If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9604 - connecting wirelessly?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,
    Am really really really thinking about purchasing a 37pfl9604 by the end of the week.

Am just wondering how easy it is to connect it to my wireless network which I have locked down and hidden. Ok, so I can broadcast the network name. But is it easy to make the tv a trusted device? (would the best way to do this to make my network open, let it see the tv and then add the tv as trusted that way, instead of trying to figure out an address for the tv??).

I'm assuming the tv asks for the network key at some point?

As a matter of interest, is the streaming from say iplayer, or five-playback etc quick enough to watch a programme in comfort as this is a selling point for me.

Ta for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Sor_fes2

Sorry its taken a little while for me to get to you.

Right-o

37PFL9604H Wireless net TV - the top dog in our 37" LCD Range - a really excellent TV this is..

As far as setting up the NET TV side of things the TV will hunt out all the wireless networks in your location (if you live in an apartment block there will be MANY!) when you first install it.
    All you then need to do is select your network from the list and follow the prompts from the TV. It will ask for the WPA code, just enter this into the menu on the TV - its a one off thing. and your pretty much good to go.

As far as BBCiPlayer is concerned you cant access this as it requires FLASH, something the TV isn't compatiable with.

You can of course plug your PC into the TV and use it as a big mmoonitor should you wish.

Hope this answers your questions for you.

If you have anymore fire away!

Oh I DO have these in stock should you like me to reserve one for you?????

Cheers
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sor_fes2

Hi Ashley,
    Thank you for getting back to me.

Though now I think I just want to curse the tv!

I know the picture is absolutely gorgeous. But the Net Tv was also a big selling point. But if it can't handle flash, which knocks out BBC iplayer and I think Five play-again and probably the other tv channel playback services.... I wonder what exactly is the point of Net Tv. If I want to surf I'll use my laptop.... but to watch-again tv programmes, and some of those in HD... I'd like to use my TV...?!

I now need to wonder why I should spend so much money on this tv compared to other tvs :-(

Not-as-happy-as-I-was -earlier.
    *sigh*

Aggggghhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

the purpose is many wonderful things starting as lowly as automatic firmware updates, middling around checking out bookmarks and youtube instead of ads and cherrytopping at streaming media from your box upstairs. Oh and the fricin' ace picture

just my $0.02 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

NET TV is not intended to be a PC browser replacement. It's handy to check a few sites like youtube, dailymotion, weather, etc. But for anything more than that I use my PC connected to the TV.

As Hick says, the wireless comes into it's own for downloading updates (no messing with USB sticks), streaming media from a media server, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

sor_fes2 wrote: »
    But if it can't handle flash, which knocks out BBC iplayer and I think Five play-again and probably the other tv channel playback services....

Isn't BBC iPlayer restricted to the UK anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sor_fes2

Hmm... So really you're all saying, just go and buy the tv cause it really is worth price?

I wonder though, if there is any possible way for Philips to update the software/firmware in the future to enable streaming of (online/playagain) tv-channels 'cause that really makes a lot of sense to me. But I'm guessing that onw slight difficulty is minimal 'memory' to install downloaded software like flash..

Argh....I just so thought I knew what I wanted and I do still want the tv but it seems like a lot of extra money when maybe I should do with less. :-(

I know the picture is gorgeous as I've seen it in-shop but...

So is that a 'yes, go buy it and stop messing around' or 'nah.'?

PS. I live in N.Ireland so I can access iplayer etc. Hopeing to get sorted out the RTE online, just waiting for RTE to update my details as coming from N.I instead of UK. Not that there will necessarily be anything online that I want to watch, but I like to keep my options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

yes, go buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, got mine in September and I still sit there and smile at it regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

sor_fes2 wrote: »
    PS. I live in N.Ireland so I can access iplayer etc.

Ah! Then you'd probably want to be talking to the RS guys in the Belfast store (Dave/Kenny) rather than Ash who is in the Philips store in Dublin. Or maybe not...

No offence Ash. :o

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.