Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Kit Lens 18 - 55mm - Any good?

• 24-11-2009 12:45pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

I recently got a 40D with the 28-135mm lens but would like to get my hands on something wider. I see lots of the 18-55mm IS lenses on ebay / adverts.ie etc and they can be had fairly reasonable - less than €100 brand new.

What is the general opinion on them?

Are they good, bad or indifferent?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

excuse my language but they are sh*te. Even for me, amateur.

I would deffinetely stay with your one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I swapped mine for the EF-S 17-85 IS USM one to give me that big of a wider shot..
    I have a Canon 70-200 L F4 so I didn't lose out really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

While it's not a great lens I actually think it's somewhat under-rated.

It's a little soft at the wide end, non-usm so a bit slow to focus at times but certainly focuses faster than the 50mm 1.8, doesn't have a very wide aperature (the 3.5 ends to become 4 at about 19/20mm).

BUT: when you can get it for fifty euro or less on ebay, it's not a bad buy if you're not going to pixel-peep and won't be printing above A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sleepy wrote: »
    While it's not a great lens I actually think it's somewhat under-rated.

It's a little soft at the wide end, non-usm so a bit slow to focus at times but certainly focuses faster than the 50mm 1.8, doesn't have a very wide aperature (the 3.5 ends to become 4 at about 19/20mm).

BUT: when you can get it for fifty euro or less on ebay, it's not a bad buy if you're not going to pixel-peep and won't be printing above A4.

I got it as the kit lens with a 450D. As I was only starting out it seemed OK, but when you look back now you can see the difference between that lens an the f/2.8 17-55 which I now have on a 40D. But, as has already been said, how wrong can you go for sub-€100?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ever wonder why there is so many for sale at cheap prices? ;)

Canon 17 - 40mm is great!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I got it as the kit lens with a 450D. As I was only starting out it seemed OK, but when you look back now you can see the difference between that lens an the f/2.8 17-55 which I now have on a 40D. But, as has already been said, how wrong can you go for sub-€100?:)
    Got it the same way myself and can't afford to upgrade to the f/2.8 17-55, don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer that lens to it but if you're on a budget, it's not the worst lens... certainly a big improvement on the original 18-55 (the non IS version).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Yet a chap I know who also shoots a 40D thinks the 17-55 is crap - he hates it. Hard to know what to do. I'm kinda constrained with having nothing less than 28mm but maybe I'll hold out and see will Santa be kind.

Advertisement