Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox??

• 24-11-2009 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey guys i'm new to this so please be kind....
    I'm thinking of buying my boyfriend an xbox for xmas but i'm so confused...
    xbox, xbox 360, whats the difference??
    Do games and controllers come with it or are they separate??
    How much should I be expecting to pay??

I really dont have a clue about any of this!!
    If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it, thanks:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

lilhelp wrote: »
    Hey guys i'm new to this so please be kind....
    I'm thinking of buying my boyfriend an xbox for xmas but i'm so confused...
    xbox, xbox 360, whats the difference??
    Do games and controllers come with it or are they separate??
    How much should I be expecting to pay??

I really dont have a clue about any of this!!
    If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it, thanks:o

Hiya, ok basically, you want to get him an Xbox 360, not an Xbox. its kinda like the difference between a playstation 2 and playstation 3, the Xbox 360 is the most recent edition of the Xbox.

You will get ONE controller with the Xbox 360 as standard and depending on the offers you pursue, you can get an EXTRA controller and/or games.

You will probably be paying about 300 euro overall for everything, if you wanted to get him games and controllers etc.

A few things that will help me give you better info,

Do you know what games he likes?
    Would he play online?
    Would he play with friends?
    Is he good with technology (likes geeky stuff)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi there welcome to boards :)
    Yes xbox is the old console, xbox 360 is the newer one that most are playing.
    I suggest you go for xbox 360 Elite, this is basically the same as xbox 360 but with a larger Hard Drive [ie storage space for games,demos,movies etc]
    The bog standard xbox 360 is only 20 Gig HD where as the Elite has a 120 Gig HD.
    If he gets into it and enjoys the experience you will be glad you went for the Elite.
    Also the latest Elites are Jasper models which to you and me means more reliable and less power hungry with apparently better components than the older non Jasper ones..

You can get an xbox 360 Elite in most retails stores for 249 euros, that comes with a wireless controller, and 2 new games.
    Shop around, smyths do the above deal.

Good luck with your purchase.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lilhelp

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hiya, ok basically, you want to get him an Xbox 360, not an Xbox. its kinda like the difference between a playstation 2 and playstation 3, the Xbox 360 is the most recent edition of the Xbox.

You will get ONE controller with the Xbox 360 as standard and depending on the offers you pursue, you can get an EXTRA controller and/or games.

You will probably be paying about 300 euro overall for everything, if you wanted to get him games and controllers etc.

A few things that will help me give you better info,

Do you know what games he likes?
    Would he play online?
    Would he play with friends?
    Is he good with technology (likes geeky stuff)?

Hey thanks a million for your reply!

Ok so... he likes soccer, rugby and i presume other boy games like shooting etc...:confused:
    ya prob play on line.
    yes he'll play with friends
    not good with technology!!

I like games such as guitar hero, sing star etc... can you play those on xbox 360??

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi there welcome to boards :)
    Yes xbox is the old console, xbox 360 is the newer one that most are playing.
    I suggest you go for xbox 360 Elite, this is basically the same as xbox 360 but with a larger Hard Drive [ie storage space for games,demos,movies etc]
    The bog standard xbox 360 is only 20 Gig HD where as the Elite has a 120 Gig HD.
    If he gets into it and enjoys the experience you will be glad you went for the Elite.
    Also the latest Elites are Jasper models which to you and me means more reliable and less power hungry with apparently better components than the older non Jasper ones..

You can get an xbox 360 Elite in most retails stores for 249 euros, that comes with a wireless controller, and 2 new games.
    Shop around, smyths do the above deal.

Good luck with your purchase.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it :)

Thanks so much for the welcome :D and also for getting back to me!!
    I'm actually starting to understand about xbox!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey thanks a million for your reply!

Ok so... he likes soccer, rugby and i presume other boy games like shooting etc...:confused:
    ya prob play on line.
    yes he'll play with friends
    not good with technology!!

I like games such as guitar hero, sing star etc... can you play those on xbox 360??

Ok then as said above, you'd be better off looking for the Xbox Elite, this is the BLACK version of the Xbox360.

You can play guitar hero on Xbox 360 but as far as i'm aware sing star is a playstation only brand BUT I think Xbox has something very similar called Lips.

The smyths offer is very good, if you can, it's worth having a look around, just in case. The likes of GAME, GameStop, HMV and Xtra Vision are all worth looking at.

As a basis, what you want would be something like
    • Xbox 360 Elite
    • one EXTRA controller (two in total)
    • 2 games (you know him best here, you can guess what he'd like)

for anything between 220 - 320.

if i hear any good offers, i'll post them back up here

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ok then as said above, you'd be better off looking for the Xbox Elite, this is the BLACK version of the Xbox360.

You can play guitar hero on Xbox 360 but as far as i'm aware sing star is a playstation only brand BUT I think Xbox has something very similar called Lips.

The smyths offer is very good, if you can, it's worth having a look around, just in case. The likes of GAME, GameStop, HMV and Xtra Vision are all worth looking at.

As a basis, what you want would be something like
    • Xbox 360 Elite
    • one EXTRA controller (two in total)
    • 2 games (you know him best here, you can guess what he'd like)
    for anything between 220 - 320.

if i hear any good offers, i'll post them back up here

Wow you've been a great help to me!! Thank you:D
    At least i know what i'm looking for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Wow you've been a great help to me!! Thank you:D
    At least i know what i'm looking for now.

Around €220 will get you the Elite 120GB xbox360 with an extra controller and three games - two of them come with the free controller and are not very good but the third one is your choice from a pretty decent selection (FIFA 10 = football, numerous first-person shooter games etc).

The offer is on Amazon.co.uk so you'll need a credit card and an account with them. Make sure to choose "Super Saver" delivery during checkout to get free delivery :)

Advertisement