Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early i9 tests (32nm 6 core Gulftown)

Options
  • 24-11-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

linky
    summary wrote:
    Summary
    The Gulftown processor can be briefly summarized using a military concept: shock and awe. Twelve threads and huge bandwidth put on a show of incredible computing performance. It is just that if Gulftown is the shock and awe, most readers are the citizens of a neighboring country that does not take part in the conflict. In domestic applications, with gaming on top, the four extra threads are of little importance to the efficiency and comfort. Core i7-900 is not the best processor for gamers and the new six-core is not much faster clock-to-clock. Gulftown is a processor for servers and workstations, not for gamers.

The average John Doe will probably be much more impressed by the 32 nm technology it was made with than the processor itself. Smaller, faster and more efficient transistors will allow Intel to build a system with significantly lower power consumption and higher power efficiency than today’s processors. Made using the 32-nanometer process technology, the dual-core Clarkdale processors are likely to appear on the shelves sooner than the Gulftown, and are bound to give a much mightier shake to the market than the high-end six-cores. We hope this article has given you some idea of what we can expect from Intel in the near future.

You folks like new tech :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I posted this in the hardware thread :p

It's over-clocking potential looks unreal. They didn't even test it properly yet they were able to push it as far as the voltages would allow them. If temps are as good as the reviewers found on the final product water cooling for performance could be a thing of the past :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I posted this in the hardware thread :p

It's over-clocking potential looks unreal. They didn't even test it properly yet they were able to push it as far as the voltages would allow them. If temps are as good as the reviewers found on the final product water cooling for performance could be a thing of the past :)
    bleh :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I'm really curious to see what price it release at ;)

There's a part of me that knows I'd love one, and the part that lives with my wallet that says, "Not today son."

There's a part of me that knows I'd love one, and the part that lives with my wallet that says, "Not today son."

hehe, yeah I know that feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And this ladies and gentlemen is the reason i bought a i5-750 :D

Say bye bye to 1336

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    And this ladies and gentlemen is the reason i bought a i5-750 :D

Say bye bye to 1336

Gulftown IS LGA1336 :rolleyes: And it's compatible with all current X58 according to Intel at least. :p

And this ladies and gentlemen is the reason i bought an i7-920 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Gulftown IS LGA1336 :rolleyes: And it's compatible with all current X58 according to Intel at least. :p

lmao, yep same here, its been know for 6 months now that Gulftown was 1366 only. Go 1366!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've had mobo's that supported newer cpu's when they first came out, but they never handled them very well. My 975 chipset mobo could handle a quad with a bios flash, it did, just about and I barely got any overclock beyond stock, same with the p35 mobo's (if mine didn't die) and penryn quads. The newer chipsets that come out along with the new cpu's always put them to shame, therefore its not a great idea to opt for a mobo just because it supports a future cpu as You'll always end up upgrading mobo in the end, always, You buy a new cpu, You'll end up buying a mobo

Live for today I say, there is no such thing as futureproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Yeah, no way in hell any sane person is gonna use a current Mobo to run Gulftown.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Yes the i9 is meant to be compatible with the X58 platform, however I did read (altho this was months ago) that they would initially be only offering the EE model on launch and since they are typically a grand and in this case with the extra cores may even be more.... thats a hefty price tag :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've had mobo's that supported newer cpu's when they first came out, but they never handled them very well. My 975 chipset mobo could handle a quad with a bios flash, it did, just about and I barely got any overclock beyond stock, same with the p35 mobo's (if mine didn't die) and penryn quads. The newer chipsets that come out along with the new cpu's always put them to shame, therefore its not a great idea to opt for a mobo just because it supports a future cpu as You'll always end up upgrading mobo in the end, always, You buy a new cpu, You'll end up buying a mobo

Nah, 975 is ancient so it would support the Q6600 quads but not the penryn quadcores, penryn dual cores should work fine on them, reason is Intel fecked up the spec for penryns and boards like the 680i even though it was socket 775 wouldnt work properly with it( no temp monitoring and no/very little overclocking ), same with older 9 series mobos. Asus 680i mobos would fully support penryns via a bios flash as they were hybrid mobos and not full 680i spec.
    P35 mobos handled any Q9 series penryn, i had my Q9550 @ 4Ghz+ on my old p5k pro p35 mobo.
    Unless intel screwed up Gulftown should work on the large majority of 1366 mobos, at least after a bios flash( thats not to say they havnt fecked up the spec again though ).

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Yeah, no way in hell any sane person is gonna use a current Mobo to run Gulftown.

I was mainly just trying to refute Anti's LGA1366 is dead bit. I'm very happy with my i7 920 and frankly, I'd have to be rolling in cash to be bothered upgrading.

But LGA1366 lives on! To the future and beyond! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

My point was, im not spending stupid money on a decent i7 now, when the i9 was out early next year. I never said the chip was 1156 ;)

Anti wrote: »
    My point was, im not spending stupid money on a decent i7 now, when the i9 was out early next year. I never said the chip was 1156 ;)

yeah, I copped that after a bit. my bad :pac: you did say bye bye to 1366 though which just had to addressed. :p

edit: btw has there been any mention of a release date for this thing? All i can see is Q2 2010 at the latest.

Advertisement