close. We already ARE the establishment in a sense. What I want to do is enshrine what is culturally unique about us so we dont forget that in the coming years. So that this island in the sun will exist and still have its basic tenets at its heart even if I'm dead.

DeV.

Ego.

Maybe let it go :) Let it just grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I like boards and always have...

12 days of happiness...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lisbon 2 we were the only source predicting the outcome even REMOTELY close with our exit poll. We predicted something like 61% Yes, which we got lambasted for left right and centre as being "Euro Centric".

Anyway, I'm going to rewrite the "membership" line into something better worded. i'll try and get a new draft written tomorrow if possible. Thanks all for the feedback, its helped me get this clearer in my head.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You are over thinking this. You are to involved to see the reality. You even think oldskool needs a 98 date when really your previous posts relating to the "past" tell a different story.

It is just a website, really. SA is the same. The difference is DeV thinks that boards.ie is some how going to be the centre of Ireland as far as this website is concerned. People get to excited by nothing.

Like when Lisbon 1 was polled and boards.ie showed a similar vote. Well done. It was mentioned a lot. Not seeing much mention about the Lisbon 2 poll?

I like boards and always have but the illusion of grandeur is just that.

meh.

Ego.

Maybe let it go :) Let it just grow.

I find the whole thing just a wee bit creepy - that you could invest your identity that much into a website and that you would think people are "passionate" about boards.ie.

"We are by far the biggest single public site in Ireland, its not even close. We already ARE the establishment in a sense. What I want to do is enshrine what is culturally unique about us so we dont forget that in the coming years. So that this island in the sun will exist and still have its basic tenets at its heart even if I'm dead. "

And this quote here is just so out there. I dont even know where to start with how out of proportion these sentiments are.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been working on Boards for a decade now. I believe and am passionate that in the next decade it will be even more important for us to have a civilian-driven broadcast/publication system. Thats supposed to be something like RTE but I dont like the way they are controlled (financially) by the government. Also, there seems to be little public involvement (what do you think Biggins chances of running his campaign against hospital closures on RTE would be??)

So, if you dont think that this is an important platform, I suggest you have a discussion with Biggins and get his opinion on it.

DeV.

It just sounded like you wanted to forge from the smithy of your soul the uncreated conscience of your race.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

People shouldn't read tolkien when they're stoned.

It just sounded like you wanted to forge from the smithy of your soul the uncreated conscience of your race.
    No. And its somewhat pot calling kettle black accusing me of hyperbole when you have had a few cases of it yourself :):p

However, would you disagree that our "race" (nationality) could do with a conscience? We've gotten to where we are with our politicians because they have forced a conspiracy of silence between journalist who either wont be paid, or wont be given access if they ask the wrong questions, not to mention a constraint on the Freedom Of Information act that China would be proud of.

The only thing I can see with enough power to break that, is the Internet. But it wont do it by itself, so, best to set something up while they havent noticed what we are up to, and "lock in" its independance and culture before someone comes along and tries to subvert its purpose.

I could rant on this topic for ages (decades?) but I need to get to rewritting that "Charter" or it will never get done. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

People shouldn't read tolkien when they're stoned.

Yeah, especially when they might confuse it for Tolkein when it is Joyce.

crocro wrote: »
    I'm going to summarise what i've just written above:
    Boards.ie aims to be the most popular Irish Internet forum. Discussions cover a wide array of topics from a diversity of viewpoints to entertain, educate and inform. All are free to contribute so long as they are civil and keep to the rules. The site is moderated by volunteer users picked by the administrators.

Boards.ie recognises that the political and corporate independence of its moderation is vital to the value of its content.

Users, moderators and administrators voluntarily edit and contribute to the site for their mutual benefit, the owners provide the systems and staff to run the site and aim to profit from the user content by means such as advertising.

Free speech on the site is not absolute: users must not post content that would expose the site to legal liability or damage its reputation.

Boards.ie aims to operate fairly and listen to its users but it is not a democracy - rather it is a hierarchy of owners, administrators, moderators and user contributors.
    I was just thinking I'd have to review the whole thread again Crocro.... many thanks, thats pretty concise and I may even steal some of your language there.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We've gotten to where we are with our politicians because they have forced a conspiracy of silence between journalist who either wont be paid, or wont be given access if they ask the wrong questions, not to mention a constraint on the Freedom Of Information act that China would be proud of.
    +10000000 Thats a thing that has always rankled me when people come on and go on about "freedom of speech" on boards(and other irish sites too). It rankles me that people dont seem to have a clue how little freedom of speech we have in this country. Mainly I would say, not through the force of law, but through lack of access or severely controlled access. I have seen that up close with mates who were journos. Most wouldnt credit the degree of constraint that goes on in this country and how many things get swept under the rug to the advantage of a pretty small group of people. I'm not being tin foil hat about this either. In fact those who freak out about 9/11 inconsistencies could do worse than look closer to home.
    The only thing I can see with enough power to break that, is the Internet.
    I agree and I am most certainly not one of those people who think the web will save us all guff either. I'm painfully aware of it's limitations, it's apparent voice etc, but I am also happily aware that as it drifet more into the everyday and not just the freaks and geeks playground it will make a difference. I hope a good one too. Especially in this country.
    But it wont do it by itself, so, best to set something up while they havent noticed what we are up to, and "lock in" its independance and culture before someone comes along and tries to subvert its purpose.
    +1 again. and I really hope someone like you and a place like this does it as it could go very easily pear shaped if one of the usual crew of conduits got their hands on it. Does this mean I agree with some things here? No. I agree with most things though and I'm a moany git. TBH up until maybe a year ago, I never posted here in feedback and the like. I think maybe once. I'm more invested for good or ill(mostly the latter:D) now because I do see places like boards making a diff. Even if that difference is people just chatting and meeting and all that stuff.
    I could rant on this topic for ages (decades?)
    Rant for ages? Sorry, rank amateur. I do night classes if you're interested? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lisbon 2 we were the only source predicting the outcome even REMOTELY close with our exit poll. We predicted something like 61% Yes, which we got lambasted for left right and centre as being "Euro Centric".

Anyway, I'm going to rewrite the "membership" line into something better worded. i'll try and get a new draft written tomorrow if possible. Thanks all for the feedback, its helped me get this clearer in my head.

DeV.

I am not being a smart arse but can you show me that poll?

In other news one day people will realise that all boards.ie is ...well is just an internet site run off vBulletin. Then they might realise they can run their own dedicated site to something like DIY/Motors or what ever.

Writing some biblical charter will be OK but you will still have feedback threads. You won't ever stop that no matter how well written the mission statement is. You will always p1ss someone off.

It is amazing how many people are in this thread as a percentage of the users.

On a side not vBulleting can shows active users under a criteria. Any chance of showing that standard stat? 30 day login?

Sure, give me a few days and I'll go better then that, sometime after Dec 1st and I'll post it here...

Meanwhile, here's that exit poll you were looking for. 61.58% for yes, sample size of ~700.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

No. And its somewhat pot calling kettle black accusing me of hyperbole when you have had a few cases of it yourself :):p

However, would you disagree that our "race" (nationality) could do with a conscience? We've gotten to where we are with our politicians because they have forced a conspiracy of silence between journalist who either wont be paid, or wont be given access if they ask the wrong questions, not to mention a constraint on the Freedom Of Information act that China would be proud of.

The only thing I can see with enough power to break that, is the Internet. But it wont do it by itself, so, best to set something up while they havent noticed what we are up to, and "lock in" its independance and culture before someone comes along and tries to subvert its purpose.

I could rant on this topic for ages (decades?) but I need to get to rewritting that "Charter" or it will never get done. :)

DeV.

I believe that you mean well and all I think that all this stuff sounds great, but in my opinion if there are a significant number of inconsistencies when it comes to discussion on certain key subjects then I think it can kinda cheapen or at least question the validity of talking about letting people have a place to speak with civility .

There seems to be different grades of forums where some have a somewhat less serious subject matter than others and of course different rules apply accordingly and in context. Civility in the Zombie Survival or Cork forum may be judged slightly differently compared to other forums. However, if one type of "conscience" is handled differently than an opposing one even with the same level of civility at play (in context of the forum) then it sorta calls into question the fairness and ultimately the whole point of a mission statement if not everyone is on side.

I dont expect it to cover every last exception or oddball forum, but I dont see why you would consider the Zombie Survival Forums any less civil then others. This is aspirational rather then binding. If you are saying the world wont be perfect after it, then I agree.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In other news one day people will realise that all boards.ie is ...well is just an internet site run off vBulletin. Then they might realise they can run their own dedicated site to something like DIY/Motors or what ever.

...and in other news Coca-Cola is just water with sugar in it, yet it's one of the biggest marques on the planet.

It's all about branding, marketing and reaching a critical-mass of users and not the technical nuts-and-bolts.

Sure, give me a few days and I'll go better then that, sometime after Dec 1st and I'll post it here...

Meanwhile, here's that exit poll you were looking for. 61.58% for yes, sample size of ~700.

DeV.

RE: Poll. Never saw that before. Not a bad reflection. Sorry :o

...and in other news Coca-Cola is just water with sugar in it, yet it's one of the biggest marques on the planet.

It's all about branding, marketing and reaching a critical-mass of users and not the technical nuts-and-bolts.

Oh no no no. Coca Cola is far more than sugar and water.

When was the last time you ordered a rum with sugar and water in it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh no no no. Coca Cola is far more than sugar and water.

When was the last time you ordered a rum with sugar and water in it?

High fructose corn syrup and water in the states.
    You know as somebody mentioned coke and marques New Coke is a particularly good study to look at in the context of this thread. Right there, a product that was re-manufactured in response to pepsi appearing and cutting hugely into Coke's market share based on the "Pepsi challenge".
    Everyone knows the pepsi challenge. A sip of one, a sip of the other and the pepsi invariably tasted better. Even Coke's own market research said that pepsi tasted better in the pepsi challenge.
    Hence, new coke.
    Trouble is, Pepsi, certainly designed to be a more pleasant sip, but if you're a consumer you're in it for an entire can or bottle. And Coke never thought to test Coke vs. pepsi when somebody is drinking an entire bottle. Coke's recipe subsequently proved far more palatable than Pepsi once you've drank a sellable volume of each.
    New coke is a perfect study into how somebody can fuck everything up by trying to solve a problem that may never have existed in the first place.
    /cackles and covers masked face with cape.
    /disappears into the rafters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pepsi Max FTW

High fructose corn syrup and water in the states.
    You know as somebody mentioned coke and marques New Coke is a particularly good study to look at in the context of this thread. Right there, a product that was re-manufactured in response to pepsi appearing and cutting hugely into Coke's market share based on the "Pepsi challenge".
    Everyone knows the pepsi challenge. A sip of one, a sip of the other and the pepsi invariably tasted better. Even Coke's own market research said that pepsi tasted better in the pepsi challenge.
    Hence, new coke.
    Trouble is, Pepsi, certainly designed to be a more pleasant sip, but if you're a consumer you're in it for an entire can or bottle. And Coke never thought to test Coke vs. pepsi when somebody is drinking an entire bottle. Coke's recipe subsequently proved far more palatable than Pepsi once you've drank a sellable volume of each.
    New coke is a perfect study into how somebody can fuck everything up by trying to solve a problem that may never have existed in the first place.
    /cackles and covers masked face with cape.
    /disappears into the rafters.

Then everyone wanted old coke back.So maybe everyone will want boards back sans le raison d'etre.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Then everyone wanted old coke back.So maybe everyone will want boards back sans le raison d'etre.
    Of course everyone wants Old coke back - it had Coke in it ffs! Youd be crazy not to want it back. *Sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DeV.

I saw to that:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672252
    :Smilie face:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Isn't boards a business now and it's Raison D'etre is to make monies for it's owners ?

Advertisement