Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Lucan?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Any club that advertises as a ''UFC'' club are most likely cowboys jumping on a bandwagon and should expect a legal letter from Dana. No harm saying ''styles scene in the UFC'' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I'm still finding it hard to believe that there really are guys out there who say they 'train UFC' and aren't taking the p^ss. :eek:
    TeddyDude wrote: »
    Actually, Irish MMA rules state that there are no head shots ie no punching, kicking, knees to the head. UFC this IS allowed, therefore they are different in Ireland
    Oh right, I see now. :rolleyes:

In fairness, I'm sure you and your instructors are nice guys and mean well, it just doesn't sound like you know all that much about MMA.
    Everything he has taught since hes done martial arts has been contact. MMA is a mixture of styes, hence the name mixed martial arts. the guy teaches shotokan, ryu shinto ryu ju jutsu, karate, judo, kempo, taekwondo, ryushin ju jutsu, brazilian ju jutsu, and many more.
    Does he have a belt in BJJ out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

@ Teddy dude. I trained with Tony for a good few years can you PM me who you are? Have nt trained with him in awhile due to life stuff and doing mma.

I was under the impression someone else was teaching the BJJ in his class?

OP I wont comment on his mma background but I will say that he is very approachable and not a waffler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TeddyDude

I was lookin at the page myself a couple days ago. Thought it was a lil fishy to see a club with a beginner class thats only been goin on a few weeks and looks like its teachin leg locks already.

The reason leg locks were being taught was because he was showing everyone what the upcoming months will hold. Its not the type of thing that will be going on every session, until everyone is ready. Im not his spokesman, and could never do him justice, just offering my opinion on the matter. So really if anyone doubts him and his credentials you should speak to the man yourself, its not fair to him to judge on what im telling you because im just a student, im not the man himself. So if you are serious about this the least you can do is see what he's got to offer, then make your mind up on him and what hes teaching. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭cletus

as his student, it would be very easy for you to ask him what belt he holds in bjj, and it should be equally easy for him to tell you what belt and who awarded it, no big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

cletus wrote: »
    @teddydude: seeing as you are the (perhaps unofficial) voice of the club on boards here, could you find out from Mr. Carrick what his credentials are with regard to the teaching of brazilian jiu jitsu. Ranking in this art is one of the most policed of all ma's, so verification of rank etc. would be very easy
    dunkamania wrote: »
    Not wanting to jump in on the hate fest, but if hes teaching BJJ, than he has presumably been training for a number of years, and presumably has graded to at least a blue belt level?
    the guy teaches brazilian ju jutsu, and many more.

All above your qoute have asked about BJJ qualifications and got no answer even though you said he teaches it.
    We've the top pro mma gym running bout 2-2 and a half years now.

Like you said we've a difference of opinion. I personally wouldn't train there and will say the same to any of my friends in Lucan.

Neither would i, maybe i would if i wanted to learn 1 of the arts he is trained to teach.
    "reply to ray above!"
    Well im sure we'll have lads competing against your lads soon enough :)
    Yeah that sounds good and we'll see what you's are all about.
    The reason leg locks were being taught was because he was showing everyone what the upcoming months will hold.
    As your a beginner to MMA we'll just put this down to lack of knowledge!

Nobody is knocking the guy personally but its confusing why people start MMA clubs when they have not trained or fought in MMA, i cant get my head around it and it makes me feel that the only reason is money.

Anyway this is closed as the op is happy with the answers given and will only be opened by request.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement