Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were public sector workers ordered to strike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

O it must be FACT its on twitter..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Do you know ANYTHING about how a strike is organised?

First off, everyone is asked vote. It is entirely anonymous, there are no names or numbers or anything on the polling card.

If someone is claiming they were forced to strike, then they should grow a pair of balls and use their actions as a means of standing by what they're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

possibly the tweet is referring to employees who voted against going on strike being compelled to go on strike ?

possibly the tweet is referring to employees who voted against going on strike being compelled to go on strike ?

If they voted against action and are still dead against action, thinking it goes against their morals, then they have the option to leave the union.

I'm sick of hearing people not taking responsibility for themselves. FGS, if you disagree with something, then do something about it. If you don't find it a big enough deal to leave the union over, then STFU.

Btw, the above is not aimed at any posters here, just whinging workers in general!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

some PS employees that are not in the union and didnt want to strike because they cant afford the one days pay cut were politely told thats its in your best interest not to turn up for work.

doesnt matter if your not in the union etc etc or outside with a big sign....just dont turn up for work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a public sector worker, who isnt in a union and I couldnt go to work today, as my place of work was closed and locked. So its unpaid leave for me.

+1

had no choice about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm on a rest day :D

Nightwish wrote: »
    I'm a public sector worker, who isnt in a union and I couldnt go to work today, as my place of work was closed and locked. So its unpaid leave for me.

In that case, did you approach your HR/the DofF to let them know that you wanted to use AL as the PS decided, against your wishes, to disallow you from working?

In that case, did you approach your HR/the DofF to let them know that you wanted to use AL as the PS decided, against your wishes, to disallow you from working?

we were not allowed use AL at all, unless it was pre booked before the date of strikes were announced. that messege came down from our HR dept.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    we were not allowed use AL at all, unless it was pre booked before the date of strikes were announced. that messege came down from our HR dept.

I just can't get my head around this. One group of people can't dictate to others outside that group, what to do. :mad::mad:

Very bad actions taken from HR/Management. If I was in your shoes, I'd be asking for my pay not to be docked as it was not your choice to stay at home. I'm sure there's something illegal about that...

I just can't get my head around this. One group of people can't dictate to others outside that group, what to do. :mad::mad:

Very bad actions taken from HR/Management. If I was in your shoes, I'd be asking for my pay not to be docked as it was not your choice to stay at home. I'm sure there's something illegal about that...

i dont know tbh, i was told in polite terms that i should not be showing up for work. i suppose at the end of the day i could of stood my ground but these guys sit beside me everyday and are my supervisors etc so i didnt want the hassle of been labelled either. when it comes to my end of contract etc its these guys that decide if im needed or not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I partially agree......

But look at it in a purely democratic way.
    I didnt want FF in government the past few times, and voted against them. Didnt have much choice in the end though as the majority won out.

Rock and a hard place, kceire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

In our place union workers were a minority so most of us were in work. We were told by HR that we couldn't take the day off but our managers ok'd it for those who really wanted the day off. I was chatting to them on the picket and everyone was in good form.

Rock and a hard place, kceire :(

tell me about it, i dont want to cause tensions in there, i need this job! so had to go with the flow tbh. down a days pay too, and i cannot afford to strike on Dec 3rd if it goes ahead so i will most definately be in work on that day.

tell me about it, i dont want to cause tensions in there, i need this job! so had to go with the flow tbh. down a days pay too, and i cannot afford to strike on Dec 3rd if it goes ahead so i will most definately be in work on that day.

I don't have the appetite for another strike day either. I'm not on giant wages either, so will have to think long and hard about what the union's plans are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep, I know of others in the same position who weren't in a union but had to now take a day's unpaid leave. You can't report for work if your building is closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep, I know of others in the same position who weren't in a union but had to now take a day's unpaid leave. You can't report for work if your building is closed...

I can understand why you can't take A.L., since your employeer can decide to not grant it. But surely if the office is closed then you're entitled to get paid? It sounds illegal for the offices to do this...

I'm not sure who would be at fault in this instance. I guess if there's noone there to open the building, what can you do. HR/Management should have been more sympathetic to those not in the union though and granted annual leave days to those forced to stay off work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There was no one to open the offices where I work. I will have to ask if I could take AL next week. I don't know how that will go down though. Some colleagues are militant union members.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's a bit crap. I remember working for Irish rail a few years ago and we would get a day's paid leave when the train drivers were on strike.

Stark wrote: »
    That's a bit crap. I remember working for Irish rail a few years ago and we would get a day's paid leave when the train drivers were on strike.

doesnt happen in the local authority i work for. no choice for me and no pay for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Many Of my Neighbours who had the day off went shopping up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Can a union call for a strike, on a specific day, before balloting its members. As I was talking with a teacher who had not voted on anything at the time the date was announced, and did not have a ballot, for quite a few weeks after the unions announced the date of the 24th of Nov.
    If you are not a union member you have to make your boss aware that you are available for work before the strike date, it is up to him to sort it out after that but you have to get paid. Only thing is that it may require you passing a strike line, not something I would be willing to do/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Seen three teachers from my childs school today shopping in Newry at 1pm, wonder how many PS workers went up north, they want sympathy and support from us and they don't even support their own or local businesses :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Seen three teachers from my childs school today shopping in Newry at 1pm, wonder how many PS workers went up north, they want sympathy and support from us and they don't even support their own or local businesses :rolleyes: :p

were you shopping too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Absurdum wrote: »
    were you shopping too?
    up north of course :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Where I am, non union members were not allowed to provide a service as there was no management to oversee it and weren't allowed to take annual leave. Furthermore were told that there would be disciplinary action if they took unpaid leave so basically had to come in, pass the pickets and sit doing nothing for the day!

• Advertisement

up north of course :p

so its ok for you to shop up north and spend your money out of state??? :P

Advertisement